AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
May 23, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #3,856 of 4,058
The "only" problem that I have had with my AKG K3003i is an intermittent connection within the in-line remote, which makes itself known by randomly stopping play when hooked to an iPhone. It has NO effect, and is completely inaudible, on a standard DAP that does not accommodate in-line controls of pause, play, volume, etc. Harmon Karden directs me to local authorized service places, but they say they cannot get the parts. Good thing it is not present all the time.

Jul 8, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #3,858 of 4,058
Anyone knows the SQ of K3003LE? Coz I can't find any review on it ...except one in Chinese...Is it only available in Asia(for PRC people since they like gold so much)? I saw one today when I do shopping (I am from Hong Kong and K3003LE is everywhere) I wonder what's the difference between K3003 and the K3003LE (also the K3003i)...can anyone help?

The only English link I found...
http://www.hmv.com.hk/goods/1032535.html

Jul 9, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #3,859 of 4,058
I'm amid my eight-week European tour (three weeks and two days left!) and I have to say, AirPods, knockoff K3003i, and Bose QC25 make a very good "triple threat" portable rig. I suppose the KSE1500 would be better, but it would also be much heavier, with the amplifier/battery and so on, and much more of a worry to lose. The thing is, I auditioned real and fake k3003 and they sound so similar that distinguishing them was only possible A/Bing them, and then only in Harman's soundproof(ish) room. I also treat the k3003, I'll be honest, like schiit. I throw them in the outer pocket of my backpack along with a lightning cable, some napkins, a few pens, and so far at least they're fine. That said, I paid $312 for them shipped, which is far far below MSRP, but there it is. They also came with just one pair of silicone tips.

K3003/i's biggest weakness, and different tips that aren't so snug in my ear canals might solve this, is that I can't chew with them in. When I do, the chewing becomes so loud that the music is drowned out by bites. It's a terrible "user experience." In fact, even walking around London with them was unpleasant because the steps likewise were too audible to enjoy the music—the seal that the current tips have is such that their raison d'être is travel in cars (as the passenger), commuter/long distance trains, and in whatever rooms I'm staying in as my temporary residence. I find that I prefer the bose on planes and if I have long journeys on loud public transit (London tube especially). For quieter public transit, especially that requires a lot of moving, that doesn't bang around as much, the AirPods are fine.

I'm on the record as being somewhat skeptical (you could perhaps even say contemptuous) of people who clutch their pearls too much about having the very best portable rig. The ambient sound of subways is just so loud that only ANC and the most aggressively ear-canal-sealing IEMs are going to block out enough of the noise for their actual sound quality to matter much. Carting around a boutique high-res player, a chord mojo, a Woo WA8 in three different pockets for that HD800S you've got hooked up to an aftermarket cable is not going to do you much good as you whistle through the San Francisco Transbay Tube or uptown on a 3 train in New York. In fact, it's going to be rather comical.

All of this is to say that k3003i is very nice for what it is, and has a secure place in my collection, but its limitations (which may be in part to the tips I'm using), make it not my first portable choice. I have come around on bluetooth for casual and much mobile listening. Yes, it's lossy. Yes, there's degradation of quality. Yes, it makes my tidal subscription somewhat comical. (I do use it at home, though.)

The complement of features with which apple has outfitted AirPods have planted a flag in the ground. It may be supremely unfair that other OEMs don't have apple's control over the mobile OS (never mind a streaming service), or the deep pockets to design "W1" chips to help with easy switching among bluetooth-paired devices, infrared sensors to automatically pause when one earpiece is removed and begin playing when it is replaced, and accelerometers to detect one tap to pause, two taps to summon Siri, etc. I have no illusions about AirPods having a premium sound. They have an acceptable sound that give you some approximation of what a piece of music sounds like. Crap bass, crap mids, crap highs, blah blah blah, yeah, I know. (In fact, perhaps for his reason, I use them more for podcasts than music for this reason.) Nevertheless, their form factor is supremely wonderful and should be a challenge to everyone else to stop designing the head-fi equivalent of Mac Portables—I'm looking at you, Bose necklace—in 2017.

Since I've left the states, excluding podcasts as non-music, perhaps 80 of the music I've listened to has been with AirPods, 18% on K3003, and 2% on Bose. I'm happy with my trio.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #3,860 of 4,058
I have a handful of audio equipment that I would never part with.... the Sennheiser HD800 / HDVD800, the Grado PS1000, the Chord Hugo.... AND the AKG K3003i. For me, the fit is great. My only problem is that the in-line remote that distinguishes the 3003i from the 3003 has a short in it. There is no effect on the sound, but when I use it on an iPod, the short stops and starts the music sometimes on cable flexing. Neither Harmon Kardon nor their dealers can fix it.

Jul 11, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #3,862 of 4,058
Further to the post above, does anyone know of how to get hold of AKG original replacement eartips? I have misplaced the box containing my own, and they don't seem to be anywhere on the AKG website. Many thanks!

Jul 11, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #3,863 of 4,058
Are there any aftermarket silicone (or other material) tips that bear recommendation?

So just sat at my desk running through a few of the usual suspects with the grey (standard) filter used and medium sized tips. Key to everything is ensuring that the tip doesn't cover the air equalisation hole on the stem of the iem. Response for each based on a ) ergonomics and b) impact on and variation from sound with AKG silicone

Spinfits: a) Poor, very tight fit on iem, protrude too much from the ear and the entire weight is borne by the tip. b) can't be worn while walking as the sound swings between too bassy -good seal and too shrill-poor seal- in a 15 second span. not recommended.
Sony Hybrids: a) Okay. small tip stem means can slide all the way down to the mouth of the tip without covering the air equalisation hole. Fits quite deep in the ear.b) tends to emphasise the bass due to insertion depth.
Comply Tx500: a) Okay, fills the ear but still protrudes a bit, though not as much as Spinfits. reasonably comfortable, enhanced passive noise cancellation. b) Too bassy, but we knew that was going to be the outcome didn't we. Probably will go better used in conjunction with the white (high) filter which I don't have with me. I suspect the TSX 500 might also be a reasonable fir given that the shape of the foam is not too dissimilar to the AKG Silicone.
Ortofon Silicone: a)Good, due to the extra softness of this particular silcone probably the most comfortable, a little tight getting on. b) little bass light cf the standard but not too bad in a quiet environment
Campfire Audio Silicone: a) Bit strange these. while the medium was too small - no seal, the large was a smidge too tight, both fit easily on the iem stem b) medium - too bright, large - too bassy (interestingly reminded me of the CA Vega - good bass, but way too much)
AK T8IE MKII silicone tips: (bit out of leftfield, but I had them and thought why not?) a) Good but quite fiddly to get on and to orientate correctly due to oval tip shape. Very comfortable with a shallow but firm fit. Not the best passive noise cancellation b) Out of the different tips tried, probably the best sound - very even handed no accentuation or diminution of frequency bands.

Overall I'd probably stick with the AKG standard silicone tips for everyday use. The Ortofon and AK tips were interesting alternates. The comply with some tweaking ie change of filter may be a good option if higher passive noise cancellation is needed (though I'm not in a rush to test this). As always these outcomes are in the context of my music, my replay devices and my ears.

regards,

Giles

Jul 24, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #3,865 of 4,058

Probably the same reason they never challenged the Dunu Dn2000 series - they looked very similar, had the same driver set-up (1dynamic 2ba) and were bandied about as K3003 performance for a much lower cost. To my eyes, most likely probable reverse engineering. Chasing breaches of intellectual property rights in China is difficult, expensive and time-consuming compared to other jurisdictions. Moreover given that production of the K3003 has moved to China, it may be that these are some form of (semi-offical) OEM, though I doubt it...

Aug 4, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #3,867 of 4,058
I bought the real K3003i yesterday and I'm very pleased with the sound quality. I'm using my AK Kann loaded with a lot of dsd and hi Rez files as my source. The bass is excellent, with superb clarity in the midrange and highs. I don't find them fatiguing at all. Their overall sound surpasses my expectations. For reference, I don't have a lot of experience with iems but I own quite a few full size headphones including the Utopias, SR009s, LCD X and HD800 among others. The K3003i is replacing my Shure E500 that I've owned for the last 10 years. I also considered the IE800 and the SE 846 but I got a great buy on a NIB K3003i that I couldn't pass up.

Aug 4, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #3,869 of 4,058
I have not. I see you have the Panache. I had that integrated amp about 10 years or so ago. I used it at one time to drive the K1000s.
Sold both of them years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back