AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Nov 28, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #991 of 1,737
  Got a very cheap pair of of sextetts off german ebay lately for 23 euro sth plus shipping (cheap inside germany). Were advertised as K240 with intermittent cable failure but pic looked like LP sextett with solid headband.

Got them today, as expected the pads and elastics are shot and they had a bad recable job done - every single solder joint was cold and to top things off the left cover over the cable entry had the screw broken out and was superglued shut 8-O

Pried open the cover and they turned out to be MP (passive radiators white front and red back) despite the solid headband w/o holes. Grilles are glued on this one. Cleaned out the foam at the start to getting gunky, reassembled and redid the cabling. For now I swapped the cover over from the other side.

I will get new pads from www.thoman.de - they have them in stock. No idea where to get elastics in germany or even a new cable port cover... Ideas where to get those in germany or europe are very welcome.

Otherwise i'll have to glue the cable port cover too - although rather on the side opposite of the cable entry - you don't open this so often...

Listening to 'em right now with my O2 con ODAC and man, do they sound nice despite the flat pads :)

Congrads I bought my pads direct from AKG off amazon.  Full pads make a big difference. 

Dec 2, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #992 of 1,737
Just got some new parts from Frank over at Harman. Took about a week to get them. Bought new pads, new reticulated foam rings, and the elastics. The elastics on mine don't seem to be shot, but I bought them anyways for future upkeep. The whole thing ran me a little over $30 shipped. The foam was fairly easy to replace. Used a small jewelers screwdriver 1.4mm in size to get the badges off -- AKG calls them plates. Made sure to go slow as to not bend the metal. Then there's a slightly larger flathead screw and now we're slightly inside. Just one more larger flat head and we're in. Once I had the band separated from the phone everything is still dangling so you gotta be careful not to twist everything and sever a wire. From there you pull off the driver housing. This is the fun part. Now you have all this decrepit reticulated foam that for some reason is a little sticky. I used some angled tweezers and compressed air to get the gunk out. The next step was to take the new foam rings and stretch them over the driver from the front. The foam is sturdy so don't worry about it breaking. Then I stuffed it back in and closed everything up. Now I have to find suitable glue to put the plates (badges) back on. I'm thinking I don't want to crazy glue them on if I have to open things up again ie the elastics. I'm thinking the duco cement that I just put in storage would work perfect. D'0h!

It's weird but the pads make all the difference. Also the foam is helping to somewhat prevent the clamping force these phones had before replacing the foam. Now we're rockin!

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #993 of 1,737
Frank is not an option for me since I'm based in germany... but the new pads I got make a helluva difference in the comfort section mainly - sound wasn't too bad with the old ones either.

I managed to fix the cover by superglueing a washer onto the plastic from the inside - seems to work and is invisible. So the only thing left to do is the elastics - will have to look for suitable hairbands... I'm not going to replace the gunky foam since its value seems to be doubtful at best...

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #994 of 1,737
The inner foam just provides better support for the headphones and reduces clamping. I think it's worth it.

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #995 of 1,737
First off, this thread played a big part in launching me into the wonderful abyss that is vintage AKG headphones; so thank you to those who have contributed. Now for my own contribution. 

I love my Sextetts! I acquired an MP and an LP over the past year or so; the LP was in rough shape so I transplanted its driver and baffle elements into a MP K240 Studio shell that was in fantastic shape. Frankentett! I came to prefer the slightly more balanced signature of the LP so sadly it came time to let me MP go to a new home (I hardly listened to them but I miss them anyways).

Probably the most valuable thing I learned experimenting with the Sextett and various other K240s was how wonderful Shure SRH840 ear pads worked on them! Now, granted, the SRH840 has an oval ear cup as opposed to the round cup of the K240, but they stretch to fit without any trouble at all and oh boy are they an improvement. I have a brand new set of OEM pads on my K240 DF and SRH840 pads on my Frankentett, and the softer, fuller Shure pads are miles ahead in comfort and offer a nice little boost in low end; which might turn a pair of EP Sextetts into a flabby mess but for my LP pair they are just perfect. I highly recommend trying these pads out; they can be had on Amazon quite a bit cheaper than replacement K240 pads (Model HPAEC840).
beerchug.gif

Dec 23, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #1,000 of 1,737
Hey Guys,

I have and rare vintage AKG K 242 type of headphone.

Could you help me what kind of headphone is it real? I know its a AKG K 240 sextett but LP or MP?

If you're talking about a french k242 cardan, it's a MP.

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #1,001 of 1,737
Anyone know where I can find the badges (plates) for the K240? I inquired with our buddy Frank at Harman and he said they no longer make them. I can understand why. However, does anyone have an extra set they want to let go of? I'm trying to restore a pair (EP) that is missing the badges. Everything else is complete... new inner foam rings, new elastics, new pads.

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #1,003 of 1,737
If the passive drivers are white With an orange circle around it's a MP. The only vintage k242 I know is the french model of sextett.MP one. I had one a few month ago.

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #1,005 of 1,737
A mint condition Sextett can go for as much as ≈$150. I paid $140 for some MP Sextetts. Some would say it's too high of a price to pay, but they were in close to mint condition. The LP's I recently bought were $70 and were in rough shape. So there is a range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back