AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Jan 9, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #916 of 1,737
Quote:
The Sextetts never had foam on the baffle as far as I know. If foam is mentioned in connection with the Sexes, it's usually the foam that's inside the cup. Also, metal guard? We are talking about the baffle, right?

The K 241 (or, at the latest, K 250) and onward came with foam on the baffle (unlike the auction pictures of naked baffles would lead one to believe), though it seems that the type of foam changed from an early version that was quite light to a later and modern version that was/is thicker.

Yes, excuse me for my weird wording I did mean the baffle :>. The foam was mostly just for experimenting with the sound and for comfort, I knew from the start it would probably do more harm than good but I wanted to test none the less.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #917 of 1,737
I was too lazy to wait for my ebay aquarium foam to arrive so I stole some plain old black rubber hairbands and put my LPs back together - WOW!
Can this rub shoulders with a K701?  YES.  Can it do better?  ... maybe not.

These are SO AKG... lovely vocals, detail masters, and a thumpy, but polite, bass.  I even detect some decent bass extension into the sub.  Treble is just shy of being aggressive which is exactly what I want.  Very airy... as in a nice wide soundstage.  I wish I had a K701 here right now.  I don't know why the theme has been that the LP is bass light.. these are not bass light.  They are also not bass heavy.. they are bass perfect!

Will post a pic later, but I have these non-stock DIY pads so I sock-modded them.  Don't ask me what brand of sock, but they're comfy!

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #918 of 1,737
I missed out on the ones I was looking at, ebay. Ill have to keep looking. I continue to look at thrift shops but I never see any stereo equipment worth more the the tag that's on it, let alone any headphones....ever. I also cant fine a shop around here that has any used audio equipment. 

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #919 of 1,737
They don't sound like anything I've heard before. I would define Beyer 880's as bright and crisp, these sound totally different. Not amazingly crisp, but still detailed and definitely not muffled. The highs can get harsh with some songs but that's generally not the case. Most importantly they have an amazing sense of real space, especially with well recorded vocals and acoustics. I can totally delve into the music with my 240's, it's a lot of fun.

Bought a pair of DT880's (250ohm) today and I prefer them a lot more than my Sextett LP's.  Even out of the box, and not broken in.  I haven't done a ton of comparisons yet but they aren't any brighter than the 240's.  I guess it depends on the amp too, of course.

One thing about my LP's...I did extensive comparing against a pair of EP's which were only played a few times.  My LP just blew the EP away.  Much better bass and sound stage.  Now unless LP's are really considered better, I honestly believe these K240's are tweaked differently and it's a crap shoot on which one you get.  That may explain the varying comments in this thread.  Now to be fair my LP's were broken in more but there's no way the EP's (which were still in the original box) would have ever sounded as good.

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #920 of 1,737
Question to the experts:

Does it make more sense to buy an entire new K240 Studio and raid it for its parts rather than order parts for a Sextett?
I see on the parts list that the elastics are the same, as are the pads, and inner foam.  I could even swap in the headband, detachable cable if I wanted to.

Drivers look different though.  I think I just convinced myself to do it.  Thanks!

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #921 of 1,737
Quote:
Question to the experts:

Does it make more sense to buy an entire new K240 Studio and raid it for its parts rather than order parts for a Sextett?
I see on the parts list that the elastics are the same, as are the pads, and inner foam.  I could even swap in the headband, detachable cable if I wanted to.

Drivers look different though.  I think I just convinced myself to do it.  Thanks!

No.

The parts which set the Sextett and other notable K240 variations apart are the baffles and drivers.  These are no longer sold by AKG so you would have acquire them used.  

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Jan 26, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #922 of 1,737
Quote:

No.

The parts which set the Sextett and other notable K240 variations apart are the baffles and drivers.  These are no longer sold by AKG so you would have acquire them used.  

Sorry, should have clarified that I'm restoring a Sextett LP and needed pads, foam, headband, elastics.  Pads alone are $25. a new K240S is $61 right now...

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #923 of 1,737
I say go for the new K240 for parts. You never know when the leftover pieces will be useful for something else as well. 

Jul 4, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #925 of 1,737
I just have a quick question about amping these. Is 380mw into 600 ohms enough to power these? Also are these sibilant for anyone? I'm 90% certain that mine are because my amp isn't driving them well (which will be fixed soon) but just making sure. 

Jul 5, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #926 of 1,737
That much power is likely to deafen you. 

While I don't have mine anymore, I didn't find them sibilant. A bit fuzzy in the treble region perhaps, but nothing severe. 

Jul 6, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #928 of 1,737
Quote:
I just have a quick question about amping these. Is 380mw into 600 ohms enough to power these? Also are these sibilant for anyone? I'm 90% certain that mine are because my amp isn't driving them well (which will be fixed soon) but just making sure. 

I found the LP version I had more sibilant than the MP.
Trying different ear pads will help, and also putting some felt on the grill for damping.
But still, this LP was a rather sibilant headphone.

Jul 6, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #929 of 1,737
The Sextett, as well as many other AKG dynamics from that era, suffers from massive ringing in the treble. It's part of the Sextett identity. Lower the treble and/or boost the bass with an EQ to warm up the sound.

Jul 6, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #930 of 1,737
Quote:
The Sextett, as well as many other AKG dynamics from that era, suffers from massive ringing in the treble. It's part of the Sextett identity. Lower the treble and/or boost the bass with an EQ to warm up the sound.

Raising the bass on a Sextett?
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back