AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Sep 6, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #3,886 of 4,058
Hi,
Here are my comments on the K3003 vs the AK T8ie mkii (the Astell and kern version of the Xelento) https://head-fi.org/threads/akg-k3003-high-end-3-way-system-headphone.554628/page-251#post-13241158. My view is that if you are looking at single dynamic drivers the pinnacle is either the Xelento/T8ie mk ii or the Dita's in their various manifestations. The IE800 was okay but I'd put it a rank below those two. For me the key was fit, here the Xelento is supreme. For what its worth I do not rate the much-lauded Campfire Vega finding it way to bass focused. The lower range Lyra is a more even handed iem but has its own problems (wind noise and the equalization vent). Please note this is with my ears, my sources and my music, YMMV.

For a brief comparo of the K3003 and the Andromeda this comment was made last year https://head-fi.org/threads/campfir...romeda-and-nova.805107/page-168#post-12758865. I found the Andromeda quite pleasant, but found that the housing was too large for ears (same with JH stuff and the 64 Audio gear). As I indicated to James in my earlier response, after the K3003 I found myself gravitating to a DD sound rather than a BA or a hybrid. The sound differences in driver technology should be considered. For what its worth, i did not find enough difference in the CA Dorado, their DD/2BA, over the K3003 to warrant a purchase. Happy to discuss.

regards,

Giles

Thanks a lot!

So you reckon that Dorado and K3003 have similar sound signature and technical ability...?

What BA/hybrid UIEM will you consider an upgrade to K3003 BTW?

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #3,887 of 4,058
Thanks a lot!

So you reckon that Dorado and K3003 have similar sound signature and technical ability...?

What BA/hybrid UIEM will you consider an upgrade to K3003 BTW?

Depends. In a quiet room the Dorado sounds bassier with a "fun" signature. The K3003 sounds more precise and more even top to bottom. Depending on your ear shape the longer nozzle on the Dorado may provide better isolation or it may protrude too much from your ear. Outside the noise equalisation vent on the Dorado is annoying in anything over a gentle zephyr - you will hear wind noise. One thing with the K3003 they have a very low impedance, matching them with daps/amps is a little trickier. If I was going to use one of my favourite analogies, the Dorado tells you why the band is playing, the K3003 what the band is playing. All IMO ears, music and opinion.

As I've indicated in my other posts, if I wanted a hybrid, I'd just get a K3003. That is of course due to my requirements, which include comfort but doesn't include things like removable cables. Most other multi BA or hybrids are just too large for my ears, which rules out things like the UM Merlin and Martian, the Lear BD4.2, the EAMT Obravo series and the new JH Lola (midrange DD, high and low BA!). All of these may or may not be an improvement over the K3003, I just can't test them because they're too freaking large!.

I've arrived at a position where I prefer a DD not a BA sound - things like timbre, decay and cohesion rang higher for me than speed and soundstage (which BAs are generally better at). Following on from one of your other respondents, if I was going to move on from the AK T8ie mk ii, it would be to the Shure KSE 1500 another single (albeit electrostatic) driver iem. (I also have the baby Stax which hinted at what the Shure could do!).

regards,

Giles

NB I did find it interesting that not one single review of the Dorado even acknowledged the K3003 which to my mind rather compromises the Dorado review....

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #3,888 of 4,058
I like a fun signature as much as the next person, but I'm not sure that it qualifies as an upgrade from a neutral reference IEM; it's apples to motorcycles. IE800 is a difficult recommendation given how cheap K3003 is.

Sep 6, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #3,889 of 4,058
I like a fun signature as much as the next person, but I'm not sure that it qualifies as an upgrade from a neutral reference IEM; it's apples to motorcycles. IE800 is a difficult recommendation given how cheap K3003 is.
I've been afraid of "cheap" AKG K3003(I)s, as I have seen so much discussion of counterfeits (even to the point of a "Stockholm syndrome" effect of folks rhapsodizing about how wonderful their known-counterfeit 3003s are!) Amazon is $799 for Prime-Sold-by-Phototech-fulfilled by Amazon, which is below the $999 price that had been standard for these (i.e. on the AKG Headphones website). A supplier of new 3003 on Amazon is at $535, but I would worry about counterfeit at that price.

Sep 6, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #3,892 of 4,058
If I was going to use one of my favourite analogies, the Dorado tells you why the band is playing, the K3003 what the band is playing.

Nice analogy :beerchug:

I've arrived at a position where I prefer a DD not a BA sound - things like timbre, decay and cohesion rang higher for me than speed and soundstage (which BAs are generally better at)

With hybrid you can have all of these, and if it's exceptionally well engineered like K3003 you should get nice cohesion as well. Why not to enjoy from the best of the two worlds?

^agree

I own both a genuine and fake pair and to look at them you just can't easily tell the difference. I would be wary of where I sourced them if I was in the market.

How's the fake vs. the genuine sound-wise?

Sep 7, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #3,894 of 4,058
Nice analogy :beerchug:

With hybrid you can have all of these, and if it's exceptionally well engineered like K3003 you should get nice cohesion as well. Why not to enjoy from the best of the two worlds?

How's the fake vs. the genuine sound-wise?

Not quite sure you realise I've owned a K3003 since 2012. While I continue to use them, they are no longer my apex iem for all the reasons i've articulated in my posts.

This is not to slight the K3003, merely to point out that my sound reproduction preferences are better meet elsewhere. I have been and continue to be an advocate for the K3003 against FOTM which don't match up - in this very thread i've pointed out to my ears the failings of the Dunu 2000, Fidue A83 and the iBasso IT03, all of which were held to be 'way better' than the K3003. My approach to analysing sound signature tends to be a little more complex than 'OMG these are the bestest thing i ever heard. Therefore they are the best ever'.

Again, happy to discuss.

Regards,

Giles

Sep 7, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #3,895 of 4,058

"Fun" from my perspective is not neutral, generally with an emphasis on the bass to provide music with a more propulsive sense. The Noble K10/Katana/Encore similarly do not have a neutral signature, however most people(myself included) would see them as an upgrade over the K3003. Absolute neutrality is not always the apex of listening perspectives.

regards,

Giles

Sep 7, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #3,896 of 4,058
"Fun" from my perspective is not neutral, generally with an emphasis on the bass to provide music with a more propulsive sense. The Noble K10/Katana/Encore similarly do not have a neutral signature, however most people(myself included) would see them as an upgrade over the K3003. Absolute neutrality is not always the apex of listening perspectives.

regards,

Giles

These are multi BA IEMs. AFAIK they have not-so-different sound signature from one another. How would you compare them to the hybrid K3003? I'm more into clarity, separation and sound stage these days...:nerd:

Sep 7, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #3,897 of 4,058
anyone heard the JH16v2's? Its got the adjustable bass and 10 drivers. seems like it could be an upgrade to me.
I have the CA Vega's, and I think in a lot of ways it was an upgrade. the bass is tighter on the K3003, though, but not bigger.

Sep 7, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #3,898 of 4,058
anyone heard the JH16v2's? Its got the adjustable bass and 10 drivers. seems like it could be an upgrade to me.
I have the CA Vega's, and I think in a lot of ways it was an upgrade. the bass is tighter on the K3003, though, but not bigger.

How would you compare Vega to K3003 especially from the clarity and sound stage aspects? If you can say few words about Vega vs. IE800 (they're both DD), that'd be also highly appreciated.

Sep 8, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #3,899 of 4,058
I didn't hear the JH16 but moved to JH Angie from the k3003. It is an obvious upgrade for me however k3003 is better in some points like wider sound stage. The Angie is more balanced and more life like. The stage is a bit smaller but still more 3D. And the Angie is absolutely more coherent.
I liked the k3003 but would never go back from the Angie

Sep 8, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #3,900 of 4,058
I didn't hear the JH16 but moved to JH Angie from the k3003. It is an obvious upgrade for me however k3003 is better in some points like wider sound stage. The Angie is more balanced and more life like. The stage is a bit smaller but still more 3D. And the Angie is absolutely more coherent.
I liked the k3003 but would never go back from the Angie

Interesting...

When comparing the FR graphs between the two it seems that both have similar sound signature but I'll say that K3003 should be a little bit more coherent. Not by far.

K3003
k3003.jpg

Angie
Angie.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back