AKG 702's ARE NOT FOR ME!
Mar 23, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #46 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mannymax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well thats all very well and good, would love some T1's like a lot of people on here, but i'm not prepared to spend £895.00 on headphones!

How much would you spend on HD650 and K701 together?

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #47 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachkebia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much would you spend on HD650 and K701 together?

Well i don't own any hd650's, but with the k702's, the heed can amp and the dac, the bill was around £700, Why do you ask?

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #48 of 108
I ask because I mentioned T1 to a person who said it would be cool to have k701 for jazz/classics and hd650 for trance electronics, so I said it would be easier to have T1
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #49 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachkebia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ask because I mentioned T1 to a person who said it would be cool to have k701 for jazz/classics and hd650 for trance electronics, so I said it would be easier to have T1
smily_headphones1.gif

well i see where your coming from, but theres still a large margin moneywise, in the uk, you could get the K702 and the hd 650 for approx. £500 ish, the T1's would be nearly another £400!!!

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #50 of 108
i didnt find k701 unmusical,i sold them because they were flwaed,
anyway,if you want different sound i recommend hd650,but i see you mainly listen to electronia and rock so i think d5000 will fit the bill and better than hd650 in these genres.
if you listen to jazz and classical then hd650 will be much better than d5000 or k701.
i dont like d5000 for classical at all,open headphones is the way to go if listening to theses genres IMO.

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #51 of 108
The original poster doesn't seem to be short on cash (based on not wanting to sell his 702s for at least $200), so I would say just get an RS1 and be done with it.

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #52 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by SanJoseCanJunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... so I would say just get an RS1 and be done with it.

Maybe a good option. If you have a limited budget you may get Grado SR60.

P.S. I love my AKG K701.

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #53 of 108
More hours will see the K70x improved, but not make them more musical. You won't suddenly be blown away by their sound, and the improvement won't be meaningful unless you already found them engaging. I thought they were quite dull out of a Canamp, or rather, they revealed the Canamp to be dull.

Mar 23, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #54 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i didnt find k701 unmusical,i sold them because they were flwaed,
anyway,if you want different sound i recommend hd650,but i see you mainly listen to electronia and rock so i think d5000 will fit the bill and better than hd650 in these genres.
if you listen to jazz and classical then hd650 will be much better than d5000 or k701.
i dont like d5000 for classical at all,open headphones is the way to go if listening to theses genres IMO.

I have similar sentiments.
smily_headphones1.gif
My MD5000's with J$ pads are fantastic with rock and especially electronica and hip-hop. I have only heard the HD650 a few times, but I expect that it is is less 'good' in comparison. For jazz and acoustic 'rock' I choose the Alessandro MS-2i. Cheaper (by a wide margin) than the HF-2/RS-1, but similarly smooth and detailed for that type of stuff.

Mar 23, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #55 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe a good option. If you have a limited budget you may get Grado SR60.

lol at working in the SR60 rec. you are so money with that.

Mar 23, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #57 of 108
Yeah OP I was only kidding about the 1000 hours of burn in before. It's always seen as the answer to all your K70X issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More hours will see the K70x improved, but not make them more musical. You won't suddenly be blown away by their sound, and the improvement won't be meaningful unless you already found them engaging. I thought they were quite dull out of a Canamp, or rather, they revealed the Canamp to be dull.

The simple truth is that the K701 are super analytical with some amps and is quite happy to stretch the music apart and put every instrument in it's own little space. This works with some things and not so well in others. I didn't exactly like having the rock band feel like they were 5-10m apart and I'm fairly sure a drum kit isn't 5m wide. In comes the Canamp and it's not so super detailed and it colours the sound by making things a bit warmer. So yes, the K70X is quite picky with amps. Maybe this is what you viewed as dull whereas others who had known the headphone to be boring with other amps saw it as a good match [technically better amps that is].

That said, it is a great headphone with an expansive sound stage and overall a bright sound signature. You don't have to look too hard to realise most headfiers loathe bright cans. Others take issue with the sound stage. Some say the tonality is completely off. Meh.

On a side note, it's funny that you believe in cables and burn in
biggrin.gif
. From your post, it gives the impression that burn in is only minor contrary to popular opinion that it is significant. We shall have good debates in the future for sure! Peace out man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought Tool named an album after the 701? "10,000 Days" of burn in.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ahahha nice.

Mar 23, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #58 of 108
If you plug a Linn Sondek LP-12 at the front end I'm pretty sure you will be tapping your foot to some catchy tunes through the 702's. If not your musical taste indicates you are a Grado man. Choose wisely Grasshopper!
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #59 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I know what you mean. But 150 hours are not enough. Give it another 150 hours before giving up! And take care to wear the ear pads in! As soon as they're softer (and thus thinner during wearing!), the sound will become fuller and warmer – and more «musical».

I had K701s, same situation as the OP I just didn't enjoy music through them. They had over 400 hours of head time when I sold them and over 600 total burn in. The burn-in was one of the most underwhelming burn-ins I've experienced with any pair of headphones, so I don't see where everyone gets off with the "OH THEY GET SO MUCH BETTER AFTER 1000 HOURS!".

No, that's your mind adjusting to them to compensate for the lack of fun you're having.

The sound did not fill out or become warmer at all, if anything it became harsher and brighter, not a good thing at all in the case of these cans.

Mar 23, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #60 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by autonomous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you plug a Linn Sondek LP-12 at the front end I'm pretty sure you will be tapping your foot to some catchy tunes through the 702's. If not your musical taste indicates you are a Grado man. Choose wisely Grasshopper!
biggrin.gif

Yeah they kind of are opposites. You can like both though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back