AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Apr 4, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #1,711 of 1,737
ah, thanks for the response! So that means you would say, overall, these mess with the original sound the least? Too bad to hear that the forward sound is slightly lost with them, but if it's actually not that different then it should be good if the comfort is a huge improvement.

Got a bit farther listening to the Sextetts today than yesterday before I started feeling pain (around 15 minutes versus 3). Love the sound at least

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #1,712 of 1,737
Hi, can someone tell me something about these AKG K240 Monitor headphones , i once read something about these differences but i cannot find it anymore.

I believe the first model K240 Monitor still has the same backplate as the K240 Sextett only with different passive drivers while the later model K240 monitor has the smaller holes without the passive filters?

Attachments

• 20230409_123621.jpg
    20230409_123621.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230410_201255.jpg
    20230410_201255.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Apr 10, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #1,713 of 1,737
Can't say much about the first one, with 6 holes, but the second of is the same as K240 DF and K250.

May 7, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #1,716 of 1,737
What DAC is everyone using for these?

The Sextett + Sansui amp combo I have is great, though I notice for some albums/songs it’s a little more bright/fatiguing/harsh than they should be normally, which makes me think it could be my source because the Sextett and Sansui synergies so well. I’m using a $150 centrance dacport LX from 2011 or so.

I’m thinking of something like an R2R DAC like the Ares II if it’s smoother in the top end, but “relaxed presentation” I heard it has gives me pause if I mainly listen to metal. Though contrarily, perhaps that gives it synergy with the forwardness of the Sansui/Sextett combo.

May 7, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #1,717 of 1,737
What DAC is everyone using for these?

The Sextett + Sansui amp combo I have is great, though I notice for some albums/songs it’s a little more bright/fatiguing/harsh than they should be normally, which makes me think it could be my source because the Sextett and Sansui synergies so well. I’m using a $150 centrance dacport LX from 2011 or so.

I’m thinking of something like an R2R DAC like the Ares II if it’s smoother in the top end, but “relaxed presentation” I heard it has gives me pause if I mainly listen to metal. Though contrarily, perhaps that gives it synergy with the forwardness of the Sansui/Sextett combo.
what Sansui are you using? Most vintage gear had at least treble/bass control, and the higher end models added a midrange adjustment as well. I'm currently using my Sansui 881 w/ a Merason DAC1 and still have my Lampizator Atlantic TRP. The Lampi is def warmer with a more relaxed treble than the Merason, but even with the Merason in the chain the Sextett/881 combo is never fatiguing or bright.

May 7, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #1,718 of 1,737
what Sansui are you using? Most vintage gear had at least treble/bass control, and the higher end models added a midrange adjustment as well. I'm currently using my Sansui 881 w/ a Merason DAC1 and still have my Lampizator Atlantic TRP. The Lampi is def warmer with a more relaxed treble than the Merason, but even with the Merason in the chain the Sextett/881 combo is never fatiguing or bright.
I’m using the Sansui 221. I crank the treble way down on that for quite a few albums and it definitely helps (had to do so with Michael Schenker Group s/t, Budgie Bandolier, Aerosmith Rock in a Hard Place, Blind Fury etc), though a side effect is it loses a speck too much detail/air through doing that. Other albums don’t need to be adjusted like Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, those sounds perfect and no complaints (so basically darker albums work the best so far).

Im thinking if I have a “warmer” and perhaps also more analog like source it will offset the need to crank the treble dial down. The lampizator looks great but definitely out of price range haha. This headphone/amp combo is the best I heard headphones sound especially for metal/rock so I definitely want to see if I can “fix” this one particular quirk I’m having with it.

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #1,719 of 1,737
I’m using the Sansui 221. I crank the treble way down on that for quite a few albums and it definitely helps (had to do so with Michael Schenker Group s/t, Budgie Bandolier, Aerosmith Rock in a Hard Place, Blind Fury etc), though a side effect is it loses a speck too much detail/air through doing that. Other albums don’t need to be adjusted like Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, those sounds perfect and no complaints (so basically darker albums work the best so far).

Im thinking if I have a “warmer” and perhaps also more analog like source it will offset the need to crank the treble dial down. The lampizator looks great but definitely out of price range haha. This headphone/amp combo is the best I heard headphones sound especially for metal/rock so I definitely want to see if I can “fix” this one particular quirk I’m having with it.
I have no experience with the Centrance DAC, so I can't say if a DAC change is the answer or not, but if you're having to drop the treble on all of those albums then something seems to be amiss. I have all of those albums and listen frequently to all of that stuff and my treble adjustment on the 881 is typically kept dead center, or even boosted a notch or two when using the Lampi as a DAC.

You may want to look into a AGD R2R11, which is a quite warm sounding DAC/amp combo and has a pretty powerful amp section of it's own. The only affordable DAC I've owned that was warmer than it is an old EAD DSP-7000 MkIIl, which was stupid expensive back in the day, but can be found rather cheaply due to it's limit of doing only 16/44.1 files. Anything above that will not play, unfortunately. Ridiculous bass and super warm. It's one of Zach Mehrbach's (owner of ZMF) favorite DACs.

May 8, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #1,720 of 1,737
I used to have the Dacport (not LX) years ago and I recall it being a very warm sound and the very opposite of bright, so I doubt it's the dac itself.

And seriously, if you're already cranking the treble down on the amp and it still feels off to you, then switching dacs will not fix the problem. It's probably a resonance of the headphone that you're sensitive to, and unfortunately even EQ won't necessarily fix that. Some experiments with damping might. On the downside, it could take a fair bit of fiddling to figure it out. On the plus side, it won't cost much with just some simple materials lying around.

May 12, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #1,722 of 1,737
Welp, I'm back in here now lol The LP K240's i have dragged me back to being into headfi. I sold most of my stuff 3 years ago but kept my Glenn OTL, AD2000x's and of course the K240. I did some searching around here and the googles and couldn't find a replacement headband that wasn't the original pleather one. Does anyone have a lead on a leather one? I saw another member here was making some from leather belt scrap but that was awhile ago.

May 13, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #1,723 of 1,737
This K240DF, I had a Monitor, except for the yellow color, I did not notice the differences, although they definitely can be
I will attach a parts list for the different types of 240's. It looks like you need partnr. 22 2058Z2501
In the text they say the paper ring is already pre-attached to the disk.
If you can still order this part is the big question...

On the other hand : when you use the foam disk ( part nr. 23 ) which also belongs in the cup you won't see the damaged paper, but i asssume the paper has some kind of filter function so it would be good to restore the damaged paper.

An other possibility is to replace the damaged paper ring with something like a ring made from coffee filter paper. But i do not know how this will affect the sound :gs1000smile:

Attachments

• K240_monitor_studio_df_service.pdf
    445.8 KB · Views: 0
May 15, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #1,724 of 1,737
Unfortunately, I couldn't find it for sale anywhere partnr. 22 2058Z2501. I had a remnant of this part on my earpiece, it looks like it was made of synthetic fabric, which was covered on the inside with very, very thin foam rubber, which rotted and turned into sticky dust

I solved the problem myself - I used a polyester non-woven felt 0.5 mm thick with a density of 100 g / (m * m). The sound does not differ now from my undamaged k240df

There are no complicated things under the torn paper, everything seems to be filled with just a coarse sponge for washing clothes or something similar (like the black part). I prepared thin, thin rice paper to stick over the torn pieces. But the sound became normal and while I put the paper aside

Attachments

• sf.jpg
    sf.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 0
May 22, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #1,725 of 1,737
Does anyone have experience with this detachable cable mod?

https://www.printables.com/model/135658-akg-k240-monitor-detachable-cable-mod
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphonem...g_k240_monitor_detachable_cable_mod_with_stl/

My OG cable has finally given up the ghost, and since I need to replace it anyway I thought I'd try a simple mod like this. I'd like to put in a mini XLR jack.

It looks straightforward enough, but I'm trying to figure out a couple things:

What brand/make of XLR jack is this for? The OP has a specific part recommendation for the 3.5mm version, but I don't see one for the XLR version. I'm guessing something like this would work, but not sure of the exact dimensions:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/907905-REG/neutrik_rt3mp_3_pole_tiny_xlr.html

-Also, how does the jack attach to the plastic piece? Does it screw in somehow, or does it need to be glued?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back