AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Jun 30, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #1,651 of 1,737
I know that there were multiple versions of the K240DF, but does this look right to you guys?
I can help you with that. There are several K240DF - EP model from 1996, an LP model from around 1998 and various revisions in between.

- The first model had six large openings, three with white paper, three with black paper. Black K240 Sextett plastic covers behind the paper. Black paper on a modified K240 Monitor driver (just two rear holes closed with glue, but 100 DM more!).

- The "later" version had only black paper but six smaller openings. Again, the black paper was on the driver.

- The last version in the early 2000s had slightly smaller holes than before and thinner black paper. But completely open driver without paper over it.

The new K240 Studio from 2004 had white paper as in your case. So you got one of the latest DFs that last existed in 2004, which was even built with parts from the newer K240 Studio. Such "Frankenstein headphones" really exist, also from the AKG factory. Since the DF has improved with each revision, so I think you have the best and newest DF.

Can you show the original packaging completely? I have never seen an original DF box.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #1,652 of 1,737
Monsterzero is right: trying to find a 70s vintage receiver from a local listing or thrift store is a good move for the Sextett, especially if in good condition and found for cheap...and if you don't mind possibly cleaning up the unit a bit. Finding one for <$100 (it's possible if you're patient) is an unreal value to be able to drive the Sextetts with authority. The headphone outs on those units are generally very serious, often coming from the speaker taps but with resistors to make it safe for your headphones--while many receivers today just add in a cheap headphone amp that's separate from the speaker amp, rendering the beefy power and more sophisticated circuit sections for the speakers pointless for the headphones.

I have a Yamaha CR-1020 and it's a powerhouse driving the Sextetts. It's a case where the sound doesn't just get louder as I turn it up, it gets bigger and wider while maintaining frequency balance and a bit of warmth. I do also have an OTL tube amp (a fully-modded Bottlehead Crack), and unlike Monsterzero, I do prefer the OTL amp driving the Sextetts. It's just a matter of taste though and both the Crack and vintage solid-state receiver drive the Sextetts with power to spare. Especially considering the price, finding a vintage recevier, potentially for <$100--vs $464 for the Crack and Speedball (plus all the labor...)--is a bargain. Happy hunting if you decide to go that route! :)

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #1,653 of 1,737
Here are some photos of the mods I did. I still have new pads coming because these are horrible. I designed and printed plugs to accept the MMCX connectors that fit in the location of the stock cable exit holes. I need a new headband as well, but I haven't decided yet if I will order one or cut one out of leather on my laser
That's a neat mod!

Jul 7, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #1,655 of 1,737
I designed and printed plugs to accept the MMCX connectors that fit in the location of the stock cable exit holes.
Any chance you can share the model? It'll be nice to try the same mod on my k250 cans.

Thanks!

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #1,658 of 1,737
Just got back my AKG K240 Sextett from a local guy who redid my cables and used a 4 pin balanced termination point. They sound great and balanced in both side now! All I need now is a new pair of earpads and I'm good for a while with these pair! I didn't realize how much I missed my AKG until I heard them today after not having it for about 3 weeks! Got back a couple other cans as well as my UE triplefi 10, but it's for another thread :beyersmile:
:L3000:

Aug 3, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #1,659 of 1,737
Just got back my AKG K240 Sextett from a local guy who redid my cables and used a 4 pin balanced termination point. They sound great and balanced in both side now! All I need now is a new pair of earpads and I'm good for a while with these pair! I didn't realize how much I missed my AKG until I heard them today after not having it for about 3 weeks! Got back a couple other cans as well as my UE triplefi 10, but it's for another thread :beyersmile:
:L3000:
I put BRAINWAVS on mine and love the fit and sound

Aug 3, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #1,660 of 1,737
Aug 14, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #1,661 of 1,737
Aug 14, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #1,663 of 1,737
I use these. Incredibly comfy and not too expensive. Never had a problem with them and I've got them on 3 different pairs. Roll em up, and put em on.

Brainwavz XL https://a.co/d/a7gXlL0
I’ve used the Brainwavz oval hybrid angled pads and love the presence and balance of the sound. But the oval pads had to be pre-stretched before installing. I thought the XL pads would be too big—could you please post a photo of what they look like on the K240? Thanks in advance.

Aug 14, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #1,664 of 1,737
I'm not home right now, but I have this one on my phone. Bottom row, second pair from the right. I can grab some more later.
I’ve used the Brainwavz oval hybrid angled pads and love the presence and balance of the sound. But the oval pads had to be pre-stretched before installing. I thought the XL pads would be too big—could you please post a photo of what they look like on the K240? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20220718_111821.jpg
    20220718_111821.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Aug 14, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #1,665 of 1,737
The XL pads are indeed too big. You need the regular non-XL round Brainwavz. I use the hybrids and they sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back