AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Jan 7, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #901 of 1,737
I've been using mine a lot lately with the Magni, but I still can't figure out why mine only sound goods with the filter foam removed.

People said it has NO effect on the sound, but for me it definitely does. When I install any foam it chops off the treble and makes it more muffled sounding.
It's not subtle at all. I even tried pillow stuffing, but it sounded as bad as with the filter foam.

Maybe there really is a difference in sound between the stock AKG foam and aquarium filter foam? I don't think i'll ever figure this out...

The soundstage definitely got larger with the Magni and it seems to make it sound clearer. My Sextett seemed to not have a whole lot of treble, but without the foam it's OK.

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #902 of 1,737
Quote:
I've been using mine a lot lately with the Magni, but I still can't figure out why mine only sound goods with the filter foam removed.

People said it has NO effect on the sound, but for me it definitely does. When I install any foam it chops off the treble and makes it more muffled sounding.
It's not subtle at all. I even tried pillow stuffing, but it sounded as bad as with the filter foam.

Maybe there really is a difference in sound between the stock AKG foam and aquarium filter foam? I don't think i'll ever figure this out...

Well, mine arrived without any foam at all, so far I've been listening without the foam which might be why it sounds so good to my ears. Anyway I ordered some akg and beyer foam to play around with (I'll just cut what I need). Right now the highs can be aggressive on some select numbers so I'm hoping to tame that. Other than that I really love these headphones :)

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #903 of 1,737
Quote:
I've been listening to my Sextett for a while now, absolutely recommendation if you can get them for a decent price.
They are just so FUN to listen to, very 'vintage'y sounding. Still waiting for new pads and foam and materials to fix up the headband to play with.

How do you mean vintagey? The pair of LP I heard weren't exactly vintage in sound as I might describe, nor are the relatives, K 241 and K 250. Bright and crisp.

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #904 of 1,737
Quote:

How do you mean vintagey? The pair of LP I heard weren't exactly vintage in sound as I might describe, nor are the relatives, K 241 and K 250. Bright and crisp.

They don't sound like anything I've heard before. I would define Beyer 880's as bright and crisp, these sound totally different. Not amazingly crisp, but still detailed and definitely not muffled. The highs can get harsh with some songs but that's generally not the case. Most importantly they have an amazing sense of real space, especially with well recorded vocals and acoustics. I can totally delve into the music with my 240's, it's a lot of fun.

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #905 of 1,737
Fun they are. It doesn't much matter which vintage AKG you get from that era, they've typically got nice PRaT and a clear (if a bit piercing, as you say) sound. The K 340 being an exception.

(For even 'realer' vocals, the vintage orthos should be the next step.)

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #906 of 1,737
How hard are these to refurb? I'm looking at a set but they're pretty beat up and will need some work,but if I can get them cheap enough...

also just to be sure the Sextetts are the only ones to have silver and not gold right..

Didn't they do some kind of sextett re release or something a bit ago?

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #907 of 1,737
Quote:
How hard are these to refurb? I'm looking at a set but they're pretty beat up and will need some work,but if I can get them cheap enough...

also just to be sure the Sextetts are the only ones to have silver and not gold right..

There might still be drivers available from AKG, I don't think you can find factory passive drivers for the Sextets any more.  Pads and headbands can be found easily enough online, but there are a good amount of older K240XX to be found on ebay and other sites.  

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Jan 9, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #908 of 1,737
Quote:

Refurbing is possible, replacement parts available besides drivers and passive radiators. The sextetts are silver, yes.
Some useful info here http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=AKG_K240_Series
Basically, only AKG K240 and AKG K242 are sextetts. Early, middle and later production have headbands with holes in, late production can also have a whole headband.
For further indication which release it is you have, look at the color of the radiators.

The AKG K240 MKII is AKG's re-release of the 240 family (also silver!), but doesn't sound alike to the old sound signature, nor does it feature the passive radiator design. It does make for a great new supply of spare parts, though.

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #909 of 1,737
Quote:

Some useful info here http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=AKG_K240_Series
Basically, only AKG K240 and AKG K242 are sextetts. Early, middle and later production have headbands with holes in, late production can also have a whole headband.

Although, as it says in the article, the Realistic Pro 50 has the Sextett passive radiators and presumably the Sextett drivers, though of the latter there's no actual confirmation that I'm aware. Assuming the name Sextett derives from the six passive radiators, one might say the Pro 50 is a Sextett as well (and if not, it might be argued that the LP, for instance, is not truly a Sextett since they appear to have a different driver from the earlier models).

(As far as headbands go, you can expect any kind of 'band on any kind of vintage K 240 at this point.)

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #910 of 1,737
So basically if they're silver and say K240 600 ohm on the side of the they're Sextetts right? Plus the passive drivers. Ive always wanted a part and In trying to decide if its worth getting a fixer upper set or not. I suppose it would all be a matter of the right price. 

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #912 of 1,737
Unless someone (e.g., AKG) put different drivers in them under servicing. I've got a pair of serviced K 141 that I suspect have Monitor drivers in them rather than the Sextett ones they ought to. But who knows.

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #913 of 1,737
Quote:
Unless someone (e.g., AKG) put different drivers in them under servicing. I've got a pair of serviced K 141 that I suspect have Monitor drivers in them rather than the Sextett ones they ought to. But who knows.

Right you can never tell whats really been done to 30+ year old headphones unless your getting the from the original owner, but it should be a safe assumption. 

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #914 of 1,737
So I had 3 types of foam on order, AKG, Beyer and Sennheiser foam. All 3 altered the sound subtly (or in the case of sennheiser foam: dramatically), but overall the sound is much more intimate without any foam at all (although less comfortable: my ears are constantly against the metal guard). I am now experimenting with a self-made headband design which is getting along well.

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #915 of 1,737
The Sextetts never had foam on the baffle as far as I know. If foam is mentioned in connection with the Sexes, it's usually the foam that's inside the cup. Also, metal guard? We are talking about the baffle, right?

The K 241 (or, at the latest, K 250) and onward came with foam on the baffle (unlike the auction pictures of naked baffles would lead one to believe), though it seems that the type of foam changed from an early version that was quite light to a later and modern version that was/is thicker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back