AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Dec 9, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #3,916 of 4,058
I own a K3003 (without the remote version) made in Austria and a K3003i that was made in China. They sound pretty much the same. Maybe the K3003i is a tad warmer but that can be a "burn in" effect because they were used for a longer period.
After close inspection of these two, I reckon that actually the K3003i have slightly better build quality: no gap between the cables and the housing and the left cable is a bit thicker.
That’s awesome thank you buddy!

Jan 21, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #3,920 of 4,058
It was a flash sale before they announced the n5005, it lasted only one day. I was going to buy another pair but waited and the next day it was back to 909usd. The K3003I is My favorite earphone of all time.

Jan 27, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #3,922 of 4,058
Hi!
First time Hi Fi-er here, just purchased a brand new K3003i today (after reading countless pages on this thread haha).
My god, this is THE headphone for jazz/classical (and instrumentals). Period. It does not do well with bassy engaging music geners (eg Rick Rubin work, hip hop etc), but regardless of what's playing the clarity and soundstage is just ridiculous. My previous IEMs were AirPods (yep, you read that right). I'll be getting a Shanling M3s soon, and I'm excited to hear my music library on it. For now, my iPhone 5 + Tidal is fantastic.
These are probably the most comfortable (weight, and size) IEMs I've used (especially compared to anything by Shure/UE). A supremely underrated IEM!

Jan 27, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #3,924 of 4,058
I recommend kse1500 if you’re looking to upgrade

Well...yes of course but this is in an ENTIRE DIFFERENT price range. You can find the K3003 for 450 ish boxed brand new. I damn well expect the 3k dollar KSE1500 will sound better.

I would say the Shure SE846 would complement the AKG perfectly.

Jan 28, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #3,926 of 4,058
I'm listening my lately bought K3003i's and I have to say they sound much better paired with Galaxy S8 than with my Sony WM1A. Dynamics, clarity, soundstage, bass, vocals, all of it sound great on S8. The only part that sounds better on Sony dap are highs, much more natural.

Jan 28, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #3,927 of 4,058
Give it some burn in and hip hop will sound fantastic, I listen to mostly hip hop and I love my k3003i.
Hmmm, hip hop lacks the thump (like Beats Solo 3's, or the Focal Clears), not as engaging for rock, but I will give the AKG the benefit of the doubt.
Regardless, non-bass dependent music sounds so good I don't even care if it doesn't sound well with hip hop and the like.

Jan 28, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #3,928 of 4,058
I'm listening my lately bought K3003i's and I have to say they sound much better paired with Galaxy S8 than with my Sony WM1A. Dynamics, clarity, soundstage, bass, vocals, all of it sound great on S8. The only part that sounds better on Sony dap are highs, much more natural.
Interesting that a DAP (especially a good one like the WM1A) falls short compared to a smartphone. I'm currently using an iPhone 5, and it sounds phenomenal, however I have a Shanling M3s coming. It would be interesting to see how they compare, and if the iPhone turns out better.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #3,929 of 4,058
Interesting that a DAP (especially a good one like the WM1A) falls short compared to a smartphone. I'm currently using an iPhone 5, and it sounds phenomenal, however I have a Shanloing M3s coming. It would be interesting to see how they compare, and if the iPhone turns out better.

Samsung's Exynos chip uses Wolfson dac and my experience is it pairs good to great with most of iems I've tried. Sony on the other hand is an outstanding dap, but as always, it comes down to a synergy that is lacking here.

And if anyone's looking for a tips replacement, Inairs are bringing some great results.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #3,930 of 4,058
Well...yes of course but this is in an ENTIRE DIFFERENT price range. You can find the K3003 for 450 ish boxed brand new. I damn well expect the 3k dollar KSE1500 will sound better.

I would say the Shure SE846 would complement the AKG perfectly.
I have been looking for the k3003i new for $500 or under for a couple months and I can’t find them for less than $620ish.
Where is the best place to look or do you remember where you’ve seen them for that price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back