AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
May 18, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #976 of 4,058
Anyone know if the K3003… Oops! Sorry, just read the last couple of pages and realised this is a GR07 thread.

May 18, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #977 of 4,058
Quote:
Anyone know if the K3003… Oops! Sorry, just read the last couple of pages and realised this is a GR07 thread.

I am glad to finally be able to contribute to this thread...^^^^....LOL!! 
size]

May 19, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #978 of 4,058
Quote:

I know, mildly annoying eh?

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 19, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #980 of 4,058
Quote:
I know, mildly annoying eh?

Funny. All I asked you to do was explain you last sentence, so that I too may come and worship the K3003 (joke...King Herod and the wise men). For all you know I could be contemplating getting the K3003.

Instead of breaking it down, which is too long, I'll just say what the GR07 does better to me. I prefer the balance of the midrange ever so slightly on the GR07 as it's got more warmth to it. The AKG's center stage also seems a bit too small compared to the width extension. But everything else is plain better besides this.

May 20, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #982 of 4,058
Quote:
Whatever, we can disagree. It has nothing to do with the point of the post. We have 3 posters that own(ed) or have full access to the GR07 and like it that agree it doesn't have the best low level res. and EQ wont fix it. Simple point you can also disagree with if you like.

A year ago, I had to explain to you how the roll on a resistor loaded EQ7 wasn't because the IEM appeared to have a higher impedance to the source but instead that the damping factor had decreased. The opposite. Now you are the graph and resistor whisperer. I'll continue to allow my ears to put all those cool measurements into a tidy package. I don't buy listening devices for my eyes.

I'd really like to hear a K3003 some time. Perhaps we should get back to that. The point of the post that started this silly exchange is that EQ won't make another phone a K3003. No more, no less. If you don't like one of the examples, I don't happen to agree but, OK..

This post made me so happy it was almost like eating chocolate. Does this mean I have a problem ?

May 27, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #983 of 4,058
I finally got around to listening to a pair of these. Here are the impressions I wrote:

AKG K3003 with default filters from the Mezzo AK100: I've been wanting to give these a good listen for a while now. They make my XBA-30s sound like mud, but are rather harsh in the mids and treble, despite the bass being about right for me. Perfect for me would be their sound with the and the clear sound of the Sure SH846. I can't help wondering if it isn't the cable (yes, can of worms but...) as back when I had TF10s, I had an issue with harsh mids and treble that was fixed by switching to a Null Audio cable. Now if I could battle off these, the Shures, FitEars....

May 27, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #984 of 4,058
Quote:
I finally got around to listening to a pair of these. Here are the impressions I wrote:

AKG K3003 with default filters from the Mezzo AK100: I've been wanting to give these a good listen for a while now. They make my XBA-30s sound like mud, but are rather harsh in the mids and treble, despite the bass being about right for me. Perfect for me would be their sound with the and the clear sound of the Sure SH846. I can't help wondering if it isn't the cable (yes, can of worms but...) as back when I had TF10s, I had an issue with harsh mids and treble that was fixed by switching to a Null Audio cable. Now if I could battle off these, the Shures, FitEars....

I take it you used the stock tips? I'm asking because some people, as is very often the case with IEMs, found different results using diff tips. Although I believe average_joe's claim that the K3003's stock tips was an issue with this IEM to be rather an exaggeration (he said he tried about 20 diff tips (!) to get the best SQ [to his ears]), someone like shotgunshane tried some tri-flanges (?) at some point and seemed to get great results. I personally got a great fit and SQ from the stock medium tips.

Hope you also remembered to have a shallow-ish fit.

A bit odd you found the K3003s to be "rather harsh in the mids", as often the midrange does not seem to be an issue with the K3003s for most people — unless you're referring specifically to issues with the upper mids / lower treble, which some people seemed not to be entirely convinced with.

May 27, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #985 of 4,058
i'm stoked! finally found a place where I can give them a try and they've got the ie800. :)

May 28, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #986 of 4,058
Quote:

Hey I'd be interested in hearing your impressions between these the Shures and the 334's. Btw, I prefer the k3003 to the tg!334 and I use monster tips with the AKG (the spherical shape seals well).

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 28, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #987 of 4,058
Let's face it, TWFKs don't render the smoothest highs out there, even if the K3003's implementation is easily among the best I've heard. On the plus side, you get bell-like clarity and nice brassy cymbals.

Listening to my XBA-3s right now and they're super-unoffensive, but indeed a noticeable step down in clarity. Can't have everything at once in an IEM, I'm afraid..

May 28, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #990 of 4,058
To answer everyone, but in summary:

The K3003s were entirely stock. I suppose it could have been the tips a little, but there was harshness in the sound which I didn't like (ignoring the FR, which I did).
The 846s, apart from my personal dislike of the FR, were excellent otherwise. Maybe because of the bass quantity or maybe phase issues (I await measurements) I didn't feel that the soundstage was great. Maybe I expect too much from IEMs though.
The 334s are too V-shaped for me and I don't find the treble as clean as I'd like either. They remind me of D5000s or TH900s except I have no disagreements with the treble in the latter. I just don't like that much bass.
XBA-3s: What James4444 said. You should try the microfibre cloth/foam mod by the way.
The EX1000s had what I call the "Japanese screaming treble" -- no thanks.
I didn't notice anything offensive in the JH-13 demos, Parterre or 1plus2 with crazy expensive cable. More listening time with those in the future though.

Note that I'm used to Stax and Audeze, so I tend to be more picky. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back