AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Aug 10, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #961 of 1,737
Mine actually sounded like an AKG K240 Studio with it's treble chopped off. I always thought maybe I had a lemon.
Never figured out the Grado thing either. Maybe it's because the Sextett is supposed to have some of those "magical mids". Mine sure didn't.

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #962 of 1,737
Jon L started the thread and gave it the title. In his first post he stated: "this thing almost sounds like a Grado, notably RS-1, in the midrange".

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #963 of 1,737
Hey sextett-ers, I just pulled the trigger on these guys after doing some research on the 240 models.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300950999145

This will be my first experience with AKG products and I'm certainly looking forward to it. Can anyone identify which of the 240s these are?

Also, would it be in my interest to slap a squaretrade warranty on them?

Many thanks,
Joe

Aug 19, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #964 of 1,737
Quote:
Hey sextett-ers, I just pulled the trigger on these guys after doing some research on the 240 models.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300950999145

This will be my first experience with AKG products and I'm certainly looking forward to it. Can anyone identify which of the 240s these are?

Also, would it be in my interest to slap a squaretrade warranty on them?

Many thanks,
Joe

It's the Late Production version. My favorite.

Aug 19, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #966 of 1,737
Quote:
Sweet. And why is that? 

Less grainy, better defined treble and tighter bass than the MP.
More upbeat too.

Others prefer the MP  because of having more bass.

Aug 22, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #968 of 1,737
They just arrived and so far I like the sound! The detail is supreme and I love the bass texture. Waiting for my brain to adjust to the mids a little, but I have good expectations.

One issue: the self-adjusting headband? I'm not sure how its supposed to work but the damn things barely stay on my head! Is this a common issue, or maybe I need to replace a part? Any input would be helpful!

Thanks!

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #969 of 1,737
Quote:
They just arrived and so far I like the sound! The detail is supreme and I love the bass texture. Waiting for my brain to adjust to the mids a little, but I have good expectations.

One issue: the self-adjusting headband? I'm not sure how its supposed to work but the damn things barely stay on my head! Is this a common issue, or maybe I need to replace a part? Any input would be helpful!

Thanks!

If it is an old headband the elastic bands are worn out. I use a rubber band to pull the ear pieces together.  There are numerous mods in the early part of this thread to address this issue.

Aug 23, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #971 of 1,737
Quote:

And..... Problem solved. Thanks.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, I'm such a sad Panda right now :C
A qick fix would be to adjust those plastic knobs on the sides (where you hooked your rubber) to fit your head and then fasten the botton knob again with the screwdriver. If done right, the knobs are touching and the fixed one is preventing the other to extend the headband further.

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #972 of 1,737
Alright gentlemen, I've tried em but the fit just won't do. As such, I'm selling/trading my 240s. They're in great shape and they perform wonderfully. If you're interested, please PM.

Oct 7, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #973 of 1,737
Found this vintage thread for the vintage K240's that I'm listening to. A buddy lent me his pair of late production K240 Sextett's. I wasn't giving them enough listening time due to acquiring other new toys, but I have been listening to them more lately off of my laptop + HifimeDIY sabre dac + Fiio E12 amp, and I must say, they are very nice. Lovely balance, fairly neutral, yet dynamic and fun sounding with a nice amount of bass. Very nice!

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #974 of 1,737
Do those have new pads Wayne?  That will help immensely. Have to go new pads on these things. :)

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #975 of 1,737
  Do those have new pads Wayne?  That will help immensely. Have to go new pads on these things. :)

Well, you would know nick! (since they are yours lol!).

And apparently I do! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back