AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Nov 18, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #1,696 of 1,737
Has anyone ever had the strange phenomenon that the headphones always play out of phase, no matter how they are connected?

I have a K241 here, all cables are connected correctly, but still out of phase. If I turn the cables (minus to plus and vice versa) it is still out of phase. I don't understand it anymore, there are +180 and -180 but never 0 degrees, so there is no stereo center.

If I change the polarity digitally, I can listen to music perfectly.

Nov 27, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #1,697 of 1,737
Im powering them with a late 70s Sansui 881 receiver and it really is a unique listening experience.

I've been powering my Sextetts with vintage receivers for some time now, but I've just now tried them with a Sansui 221, which is the same line as the 881, just at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Wow. Next level. The 221s are perfect headphone amps because they're only 8 WPC so if you're not hooking up speakers, no need to cough up the big bucks for the higher end receivers in this line.

There really is some magic in the Sansui XX1 + Sextetts that Monsterzero has tapped into here. Highly recommended.

Dec 17, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #1,698 of 1,737
I have locally picked up an unused K240 Sextett EP, from an estate, at least 3mm thick brown dust all over it. It comes with the original box and all documentation. This one was bought on 14. January 1978 in Bremen for 178 DM. Also included is the original adapter.

Sextett-EP.png

Sextett-EP2.png

Sextett-EP3.png

Since this is an EP model (grille, red passive radiators), I compared it with my NOS MP model from 1979. The passive radiators were tuned differently, which can be seen from the small dots on them and the arrangement. The EP model has a much more pronounced low and upper bass and otherwise plays more dynamic, brighter and more detailed. However, it depends more on which exact model you get, because the series variations are large. I have heard really good MP models and very bad MP models.

Comparison K240.png

Dec 23, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #1,699 of 1,737
Thats why the EP is my favourite version: the more pronounced low and upper bass, plus the cool looking grille of course 😁
It’s good to have the OVP and guarantee card, it makes it more complete.
plus you can always claim guaranty if something is wrong 😉

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #1,700 of 1,737
What do you think of the K250 in comparison?

K250 is mostly a 240 DF. Construction is similar and had the same sound signature, at least for me.

Mar 16, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #1,701 of 1,737
There really is some magic in the Sansui XX1 + Sextetts that Monsterzero has tapped into here. Highly recommended.
I recently moved my McIntosh 4100 out of my chain and put my Sansui 881 back in, and tonight i'm taking a break from reviewing the new ZMF Atrium closed and just rocking out with my Sextett MP and the 881.
I have a great OTL amp with countless thousands of dollars in tubes. I also have a very nice, and expensive solid state headphone amp, the Violectric v550, but nothing, not the OTL, not the Violectric, not the McIntosh, none of them rocks the Sextetts like the old Sansui 881!

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #1,702 of 1,737
Has anyone ever had the strange phenomenon that the headphones always play out of phase, no matter how they are connected?

I have a K241 here, all cables are connected correctly, but still out of phase. If I turn the cables (minus to plus and vice versa) it is still out of phase. I don't understand it anymore, there are +180 and -180 but never 0 degrees, so there is no stereo center.

If I change the polarity digitally, I can listen to music perfectly.
You, have reversed wrong pair of wires.

Mar 16, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #1,703 of 1,737
I understand your point very well, as soon as we compare, few modern amplifiers give the ratio S.Q./price of some Sansui....

Same here.... It is the reason i bought two Sansui and forgot amplification.... :wink:

There is better amplifie5r for sure, for me i would bet on a Berning ZOTL amplifier.... But i can live with my own Sansui anyway.... :)

My very best to you ....

I recently moved my McIntosh 4100 out of my chain and put my Sansui 881 back in, and tonight i'm taking a break from reviewing the new ZMF Atrium closed and just rocking out with my Sextett MP and the 881.
I have a great OTL amp with countless thousands of dollars in tubes. I also have a very nice, and expensive solid state headphone amp, the Violectric v550, but nothing, not the OTL, not the Violectric, not the McIntosh, none of them rocks the Sextetts like the old Sansui 881!

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #1,704 of 1,737
I've read that vintage receivers sound the best with these headphones and that most modern headphone amps (with opamps) don't do them justice -- are tube amps like the Little Dot MK II an exception?

Just picked up a flawless pair on eBay. I was getting good results with my Sennheiser HDV800 since it’s targeting high impedance phones. But it really shines with my 80s Luxman-R115. I’m impressed, I’ve never heard a pair of AKG’s I really liked but this one peaked my curiosity with the six drivers and has a very rich sound. Definitely could use a pad swap though comfort-wise.

Mar 22, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #1,705 of 1,737
Just picked up a flawless pair on eBay. I was getting good results with my Sennheiser HDV800 since it’s targeting high impedance phones. But it really shines with my 80s Luxman-R115. I’m impressed, I’ve never heard a pair of AKG’s I really liked but this one peaked my curiosity with the six drivers and has a very rich sound. Definitely could use a pad swap though comfort-wise.
My Luxman R-113 drives all my High impedance HPs including the Sextett.
It sounds really good. The K340 sounds even better to my ears.

Mar 22, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #1,706 of 1,737
Nice to hear about the positive results with vintage receivers! Just received a Sansui 221 off eBay and now waiting for a pair of MP Sextetts to arrive... definitely looking forward to trying it out as a big metal and rock listener.
However, it depends more on which exact model you get, because the series variations are large. I have heard really good MP models and very bad MP models.
So that means there would be different MP (middle production) headphones that sound very different from each other? Was under the impression the major differences in sound would be only between what production run version it is (EP, MP or LP)

Mar 23, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #1,708 of 1,737
s-l1600.jpg

Looks like the bracket is broken on the listing I bought; would this be a problem for adjusting the headband or the cup not being angled right, too loose etc?
Shouldn't be that much of a problem. It will not be that stable.

When you receive it, just get the plastic part from the other side and find a 3d printing shop in your area. It should be relatively simple for them to recreate the piece for you and print it. Or even better, find a friend with a 3D printer and some 3D modelling knowledge and ask them. I'd help, but am in Europe and shipping to the US would be a pita.

Apr 3, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #1,709 of 1,737
Just got the Sextetts and wow, love how deep the sound is. Makes my Grados seem shrill and thin in comparison (though I only really noticed when it's side by side; I think getting used to the Sextett's sound signature made the Grados shrill when I usually like the Grados). First impressions with the Sextetts are the guitars are yes much more foreward, with the whole band having more body and weight to them. The one potential downside I hear so far is that the overall sound gets a bit undefined and blurry when there's a lot of layers of sound going on at one time. Also, the fact that to bring out the best sound I need to turn up the Sansui 221 amp to a level a bit higher than I would normally like to keep it at.

There's a bit of a problem with me enjoying these though beyond that, is that those stock pads are very painful to me for to wear more than a few minutes and I need to take the headphones off at that point, so I definitely need to replace the pads. From reading this thread it seems the best options are either "Dekoni Fostex TH900 Lambskin ear pads" or the "Brainwavz Hybrid Angled Oval headphone memory foam earpads"; should I just get both perhaps? Thanks for any input!

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #1,710 of 1,737
From reading this thread it seems the best options are either "Dekoni Fostex TH900 Lambskin ear pads" or the "Brainwavz Hybrid Angled Oval headphone memory foam earpads"; should I just get both perhaps? Thanks for any input!
I have tested both myself, the original TH900 pads and the Lambskin TH900 from Dekoni Audio are very close to the original. However, it can be said that with the slightly greater distance and angle exactly what you emphasize, "forward sounding" as known from a Grado, is slightly lost. The K240 Sextett sound best when they stick directly to the ear.

Foam discs are not recommended, they also make the Sextett tamer. Probably it will come down to the original pads with extra foam behind it.

But otherwise nice description, fits very well to my hearing! You've found a good model.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back