AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Jun 11, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #1,276 of 1,737
I already figured it out.. The connector is called a DIN 5 pins würfel. I think i am going to get a new cable with a 3,5 mm plug and solder that on the connection board as an adapter is difficult to get and looks not very elegant. Problem is how to get the new round cable in the square cable guide thingy as the old cable is molten? in.

Can you post a whole picture of your phones. The picture provided show parts that look nothing like either of my MP or LP Sextetts and the wiring does not look familiar to me. I desoldered both of mine to add paracord around the original cabling. I didn't change the cable, just slipped the paracord over the original and resoldered. I may be wrong because it was a while ago.

As for the connector, I would've thought there would be the same wiring as mine but just ending in a different connector/jack but again I could be wrong.

Jun 11, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #1,277 of 1,737
I recently got a bottlehead crack kit. I was expecting to be using it mostly with my modded Sennheiser 580s with the Sextetts getting occasional usage but since this headphone amp was completed it has been a revelation in terms of the Sextetts. They are sensational phones and I've hardly used the 580s for any kind of music at all.

I should add that I am most definitely now a convert from the LP (which I used to prefer) to the MP version. Since I ponied up the money for genuine pads instead of cheapies they have excelled and now with the BH Crack they are ridiculously underated.

The MPs will probably be visiting Easybay in the near future. Complete with a couple of leather headband options.

Jun 12, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #1,278 of 1,737
Can you post a whole picture of your phones. The picture provided show parts that look nothing like either of my MP or LP Sextetts and the wiring does not look familiar to me. I desoldered both of mine to add paracord around the original cabling. I didn't change the cable, just slipped the paracord over the original and resoldered. I may be wrong because it was a while ago.

As for the connector, I would've thought there would be the same wiring as mine but just ending in a different connector/jack but again I could be wrong.

Like i wrote in my earlier post, this are pictures from a Philips N 6330, a Sextett Clone with MP drivers.
I recently mixed the parts of this headphone with the parts of a AKG K 141, with this nice looking and sounding result:

Attachments

• 20200601_114630.jpg
    20200601_114630.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200731_153442.jpg
    20200731_153442.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200807_190552.jpg
    20200807_190552.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Jun 12, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #1,279 of 1,737
i got a fully modded K240 mp from a member of this forum but couldnt test it yet...
But i guess on my soon fixed tube amp it will be hell of fun :wink:

Cant wait also to compare them with my K340.
and i forgot about my K400 that needs some repairs.

After reading about all them i had to get them all :wink:

Jun 12, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #1,280 of 1,737
Please post here your impressions of the K240 Sextett vs the K340! I have the K240M, K240 Sextett, and K501 and love them--but, like you and Ash, I gotta catch 'em all :)

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #1,281 of 1,737
Please post here your impressions of the K240 Sextett vs the K340! I have the K240M, K240 Sextett, and K501 and love them--but, like you and Ash, I gotta catch 'em all :)
You didnt ask me directly but,I have all three of the Sextetts,a K240 DF and a K340. IMHO the K340 doesnt belong in the same sentence as the other four.
The MP,followed by the EP,LP,DF and then finally bringing up the rear,and by a wide margin is the 340.
The 340 is abysmally uncomfortable,nearly impossible to get a good seal on,the highs are a step ahead of what little lows are actually there. It is,again IMHO,a bad sounding headphone.

I do know that some love their 340s however. I keep mine around to test new tube purchases so in case of arc over if the driver fails I wont feel any loss,except for the tube itself.

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #1,282 of 1,737
You didnt ask me directly but,I have all three of the Sextetts,a K240 DF and a K340. IMHO the K340 doesnt belong in the same sentence as the other four.
The MP,followed by the EP,LP,DF and then finally bringing up the rear,and by a wide margin is the 340.
The 340 is abysmally uncomfortable,nearly impossible to get a good seal on,the highs are a step ahead of what little lows are actually there. It is,again IMHO,a bad sounding headphone.

I do know that some love their 340s however. I keep mine around to test new tube purchases so in case of arc over if the driver fails I wont feel any loss,except for the tube itself.
Thanks so much for taking the initiative to help inform me :) For a while, I was interested in the made-by-AKG K340 alternative, the Philips N6330, but I think now I'll sit back unless some stellar deal comes along. Thanks so much, Monsterzero.

Jun 12, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #1,283 of 1,737
Well i got four K340 and tested 6 different pads on them.
I found one aliexpresso sheepskin one thats not to thick, very comfortable and gives the tightest bass (Those in sheepskin are amazing). Also works with the plastic grill that normally is raping your ears and makes you feel very comfortable together with this insult called stock superplastic pads.
I find the K340 very comfortable now and its sealed and simply a jackpot and works great with worn out elastic rings.
( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33040658281.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.6ed63c00fygvfZ&mp=1 )

But on the Sextett i have some very good very original new pads, xlr and a nice cable.
Gotta fix my amp to get them comparing.

but i really cant wait to try the sextett :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #1,284 of 1,737

Its funny, I prefered the K240 studio and K340 over the Sextett that I had, but I agree that the K340 is incredibly uncomfortable. I always found that it needed a few hours of continuous play for it to sound good; I recall a member saying that the Electret driver needed to recharge (which to me made sense but I'm not an engineer).
Every once and awhile I regret selling the K340

Jun 13, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #1,285 of 1,737
Thanks so much for taking the initiative to help inform me :) For a while, I was interested in the made-by-AKG K340 alternative, the Philips N6330, but I think now I'll sit back unless some stellar deal comes along. Thanks so much, Monsterzero.

As you don’t seem to read other peoples posts : the philips N 6330 is a K 240 sextett alternative, not a K 340 alternative.

Jun 13, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #1,286 of 1,737
Sorry thee mutz, as my profile says, I don't have that many posts for being a decade-long member. So, I don't spend much time on here and definitely don't read every post. Thanks for clarifying what the N 6330 is though. Cheers

Jun 13, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #1,287 of 1,737
Sorry thee mutz, as my profile says, I don't have that many posts for being a decade-long member. So, I don't spend much time on here and definitely don't read every post. Thanks for clarifying what the N 6330 is though. Cheers

Sorry if i was maybe a little blunt in my reaction,:thinking: it was just that i wrote something about the philips N 6330 just yesterday in this topic.

Jun 13, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #1,288 of 1,737
Out of curiosity i bought a K 280 and a K 400 recently but they don't sound as good as the sextetts in my opinion.
I had high expectations for the K 400 after reading about it, but it does not have much bass and sounds very "light" overall. It is a beautiful headphone though, and in a very good condition so i think i'm gonna keep it anyway. :upside_down:
The K 280 on the other hand has more punch and weight in the bass, but the mids and treble are not as clear as the sextetts.

Jun 28, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #1,289 of 1,737
Hello everybody.

After following this thread for quite a while I decided to get a pair of those Sextettes.
I managed to snap a relatively pretty good deal from german ebay (cost me 65 euro in total).
The thing is that I have absolutely no idea what version they are and the headband seems a bit... shot to be honest. Other than that they look in fair / average condition but for this amount of money and considering their age I thought I'd try my luck. Not so much to lose.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/AKG-K-240-M...HKwJJ3yJKYSUXmlHq2gzhSQrybTkB-hZLDHsSclJn7BK8

I'd like your help with regards to the elastics and headband (if eventually need to be replaced). The photos earlier on the thread do no longer exist and I can't make out where those are meant to be attached.

Many thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back