AKG 702's ARE NOT FOR ME!
Mar 23, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #61 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had K701s, same situation as the OP I just didn't enjoy music through them. They had over 400 hours of head time when I sold them and over 600 total burn in. The burn-in was one of the most underwhelming burn-ins I've experienced with any pair of headphones, so I don't see where everyone gets off with the "OH THEY GET SO MUCH BETTER AFTER 1000 HOURS!".

No, that's your mind adjusting to them to compensate for the lack of fun you're having.

The sound did not fill out or become warmer at all, if anything it became harsher and brighter, not a good thing at all in the case of these cans.

just wondering, did you get a chance to listen to them with your current audio-gd dac and amp?

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #62 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, that's your mind adjusting to them to compensate for the lack of fun you're having.

Then why didn't this work in your case?

Quote:

The sound did not fill out or become warmer at all, if anything it became harsher and brighter, not a good thing at all in the case of these cans.

Maybe the placebo effect played tricks on you the opposite way than it normally does. Are you left-handed by chance? If there are audiophiles, maybe you're an anti-audiophile.
confused_face(1).gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #64 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mannymax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing has now struck me, this hobby is about the enjoyment of listening to music, there is a big difference to listening to well produced sounds, the 702 sounds great, but for me does not produce music.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarKu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazing clarity, soundstage, separation/imaginig, but the music thought them is just dead....

confused_face_2.gif

What a weird thread..

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #66 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
k701/702's sound pretty unimpressive/bad out of cheaper OTL tube amps from my experience. Solid state or hybrid is the way to go with these headphones imho.

plus 1 for hybrid.

Mar 24, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #67 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a side note, it's funny that you believe in cables and burn in
biggrin.gif
. From your post, it gives the impression that burn in is only minor contrary to popular opinion that it is significant. We shall have good debates in the future for sure! Peace out man.

As far as I know I don't suffer from schizophrenia, so I generally trust in my experiences and allow them to guide an ongoing revision of my construct system. I'm not sure where the "nonbeliever" contingent draws the line between allowing experience to be meaningful and not. I mean, we're talking personal audio equipment here. Why would I trust my ears to work their way through thousands of audio dollars only to cut them off when it comes to a couple of (stupidly) contentious issues? Where is the line? Who drew it?

We could simply check frequency response graphs or take a general consensus as to what headphones other people believe are best for us--there's clearly no shortage of members willing to tell others what to think. But of course that's ridiculous. Headphones make sound. You need to put them on your head.

Seriously, why would I revise my construct system using the experiences and beliefs of others when I can resolve audio matters on my own to my 100% satisfaction? I have a reasonable enough sense as to when my ears are sure of something, and when they aren't. This isn't a scientific approach, but I'm listening to music and making a decision, not studying a cure for cancer and publishing in peer-reviewed journals.

Really, there's no need for further debate. I've suffered through my fair share. I deserve a peaceful retirement.

Moving on to a topic I enjoy:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The simple truth is that the K701 are super analytical with some amps and is quite happy to stretch the music apart and put every instrument in it's own little space. This works with some things and not so well in others. I didn't exactly like having the rock band feel like they were 5-10m apart and I'm fairly sure a drum kit isn't 5m wide. In comes the Canamp and it's not so super detailed and it colours the sound by making things a bit warmer. So yes, the K70X is quite picky with amps. Maybe this is what you viewed as dull whereas others who had known the headphone to be boring with other amps saw it as a good match [technically better amps that is].

I hear what you're saying about the Canamp. It shrinks the large K701 soundstage, adds some impressive if slightly strange depth, erases some detail, colors in some warmth, and drives them half-competently. But improving things with only loosely synergistic flaws is a poor solution, and that's how the Canamp always sounded to me: not bad, a little frail. I spent a long time with the K701 comparing five or six amps directly. It was a marvelously enjoyable and illuminating lower mid-fi experience to hear strengths and weaknesses all lined up like that. Then I spent a long time comparing a Balanced Desktop/K701 to a Cayin HA-1A/SE K701.

There's nothing special about the Canamp/K701 combination. I get better synergy with a 1st gen Shuffle and ES7. I've been here long enough to recognize a fad, and the Canamp was a fad. Not a terrible amp, mind you, but an overblown fad nonetheless. Among entry-level amps for the K701, the Canamp loses to the M^3 when it comes to a generally pleasingly, musical sound that condenses the soundstage to agree with a wider range of genres. Hell, even the SuperMacro IV trumped the Canamp in more than a few areas, including soundstage and tonality.

When I say the Canamp was dull I don't mean that it wasn't articulate or analytical enough in the way a Darkvoice 336i, Yarland P100 or Balanced Desktop will tend to drive a difficult AKG. I mean it was a big bowlful of yawn. The K701 is a highly capable pair of headphones, a blank canvas if you will, and the Canamp paints at no more than a fifth-grade level.

Considering my lack of extended experience with higher-end equipment, and allowing for relativity, I'd say the Cayin HA-1A is a talented high school senior. Though she certainly may have betters, her work is articulate and filled to the brim with life.

Mar 24, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #68 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 701 can sound extremely musical.

X2,there are many times where I extremly enjoyed the 701,I don't know what they mean by not producing music or enjoyment....

Mar 24, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #69 of 108
Out of the 67 replies to this thread, there has only been 12 posts that actually recommend other headphones, the original post was asking you guys about some new phones, instead, the majority of posts were along the lines of, "don't give up on the 702's" you will get a better sound through investing more money in a better amps etc.

Mar 24, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #70 of 108
Well, I'd be more than happy to duplicate my post:

"Buy the RS1"

There we go, 13 posts of recommendations.
icon10.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #73 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its little weird when people say that k701/2 is true to the source but its not musical !?
Think that those two statements dont go together.

A lot of the music these days is not too musical.
frown.gif
But I guess that's another topic

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #75 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's a good thing.

stick with headphones recommended by people who post in caps and abuse exclamation mark.

lol, seriously, you're flaming somebody for a thread title just because they don't like K701's? I can't even imagine how you could troll harder. It's not like the guy wrote in all caps and exclamation points after the title.

I 10000000000% guarantee you wouldn't have made this remark if the thread title was "K701 HAS CONVERTED ME INTO A K701 FANATICllllllllllllll! LOLZ, K701 FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

You would have been the first person in the thread to pat the guy on the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back