AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Sep 27, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #1,683 of 1,739
Amping is important
The headphones are powered by a Little Dot MK II in my setup, which is equipped with matched NOS Mullard M8161 / 6N6-T. This is an OTL tube amplifier, which delivers 300 mv at 600 ohms and therefore provides enough power. Especially high impedances benefit from a lot of output voltage as in the case of tubes. The AKG K240 also sounds good on powerful transistors, but a bit sharp and aggressive on higher volumes. But with my stereo amplifiers the sound remains far below its potential - with a Quad Vena I (headphone output is supplied via the speaker amplifier), Sharp Optonica SM3636, Onkyo TX2500, HK PM645, JVC RX808 - everything sounds mediocre to poor.
I've read that vintage receivers sound the best with these headphones and that most modern headphone amps (with opamps) don't do them justice -- are tube amps like the Little Dot MK II an exception?

I've also heard (specifically in monsterzero's youtube video) that higher wattage helps (40+) over lower ones when it comes to vintage receivers; I'm also curious to your or anyone else's thoughts on how relevant that is when it comes to the sound. Looking up the receivers you have they seem to be on the lower end of that compared to something like the Sansui 881, is this perhaps why it sounds mediocre to poor through the ones you have?

I'm fairly new to all this so just trying to learn. Trying to get to the bottom of "what the best amp is" for these headphones before I take the plunge.

Sep 27, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #1,685 of 1,739
Looking up the receivers you have they seem to be on the lower end of that compared to something like the Sansui 881, is this perhaps why it sounds mediocre to poor through the ones you have?
Edit: I am writing at the time (quoted post) about another K240 Sextett that I no longer own, there are major model differences. My actual NOS Sextett plays smooth and pleasant, my first was pretty aggressive.

I'm pretty demanding when it comes to amplifiers and the Optonica units are excellent for speakers. The problem is not so much the output stage as the supply for the headphone output - in the case of the Optonica, a 270 Ohm resistor is used as power reduction, which increases the output impedance and worsens the damping factor. The solution can be a clever designed switchbox with low ohms resistors directly at the amplifier output. This will of course have an effect on the sound.

For the tube amp: The Little Dot MK II lives with the tubes used - results are completely different. With that, I can't narrow anything down to maximum power or more voltage swing, since tubes all sound different now. That high impedances benefit from voltage swing is physical nature, whether this audible cannot be narrowed down, generally rather a "rule" that can be followed when choosing an amplifier in order not to risk being disappointed.

The Sextett also does not have the most insane resolution or separation as that more expensive amplifiers could be worthwhile. This is a great headphone that just needs a powerful amplifier for 600 ohms - anything above a normal DAC is sufficient for 80% of sound. If you complain about very light bass the weak power would be a first indication. For example, my SPL Phonitor One can only show its sonic advantages with other headphones, the Sextett only slightly benefits from it.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #1,686 of 1,739
I hear the Bottlehead Crack is also a very popular pairing. I haven't finished building mine yet to know, but soon

Sep 27, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #1,687 of 1,739
I use the following with my Sextett MP and HD6xx...

- BH Crack
- Onkyo C7030 CD player
- Onkyo A9010 Integrated Amp
**Both Onkyo headphone jacks have dedicated amps

The BH Crack is connected to an Onkyo C7030. Very happy with both combinations and plenty of power. The Sextett is more musical in the mid-range while the HD650 is less musical, very upfront mids and has better low-end and overall definition... sometimes too much definition on some recordings. The guitar on Pink Floyd DSOTM is a bit grating for my 50 yr-old ears.

What's unexpected is the headphone jack on the C7030 is really good with the Sextett too. It has a smoother sound overall, which is easier on my ears with the higher notes on the violin E string. The A9010 jack sounds very close to the C7030 but more powerful and I can adjust the Bass and Treble to my liking.

Sep 28, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #1,688 of 1,739
My Sextetts (MP & LP) sound great through my 1975 Trio KR-3600 and thats 22Wpc. Also sound great through my BH crack.
I find they most suit rock music without too much layering and overdubs. 70s rock sounds great through them.

Oct 28, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #1,689 of 1,739
In the process of restoring some Sextetts (EP as far as I understand). Thought I should drop here some pictures for your enjoyment.

Listening pre restoration they sound really nice. My first pair of Sextetts, closest I had so far were some K250. Was lucky to get those for about $40.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 0
Oct 28, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #1,690 of 1,739
In the process of restoring some Sextetts (EP as far as I understand).
Yes, it is an (nice) EP model - but I recommend you use foam under the gimbal, otherwise the headphones rattle in the bass (plastic on plastic). Also make sure that the metal piece in which the screw is connected is glued down. What do you think of the K250 in comparison?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #1,691 of 1,739
Can someome confirm that the two white cables coming from the drivers are connected to the ground connection of the plug, and that the red wires are connected to the Left and Right channel of the plug?

I measured them once on an LP and the white wires were going to the earth connection of the plug.

Now i am restoring an EP and here are the red wires of the drivers connected to the earth of the plug ( but as far as i can see someone resolderd the wires in the plug and could have made a mistake)

Nov 11, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #1,692 of 1,739
Can someome confirm that the two white cables coming from the drivers are connected to the ground connection of the plug, and that the red wires are connected to the Left and Right channel of the plug?
I can confirm that.

I have repaired and re-soldered many AKG models, it is always the case that the drivers are connected with the wrong polarity. Red is always on the negative pole of the drivers.

In your case it must be like this:
Right driver: red cable on the negative pole, red cable connected to TRS connected to ring (right channel).
Left driver: red cable on the negative pole, yellow cable connected to TRS to tip (left channel).
Blue and white are ground and connected to the sleeve.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #1,693 of 1,739
Strictly speaking, it doesn't matter that the negative poles of the drivers are connected to the negative poles of the connector. The only important part is that both drivers are wired with the same polarity. The drivers are identical, not mirrored, so when looking at each driver, there will be a left contact and a right contact. Whichever contacts you decide are + and - doesn't matter, just so long as you wire your chosen + and - the same on both drivers.

Nov 11, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #1,694 of 1,739
Ok, i opened up two other 2 sextetts to check the wiring , and on both the white wires coming from the drivers were connected to the ground of the plug. This matches with the wire diagram below.

i do not have blue or yellow wires on these headphones, wires coming from both drivers are red and white and the 4 wires in the headphone cable are black.

i found these wiring diagrams of the K 240’s.

Attachments

• 14789346-E02D-4EB0-AEDE-BAF47644D21B.png
    14789346-E02D-4EB0-AEDE-BAF47644D21B.png
    473.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 3C2F75EE-A9BE-4856-8E6D-250E490F6A8D.png
    3C2F75EE-A9BE-4856-8E6D-250E490F6A8D.png
    275.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #1,695 of 1,739
You're right - I measured two K240 cables before answering, and they were all from a K240 Monitor with the different colors. I had completely forgotten that it was different before. With a Sextett, you can only guess the wiring without a multimeter.

But I can also tell you that you hear something like that immediately. It sounds muffled and everything is nearly mono, happened to me once with a K340.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back