AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Jul 1, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #1,306 of 1,737
Great to hear. I might ask you to sell me a headband (or two) if I eventually figure how to dismantle the whole thing without damaging it!
The unit I bought seems to have a rather deformed headband and I'd also prefer to change it anyway(along with pads) both for hygiene and aesthetic reasons.

We basically listen to the same things and the Sextetts were bought with this music in mind - classic rock / hard rock and heavy metal / progressive rock 70's-80's up to early 90's before the dreadful remasters and the loudness war bursted. I'm very glad to hear you like them on this kind of stuff.

I'll post them up in the for sale section then. I'll dig them up and line them up so people can pick numbers and choose the exact ones :) Give me a day or 2 and I'll pre-warn you so you don't get gazumped.

Jul 1, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #1,307 of 1,737
I'll post them up in the for sale section then. I'll dig them up and line them up so people can pick numbers and choose the exact ones :) Give me a day or 2 and I'll pre-warn you so you don't get gazumped.
Yes, please do so.
Just give me a few days as I have to receive the headphones first and then dive into taking them apart.

Jul 1, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #1,308 of 1,737
Pretty sure I bought the K240 pads from Thomann. I don't like the look of them but they most definitely work soundwise :) I don't have problems like some others have with inner grilles on my ears though. I think they do touch my ears. Just that it doesn't bother me at all.

Jul 1, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #1,309 of 1,737
Pretty sure I bought the K240 pads from Thomann. I don't like the look of them but they most definitely work soundwise :) I don't have problems like some others have with inner grilles on my ears though. I think they do touch my ears. Just that it doesn't bother me at all.
I'm eyeballing these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacemen...ords=k240+leather+pads&qid=1593650307&sr=8-20

They are supposedly the exact same dimensions and thickness - identical to the stock ones but are made from leather.

Jul 2, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #1,311 of 1,737
The price is not to bad, the cheapest i could find them were at Thomann : €12,50 incl. shipment.
But maybe you should have waited to order parts ( for shipping costs sake ) until you actually see the headphones: the foam rings inside the cups are likely to be disintegrated and maybe other parts are bad or missing.

Jul 2, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #1,312 of 1,737
The price is not to bad, the cheapest i could find them were at Thomann : €12,50 incl. shipment.
But maybe you should have waited to order parts ( for shipping costs sake ) until you actually see the headphones: the foam rings inside the cups are likely to be disintegrated and maybe other parts are bad or missing.
I thought about this but I've read that the grill needs to be broken (?) in order to replace the foam? That's putting me off really... I have also already ordered these pads which come with a set of foam discs. So in case I decide to change those I'm covered too.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07G5WVPR3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They were so helpful that when they sent me a proforma invoice I thought I'd make the order anyway.

Jul 3, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #1,313 of 1,737
The pads look OK :beyersmile:

The grill needs to be broken? I like to see the headphones of the person who wrote this....:sweat_smile:

The foam disks that will come with your pads are not used in the sextett, they are for other versions of the K 240.
I mean the foam rings that are used to keep the earpieces from being wobbly .
I posted some photo's of the foam rings and thier position. It is not really neccessary to de-solder the drivers, you can cut the foam and push it in.

@ GreenNeedle: do you still have the original headbands with the holes in them , and if yes , do you sell them also?

Attachments

• 20200629_181401.jpg
    20200629_181401.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200629_192854.jpg
    20200629_192854.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #1,314 of 1,737

The grill needs to be broken? I like to see the headphones of the person who wrote this....:sweat_smile:

The foam disks that will come with your pads are not used in the sextett, they are for other versions of the K 240.
I posted some photo's of the foam ring.
@ GreenNeedle: do you still have the original headbands with the holes in them , and if yes , do you sell them also?
I see. Those discs are not sold anywhere from what I see. Where did you get your replacements?

Jul 3, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #1,315 of 1,737

I posted some photo's of the foam rings and thier position. It is not really neccessary to de-solder the drivers, you can cut the foam and push it in.

Just received the unit. The are the MPs.

They photos ddint do them justice. They are in absolutely top condition (the headband too).
The pads are excellent and I'm not even sure the loops need to be replaced ASAP. Not a single mark that I can see and the cable is surprisingly flexible and lightweight. I was expecting something completely different (heavy, rigid and thick) like most high impedance cans feature.

As for sound, I'm listening them for half an hour now and boy am I blown away! They are very smooth but at the same time definition is top notch and the bass is great deep and punchy. I don't hear any harshness or nasty peaks even on albums I know they are mastered very bright. Not a hint of sibilance either. They sound like a sonic equivalent to my favorite iems Hifiman RE600.

More to follow but it has to be one of the most coherent sound signatures I have ever heard. Early days but it blows all my Hd650, DT150 and Dt100 out of the water!

Jul 3, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #1,316 of 1,737

Yes I have 2 of them. One of them is on the left here. Make me an offer. lol:
IMG_0001.JPG

Jul 3, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #1,317 of 1,737
Yes I have 2 of them. One of them is on the left here. Make me an offer. lol:

Hmm, difficult to say. Is the headband in perfect shape ? ( i have one that has a lot of tiny cracks around the holes and outer edges )
It has to be sent to The Netherlands and i don't know what the shipment options and costs are.

For the leather ones you wrote "should be under a tenner incl shipment "
So maybe you can be so good and name a price for this plastic one incl, economy shipment to the netherlands :relieved: thanks

Jul 3, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #1,318 of 1,737
Hmm, difficult to say. Is the headband in perfect shape ? ( i have one that has a lot of tiny cracks around the holes and outer edges )
It has to be sent to The Netherlands and i don't know what the shipment options and costs are.

For the leather ones you wrote "should be under a tenner incl shipment "
So maybe you can be so good and name a price for this plastic one incl, economy shipment to the netherlands :relieved: thanks

I'll check for crack and holes. From memory all I can remember is receiving it and thinking they are bit flimsy and warped (head heat.) Don;t think there was any damage to it, just a bit flimsy.sd

Postage to the Netherlands isn;t that expensive (yet...Brexit etc.) so £11/13euro for the pair would be fine with me. I'll check the condition first though.

Jul 3, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #1,319 of 1,737
I see. Those discs are not sold anywhere from what I see. Where did you get your replacements?

At Thomann, i paid about 8 euro's for 2 pieces + 2,50 shipment to the netherlands ( shipment to the UK is much more expensive however, 8 pounds if i remember correctly )
Maybe it's cheaper via you contact in the UK were you bought the elastics :relieved:

Or maybe the foam in your headphones is still OK.

Jul 3, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #1,320 of 1,737
I'll check for crack and holes. From memory all I can remember is receiving it and thinking they are bit flimsy and warped (head heat.) Don;t think there was any damage to it, just a bit flimsy.sd

Postage to the Netherlands isn;t that expensive (yet...Brexit etc.) so £11/13euro for the pair would be fine with me. I'll check the condition first though.

Would that be 13 euro's for two headbands?

I posted a photo of the headband on my mp sextett : the cracks are better visible on the inside of the headband as you can see, this one has cracks all over it, not just the part on the photo.

Attachments

• 20200703_211141.jpg
    20200703_211141.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back