AKG K340 Electrostatic Phones
Mar 2, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #46 of 1,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by esuko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K340 with it high impedance will work with all the tube amps. K701/2 with it's 62ohm impedance used with a OTL using too low output capacitance can result in early bass roll. Generally you get more power with high impedance than low impedance strain using OTL amp.

ok that makes total sense actually, thanks for clearing that up (also just scrolled up and read the "K340 is 400 ohms" post....
eek.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #52 of 1,184
I friend of mine has them and he is running them with a RSA Raptor. They sound incredible with that amplifier and Mullard tubes.

That's where I listen to them next to the K701 and Iliked them so much that I went ebay and got a pair.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 2, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #53 of 1,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman59 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I friend of mine has them and he is running them with a RSA Raptor. They sound incredible with that amplifier and Mullard tubes.

That's where I listen to them next to the K701 and Iliked them so much that I went ebay and got a pair.

I just had a look at it on their website, have to say I like it's looks
regular_smile .gif

But they are expensive, I saw the price in USD. I don't know how much this is in the uk though. Maybe 900 pounds.

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #55 of 1,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDL-speakers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio Affair UK, Suggested these two Headphone amps that would get the most out of my K340.

Take a look and tell me what you think please.

Creek OBH21SE (£204.95) - Audio Affair - Creek OBH 21SE Headphone Amplifier - Available from Audio Affair

Graham Slee Solo MC (£464.79) - Audio Affair - Graham Slee Solo SRG MC Monitor Class Headphone Amplifier

I am quite suprised of their suggestion. Graham Slee Solo will not work, or you could say it definetly works destroing bass tighness and altering the frequency response. If you want to stick to UK brands Rega Ear would be cheap, has ok power and has less than 1ohm output impedance.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #56 of 1,184
I'll post my findings with the K340s.

Tried them initially with a Darkvoice 332i and found them flat and lifeless.
Then started to look into big ol' amps utilising the speaker outs, which I thought an impossible scenario to work, but was impressed with the results from a Pioneer A77x.

Further investigation led me to the old Luxman range of amps after reading their headphone amps were rather good for integrated amps and I subsequently bought a a Luxman r-1050.

This has brought the K340s to a level of sound I believe could only be beaten by some serious headphone amps out there, costing several times the amount I paid for the Luxman.

So my tip would be to experiment with some old amps and receivers before going all out on a hi-end headphone amp, the K340s need alot of juice to make them bounce.

I cannot see me ever liking a pair of headphones more than the K340s FWIW.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #57 of 1,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by notuagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll post my findings with the K340s.

Tried them initially with a Darkvoice 332i and found them flat and lifeless.
Then started to look into big ol' amps utilising the speaker outs, which I thought an impossible scenario to work, but was impressed with the results from a Pioneer A77x.

Further investigation led me to the old Luxman range of amps after reading their headphone amps were rather good for integrated amps and I subsequently bought a a Luxman r-1050.

This has brought the K340s to a level of sound I believe could only be beaten by some serious headphone amps out there, costing several times the amount I paid for the Luxman.

So my tip would be to experiment with some old amps and receivers before going all out on a hi-end headphone amp, the K340s need alot of juice to make them bounce.

I cannot see me ever liking a pair of headphones more than the K340s FWIW.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the input. Did you find the 332i lacking in dynamics?

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #58 of 1,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDL-speakers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio Affair UK, Suggested these two Headphone amps that would get the most out of my K340.

Take a look and tell me what you think please.

Creek OBH21SE (£204.95) - Audio Affair - Creek OBH 21SE Headphone Amplifier - Available from Audio Affair

Graham Slee Solo MC (£464.79) - Audio Affair - Graham Slee Solo SRG MC Monitor Class Headphone Amplifier

K340 are very hard to driver properly. i would look to get as much feedback as possible on headphone/amp combinations before buying anything. with the right amp though, the 340 can sound very good.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #60 of 1,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would I be somewhat correct in assuming the K340 is fit snugly between the K701 and K1000 in terms of drivability and whatnot?

also (and I may be mistaken), I'd read something about K701/2 and OTL being a bad pairing, is the 340 just that different due to the electrostatic aspect, or did I misread (or did someone get their facts wrong?)

OTL outputs need high impedance loads (because they are essentially direct taps from tubes). K340 can deliver a good load, but K701/2 is 62 ohm and cannot do so. Nothing to do with K340 having an electret driver (considering it also has a dynamic driver).

K340 fits closer to K1000 in terms of drivability. It is easier per say (you will get reasonable performance with weaker amps), but it can gain just about as much from good amplification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back