AKG 702's ARE NOT FOR ME!
Mar 23, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #31 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachkebia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought it needed 1200 hours? ppfff

so its 1200 hours now, anyone else want to up the anti? maybe 1500 hours lol
I was expecting the 702's to have a burn in period of 300 hours from what i have read on head-fi, so at 150 hours, i have a fair idea what they may sound like with more hours on the clock or is it a night and day difference?

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #32 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mannymax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so its 1200 hours now, anyone else want to up the anti? maybe 1500 hours lol
I was expecting the 702's to have a burn in period of 300 hours from what i have read on head-fi, so at 150 hours, i have a fair idea what they may sound like with more hours on the clock or is it a night and day difference?

I think a lot of people are just funning around on the K701 fanatics whose response to this sort of stuff is almost always "your amp isn't right and you haven't burned them in long enough."

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #33 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenstuffs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K701/2 benefits better from a tube amp, so a solid state amp wouldn't cut it. You should try the headphones with different amps before coming to a conclusion unless you believe your amp is the best there is.

k701/702's sound pretty unimpressive/bad out of cheaper OTL tube amps from my experience. Solid state or hybrid is the way to go with these headphones imho.

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #34 of 108
Have the K702 and drive them with a solid state amp - love the combination.

Have the Senn HD 650 as well but prefer the K702.

However, if someone else likes a different flavor its OK with me.

On the other hand, wouldn't be much fun or interesting here if everyone agreed.

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #35 of 108
I am just making fun, I can not imagine any type of product might need 1200 hours of pre workout
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #36 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by wlvca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have the K702 and drive them with a solid state amp - love the combination.

Have the Senn HD 650 as well but prefer the K702.

However, if someone else likes a different flavor its OK with me.

On the other hand, wouldn't be much fun or interesting here if everyone agreed.

thank you, you have summed it up in not to many words, i started this thread to ask for recommendations for different headphones, not how i could get a better sound out of them using amps costing thousands of pounds, headphones are like some foods, it does not matter how much you dress it up, you still don't like the flavor.

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #37 of 108
Why not have two rotating cans for different uses? For example, use your K702 for mostly Classical and Jazz -what it excels at. And get another can which is good for other genres like trance/rock/pop/movies etc. Like D2000/5000 etc.

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #38 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeromacro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not have two rotating cans for different uses? For example, use your K702 for mostly Classical and Jazz -what it excels at. And get another can which is good for other genres like trance/rock/pop/movies etc. Like D2000/5000 etc.

Sure, but you can just have T1 and be satisfied in both genres ?
confused.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #39 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mannymax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I will try to explain about my experience with the 702's and not bore you to much, I bought them from new and expected a long burn in period, out of the box they sounded pretty pretty dry if theres want of a word, however, after about 30 hours things sounded a bit better, more smoothed out, i was using an old arcam black box dac, that in its day was cutting edge, last week i got a new Cambridge dacmagic DAC and this tightened up the sound even more, so am quite pleased i purchased this DAC, however, after approx. 150 hours the sound has become even more smoothed out, but am not enjoying the music.

What sort of music, well, it's mostly alternative rock, some electronica, punk, 80's etc etc.. but like to listen to most music apart from jazz and classical.

Well, you ask what i didn't like about the 702, thats hard to answer lol, they really don't do anything wrong, maybe a little on the bright side, perhaps, bass is just right, however they just don't cut the mustard with me, I really wanted to like these phones, I like the sounds they produce, but there imho not musical.

Thanks for your imput on the denons, maybe i'm looking for a warmer sound, certainly no more bass, more impact would be nice, will have to research more.

Hmmm. I find the K702's to be quite bland with a lot of contemporary recordings, especially rock of any type. I've been thinking it has a lot to do with the recordings which are often compressed and not very dynamic. I've found that my Ed8's and HD650's do a LOT more justice to rock. The Grado's can be a tad strident with some of my rock.

So all in all, considering that you don't find the K70x to be bass light, then I'd suggest looking into an HD600/650. I'd lean more towards the 650's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #40 of 108
Perhaps a Sennheiser HD650 or Denon D2000/D5000D7000 would be up your alley.

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #41 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenstuffs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K701/2 benefits better from a tube amp, so a solid state amp wouldn't cut it. You should try the headphones with different amps before coming to a conclusion unless you believe your amp is the best there is.

Really? I thought the SS Heed Canamp is considered one of the very best matches for the K701/702.

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #42 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? I thought the SS Heed Canamp is considered one of the very best matches for the K701/702.

Agreed...I never really liked my K701s with any tube amp that I tried them with. I always preferred them with even a Total Bithead. The Heed Canamp and Gilmore Lite were the best that I heard with them.

Mar 23, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #44 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeromacro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well that's pretty much what i'm thinking of doing, however, i do not listen to classical or jazz, but the 702's are good with more subtle well recorded tracks, will decide if i'll keep em after i get some new phones.

Mar 23, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #45 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachkebia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, but you can just have T1 and be satisfied in both genres ?
confused.gif

Well thats all very well and good, would love some T1's like a lot of people on here, but i'm not prepared to spend £895.00 on headphones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back