AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Jul 6, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #932 of 1,737
Quote:
The Sextett, as well as many other AKG dynamics from that era, suffers from massive ringing in the treble. It's part of the Sextett identity. Lower the treble and/or boost the bass with an EQ to warm up the sound.

With the help of the posts off the vintage headphone thread I now have my old and very original AKG K240 Sextet up and running.  I would put the sound and imaging between my Senns 595 and my Tesla T1.  The the audio from my HE400 is clearly better on bass and sub bass but the mids on the vintage K240 is better. 

An adequate DAC/Amp is a must.  The ALO MKll drives the HP adequately.  The Meier Classic Amp and DAC make these phones sing.

Ringing in the treble? seriously?

Jul 7, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #936 of 1,737
But the question is whether that ringing sounds bad to your ear or not.

Jul 7, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #937 of 1,737
Quote:
I can guarantee you they have ringing.

Can you explain what you mean by 'ringing' and it's connection with sibilance?
I'm not sure if I understand it correctly.

Jul 7, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #938 of 1,737
No idea how it connects with sibilance in actual music. Chances are you'll have a harsher sound if the driver rings in the treble - some people like that type of sound, even.

My K 250 have the typical Sextett ringing pattern - at 4, 12, and 15 kHz or so - and I prefer them for metal.

Jul 7, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #939 of 1,737
Quote:
No idea how it connects with sibilance in actual music. Chances are you'll have a harsher sound if the driver rings in the treble - some people like that type of sound, even.

My K 250 have the typical Sextett ringing pattern - at 4, 12, and 15 kHz or so - and I prefer them for metal.

I have no doubt that you have an early sextet.  The difference in what you hear and what I hear could come down to the multiple different type of sextet's produced.  The mid production LP differs in sound from early and later productions.  My understanding is that the K250 came out somewhat later than mine. The look of the passive radiators change in color and Wikiphonia proposed that the driver type could differ as well.

One thing I have found out is that those 600 Ohm HP's need a lot of juice.  They do not sound good without a proper amp.

Jul 7, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #940 of 1,737
I'd say it's more likely that you're one of the many who don't find the Sextett ringing offensive. The 4 kHz ringing, for instance, is absolutely massive nonetheless and has been observed on any vintage K 240 you'd care to name; even the K 340 has it (heck, even the K 400, though less than those older models). Where you might find variance is in the upper treble ringing - my K 250 for instance has three spots of ringing there while the K 241 has two, and the only EP Sextett I've seen measured for this had two as well.

Jul 8, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #941 of 1,737
and yet, despite the ringing, any Sextett itteration manages to be less harsh and overall more pleasing than any headhone based on the K/Q700 family.

Jul 8, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #943 of 1,737
The K 701 I heard was a pretty poor headphone considering the driver in it is supposed to be AKG's top of the line. Not sure they're even worth comparing to anything if you want to be serious.

Jul 8, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #944 of 1,737
I'd say it's more likely that you're one of the many who don't find the Sextett ringing offensive. The 4 kHz ringing, for instance, is absolutely massive nonetheless and has been observed on any vintage K 240 you'd care to name; even the K 340 has it (heck, even the K 400, though less than those older models). Where you might find variance is in the upper treble ringing - my K 250 for instance has three spots of ringing there while the K 241 has two, and the only EP Sextett I've seen measured for this had two as well.

Would be interesting to see the K400 graph.

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #945 of 1,737
Quote:
Would be interesting to see the K400 graph.

http://ow.ly/mLnUW
My pair has felt in front of the driver, but if you do so and EQ some bass, they aren't horrid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back