AKG K 701 with Zune HD - Would I need an amp?
Aug 17, 2011 at 6:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Klesk

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi, i'm new here! I've recently ordered a pair of the AKG 701s after my Creative Aurvana Live! broke. I'm wondering if the Zune HD can power the 701s enough to listen, or if I should purchase a portable amp. I've been thinking about getting the FiiO E11, but i'd like some opinions.

Aug 18, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #2 of 17
I seriously doubt the Zune's amp will suffice, as well as the E11.  If you get a Cowon J3, you won't need an amp for the K701.  I wouldn't know what portable amp to recommend with your setup.  Perhaps the P4?

Aug 18, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 17
I'd like to stick with my Zune HD, if possible. Since i'm getting the 701s next week, i'll wait and see so I don't spend money unnecessarily. Also, do you have a link to the P4?

Aug 18, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
I'd like to stick with my Zune HD, if possible. Since i'm getting the 701s next week, i'll wait and see so I don't spend money unnecessarily. Also, do you have a link to the P4?

Link.
Again, I'm just guessing as to what will match well with the K701.  If you don't mind a desktop amp instead, the E9 will do, or a budget Audio-gd amp, the M-Stage, or a used Gilmore Lite/Dynalo.

Aug 18, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 17
I have the Sennheiser HD558, which has about the same impedence as the K701, and coming out of the Zune HD, it sounds slightly flatter than listening out of a laptop or iPad 2, although it's still not too bad. With an amp, it's still much better. Try it for a week or so without an amp and see how you like it, and if you're not satisfied, go for an amp as it definitely helps.

Aug 18, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #6 of 17
I plan on getting a desktop amp later on down the road, but for now i'd just like a decent portable amp. I've heard good things about the iBasso, but I'm looking for something cheaper at the moment (around $100).

Aug 19, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
I plan on getting a desktop amp later on down the road, but for now i'd just like a decent portable amp. I've heard good things about the iBasso, but I'm looking for something cheaper at the moment (around $100).

If you want a very cost efficient powerhouse, the PA2V2 will tie you over for the time being then. It's built with very high grade components for the price as well!

Aug 19, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #8 of 17
The PA2V2 seems to be a great budget amp, but I don't think I could carry it with my other devices in my pocket. I'm looking for portable in a way that I can carry everything in my pocket/clip on belt/etc while using it, not to store in my backpack and such. I saw a topic on the new FiiO E6, what do you think of that amp? The size makes it easy if I want to use it on the go.

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
The PA2V2 seems to be a great budget amp, but I don't think I could carry it with my other devices in my pocket. I'm looking for portable in a way that I can carry everything in my pocket/clip on belt/etc while using it, not to store in my backpack and such. I saw a topic on the new FiiO E6, what do you think of that amp? The size makes it easy if I want to use it on the go.

I don't want to bang the same ol' drum, but I know the K701's look great and are comfortable as hell, but maybe it's time to consider other headphones. I mean other 701 owners are putting 500-1000 dollar tube amps through them, I'd recommend at minimum one of the beefier portable amps minimum.

Have the cable shortened and carry the setup in a laptop/camera bag or something if you really want to tough it.

You could always switch to grados :)

Aug 24, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #11 of 17
I don't want to bang the same ol' drum, but I know the K701's look great and are comfortable as hell, but maybe it's time to consider other headphones. I mean other 701 owners are putting 500-1000 dollar tube amps through them, I'd recommend at minimum one of the beefier portable amps minimum.

Have the cable shortened and carry the setup in a laptop/camera bag or something if you really want to tough it.

You could always switch to grados :)

Even without an AMP they sound good and better than my grados. A mini3 is one option. I haven't tried many alternatives there is not exactly a rush with how they sound. I have tried the alternate pads but noting changes that they are painful after 30 min. There are lots of options in portable amps.

I thought the comment about selling the AKG was pretty absurd noting people spending a lot of money on AMPs on head-fi if you have the money why not spend the money for just a little more even if it is diminishing returns. You can get more expensive headphones but they won't have the same sound.

My other headphones haven't gotten any attention in months. :frowning2:

Aug 24, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #12 of 17
I received them in the mail today. They work fine with the Zune HD, 25-28 being good volumes (out of 30) without destroying your ears. The k701s sound great and I hope they sound even better when I inevitably buy a desktop amp later on.

Aug 24, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #13 of 17

Quote:

You're intending to use 701's as portable cans?

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #15 of 17
I think it's a bad idea for you, and for anyone around you. Those headphones have an open design which lets sound in and out... you won't get to hear your music clearly, and it'll be annoying for anybody you're near.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back