AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Aug 14, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #1,667 of 1,739
Ah, okay, I see. Yeah, the round and oval Brainwavz pads need to be pre-stretched a bit, but fit well. And I’ve found that the discontinued Brainwavz Kraken hybrid pads (with the green inner cup mesh) fits perfectly and are easier to install—their size is in between the round and XL.

EDIT: But I preferred what the angled earpads do for the presence and excitement of the sound. The Kraken pads found a home on my K180, works fantastic there.

Overall, I’ve found Brainwavz hybrid pads change the sound the least, compared to full pleather and full velour. I’ve yet to try the perforated velour.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #1,669 of 1,739
I also had the Brainwavz ear pads, had these on a K240 and a K340, but in terms of sound much was destroyed because the distance to the driver is changed. With this you also have to raise gain and well, only the Parabol AKGs (280, 270, 290) can be heard really pleasant on high volumes. In addition, the quality of the Brainwavz ear pads was horrible. When the ear is closer to the driver, the sound is better.

What really works are Dekoni Fostex TH900 Lambskin ear pads, which have 21 mm as the thickest part, 18 mm as the thinnest and are angled. They do not change the sound at all, regardless of the model. No nasty peaks in the treble, bass reproduction still very natural, mids are preserved. The ZMF Eikon Hybrid Lambskin also go, raise the bass below 100 Hz, but reduce the spatiality.

By the way, I once measured my new Grado PS1000e and my K240 Sextett (MP) and this is what came out. While the AKG sounds slightly emptier and analytical in the mids and less powerful (related to pressure) in the bass, the AKG is superior to the Grado. Soundstage is almost identical, the Grado's treble is like a chainsaw and unbearable to listen with a transistor at higher volumes. The Grado simply overlays and obscures the details, but they are simply louder and "forwarding". The AKG is by far the more balanced headphone and that's why the PS1000e is sold again. Am a friend of trying out new headphones at home on my own equipment in my usual listening environment.

Interestingly, the frequency responses are similar.
AKG Sextett vs Grado.png

Here is another photo of my K240s.
1660493606703.png

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #1,670 of 1,739
I also had the Brainwavz ear pads, had these on a K240 and a K340, but in terms of sound much was destroyed because the distance to the driver is changed. With this you also have to raise gain and well, only the Parabol AKGs (280, 270, 290) can be heard really pleasant on high volumes. In addition, the quality of the Brainwavz ear pads was horrible. When the ear is closer to the driver, the sound is better.

What really works are Dekoni Fostex TH900 Lambskin ear pads, which have 21 mm as the thickest part, 18 mm as the thinnest and are angled. They do not change the sound at all, regardless of the model. No nasty peaks in the treble, bass reproduction still very natural, mids are preserved. The ZMF Eikon Hybrid Lambskin also go, raise the bass below 100 Hz, but reduce the spatiality.

By the way, I once measured my new Grado PS1000e and my K240 Sextett (MP) and this is what came out. While the AKG sounds slightly emptier and analytical in the mids and less powerful (related to pressure) in the bass, the AKG is superior to the Grado. Soundstage is almost identical, the Grado's treble is like a chainsaw and unbearable to listen with a transistor at higher volumes. The Grado simply overlays and obscures the details, but they are simply louder and "forwarding". The AKG is by far the more balanced headphone and that's why the PS1000e is sold again. Am a friend of trying out new headphones at home on my own equipment in my usual listening environment.

Interestingly, the frequency responses are similar.
AKG Sextett vs Grado.png

Here is another photo of my K240s.
1660493606703.png

Ooh, I have some Eikon hybrids laying around, I should try those. I've also been real curious to pick up a pair of Dekoni fenestrated TH900 pads and take those for a spin.

Aug 14, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #1,671 of 1,739
Thank you all. Plenty of food for thought to choose right, given my own specificities : slim head, MS sized ears. ^^

I'll show the HPs to a friend who's a ZMF dealer in Paris, and keep the Dekoni Elite Velours TH series in mind, which have my favor as of now.

I'll try and avoid leather, I'm of the opinion that the animals need their skin more than I do. If Dekonis tightened velours works fine enough, I'll settle for it.

Unless Eikon pads are spot on.

Will add my own testimony!

Aug 14, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #1,673 of 1,739
In addition, the quality of the Brainwavz ear pads was horrible.
Definitely not my experience in my audio chain:

AudioQuest DragonFly v1.0 -> fully-modded Bottlehead Crack + Speedball w/ RCA 6AS7G & 6SN7GT

…but I’m glad you found what works for you in your system. In mine, the Brainwavz oval angled hybrids don’t change the tone much from the stock pads, besides making the treble a little more exciting and creating a greater sense of space. No glaring spikes in the treble for me though.

Aug 14, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #1,674 of 1,739
For me, the Brainwavz Hybrids did make the treble a little sizzly, but still nothing I would even call fatiguing. And considering the stock pads were just unwearable for me, that's two big thumbs up from me. I'm gonna try the ZMF Eikon hybrids tonight as recommended earlier, because why not, I've got them.

Aug 14, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #1,675 of 1,739
Since some are now trying out the ear pads, I'll tell you a bit more about. I also wrote an review of Dekoni Choice Leather and Elite Hybrid ear pads (early 2022) in this thread.

The ZMF Eikon Hybrid Lambskin I had mainly on the K340, but I can not remember the sound to 100% - I only remembered what I wrote above.

The replacement AKG K240 ear pads that you can buy today (thanks to Harman/Samsung for that!) do not reach the quality of the old ear pads. They are well stuffed, much harder and made of cheap plastic - but they sound almost like the second and third generation pads (yes, even there were revisions). The first generation is only available on the K240 Sextett LP and MP, though hardly anyone has original ear pads on them anymore because they've fallen apart over the decades. My K240 Sextett MP and my K180 were 40 years in the original box.

Today's AKG K240 Velour pads are hard like a stone and significantly reduce the area for the ear, so that becomes more of an on-ear headphone. Uncomfortable after 5 minutes, but in terms of sound top - reduce the treble slightly and make it softer, the rest is well preserved.

First generation - right, on the K240 Sextett, very soft and feels more like leather
Second generation - second from left, harder and thinner, mainly used on LP and all Monitor models
Third generation - second from right, small difference at the "ring", from an 1998 K240DF
Fourth generation - left, difference at the "ring", newest

1660517394339.png

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #1,677 of 1,739
A couple hours with the Eikon hybrids. Definitely love what they do for the highs. Crisp, clean, airy, detailed. The bass becomes a bit boomy and bleeds into the mids, unfortunately. I think something leather, angled, and perforated would do just the trick, at least for the MP Sextett. Maybe on the LP where the bass is a little leaner, the Eikon hybrids are the ticket. But on the MP, the bass gets just a tad too bloated for me with the Eikon hybrids.

Aug 14, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #1,678 of 1,739
Brainwavz Hybrids did make the treble a little sizzly, but still nothing I would even call fatiguing
Yeah, sizzly is a good way to describe it compared to the more laid-back sound of the stock pads. Especially with my tube amp, it’s not fatiguing for me at all either. Just sounds much more exhilarating, closer to a live type sound.

Another thing I notice is midrange presence and the center image is very defined.

Aug 20, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #1,679 of 1,739
Quick note on model identification: It is immediately an MP if you have the newer grille (not the EP grille) and AKG is in a black box on the emblem. The LP has the AKG logo without the black box and slightly larger. The MP is the best in my opinion.
I never noticed this before but looking at my MP and LP you are correct.

Aug 21, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #1,680 of 1,739
The XL pads are indeed too big. You need the regular non-XL round Brainwavz. I use the hybrids and they sound great.
I second this, I used the XL pads that fit perfectly on my K340 and it was shifting around a little. I recently got around to order sheepskin normal side ones, along with velours for my DT770 and sheepskin for my Sen HD650, boy were the hard to get it on! But once it's on, it's on! The DT 770 was easier because I had them mode to dual 3.5mm jack, so I just unscrewed them and went around bit by bit to put on the pads. The K240 proved more difficult because of the headband

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back