AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Mar 13, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #1,097 of 1,737
  I'd say there's something wrong with your 990 if its treble makes your ears bleed but that of the sextett doesn't, but hard to say without measurements. The worst offense in this case is using modern pads, but can't tell from the picture what you got.

That's exactly the trouble with the first gen DT990. Over the years, the stock ear pads became as flat as a pancake. And you can't buy new ones. So you have either to stuff the stock pads, or use alternatives. Each choice will have an impact on the perceived sound.
No matter which pad I used, I found them too sibilant.

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #1,098 of 1,737
Stuffing the pads isn't a problem, since cotton wool is cheap and works well acoustically with the old pads. Regarding the effect on sound overall, your physical ear will impact the sound waves to an extent well in excess of the manufacturer's specs - ie. they didn't design the signature with your particular ear's filtering effects in mind. The sound is 'compromised' whichever phones you have and whatever your pad options, so notions of "the way it was meant to be" can only slow you down.

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #1,099 of 1,737
How can I open these up if the screws are rusty?...

Apr 2, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #1,102 of 1,737
How to get sure that i have sextett's, not a normal model of k240? Mine doesn't have a original cable or a headband, There is only written "for outputs 4-600 ohm k240 made in austria" on the right cup.

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #1,104 of 1,737
I have been  thinking that i ve got sextetts, but yesterday i look at some auctions at local website and there people are selling headphones which look the same as mine very cheap (+- 80$).

I will post pictures today.

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #1,105 of 1,737
  I have been  thinking that i ve got sextetts, but yesterday i look at some auctions at local website and there people are selling headphones which look the same as mine very cheap (+- 80$).

I will post pictures today.

Please post pics of the (uncovered) drivers. That's the only way to determine a Sextett.

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #1,107 of 1,737
  How i can dissamble this HP's to take a picture uncovered driver?

You don't have to disamble them. Just take off the ear pads and the plastic screen.
If the screen is difficult to remove, just take a picture of what you can see through the screen.

See also http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=AKG_K240_Series

Users who are viewing this thread

Back