AKG K271-MKII
May 15, 2010 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 88

Zorodius

New Head-Fier
I got this set of headphones a few months ago on recommendation from these forums, and I just wanted to say, I love these things.

They have so much clarity and richness in the mids, which is what I'm into. Despite listening for months, I still find myself being caught by surprise at how much I like their sound. Really a great set of cans for my tastes.

They are a bit light on bass, but they dig nice and low, just without putting a lot of power into the lows.

Anyone else use these? Like em, hate em? Anyone want to suggest a good amp to match?

May 16, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #3 of 88
Same here Zorodius.  I usually rotate listening to music between my different closed cans and the 271 is the one that has the sweetest mids for me.  I run them off an Alesis mixer to tune the bass at home.  It has better bass reproduction with the velor pads on (your results may vary).  But at the same times looses some isolation compared to the pleather pads. I've tried them amped off a Nuforce Icon Mobile and didn't like the sound.  The bass that is already light just gets lighter.  The Icon Mobile works better with bass heavy phones.

p.s. I should at least mention that one of those other closed I mentioned is the SRH840 that is getting a lot of kudos online, but I still prefer the 271 over it.  But that's just me and my ears.

May 19, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 88
Count me among those who love these phones - I was primarily using them as a portable set with my ibasso D10 (which is ok), but I hooked them up tonight to my semi-new Matrix M-Stage amp because that amp seems made for my k701s. I have to suggest anyone looking for an amazing amp at a tremendous value to check out the M-Stage. It takes the k271s to a new level for me - I adore its mids - the bass is so much more defined and deep - but very controlled. A real treat. I always say these are one of the most under-rated phones out there and I always recommend them.  

Jul 1, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #5 of 88
Gooood lord these things are amazing.  I have been a K701 loyalist since their release date (sold my beloved HD600s to make those happen) and just started working in a cube farm and taking the bus to work everyday.  They gave us Sennheiser HD202,s but those are just not up to what I was looking for.  So I bought K271 MKIIs and these things are super fun to listen to.  A bit less detailed than the 701s but everything sounds a lot more in your face and warm.  Really really loving these a lot.  The bass is just so much more defined than what I am used to without being boomy or overwhelming.

Really looking forward to trying these with an amp.

Jul 1, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #6 of 88

Quote:
 Anyone want to suggest a good amp to match?

The Heed Canamp powers them really well. They make a perfect couple. You can expect a full bodied sound (bass freqs are beefed up...), golden mids and detailed but natural and organic highs.

Jul 1, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #7 of 88
big K271 fan here.  they sound great out of all my amps. 

Jul 1, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #8 of 88

I use them at work, and like them, but I prefer them a bit more with a solid state amp.

Jul 1, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #9 of 88

Quote:
It has better bass reproduction with the velor pads on (your results may vary).  But at the same times looses some isolation compared to the pleather pads.

On the contrary i found the velor pads more isolating and also very comfortable, the pleather pads was really uncomfortable giving me pain after 5 minutes.

Jul 1, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #11 of 88

Quote:

I use them at work, and like them, but I prefer them a bit more with a solid state amp.

Great phones - actually the M-Stage is a great amp for these as I previously stated - but the very reasonable Little Dot I+ Hybrid shines as well and gives you a nice flavor with the tubes - (you'll need a good dac too). I'll always own these.  

Jul 2, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #12 of 88
I politely disagree with lescanard, describing the 271 as underrated. Togther with DT 770 it is the most popular headphone in recording studios. The pros rate them as they are.

They are neutral, not bass shy. It is like real vanilla versus fake vanilla in instant pudding. People are miseducated by the food industry from early childhood.

There are headphone with more resolution detail (HD650, HD800, K701), but for use with mobile amps or even compressed audio, they are more than adequate.

My only halfhearted complaint addresses the 271's bulk. The self-adjusting headband and the integrated mute switch are brilliant. But at the time of 271 design nobody anticipated the current abundance of portable heradphone amps, with opportunities for the 271 as mobile headphone. Any folding action would have been highly appreciated from my side. 

Jul 3, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #13 of 88

Quote:
I politely disagree with lescanard, describing the 271 as underrated. Togther with DT 770 it is the most popular headphone in recording studios. The pros rate them as they are.

They are neutral, not bass shy. It is like real vanilla versus fake vanilla in instant pudding. People are miseducated by the food industry from early childhood.

There are headphone with more resolution detail (HD650, HD800, K701), but for use with mobile amps or even compressed audio, they are more than adequate.

I think you are right on on how you describe their SS - really enjoyable for me. By underrated - I guess I meant not specific to pros but in terms of your average head-fi-er is all. I find when people are looking for recommendations for some real good closed phones - the usual suspects (Shure, Denon, Audio Technica) seem to be most popular. I think they get overlooked in that regard.

Jul 3, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #14 of 88
Same here, pleather is killing those, after so many years they are still my favorite closed.

Quote:

On the contrary i found the velor pads more isolating and also very comfortable, the pleather pads was really uncomfortable giving me pain after 5 minutes.

Mar 19, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #15 of 88
sorry to add to an "old" thread....but when this can is sooooo GOOOOD...
there is no issue to adding another praise for this k271mkii.
Just gotten it on the cheap, didnt know its so light n comfy on the head.
First off, the soundstage was wide deep involving , playing off my little hippo gumstick.
I have decided to leave this set in my truck for long traffic jamsssss..
and i can have my own jammmming session in the cabin. 
L3000.gif

ps: it didnt sound like a closed can to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back