AIAIAI TMA-1
Apr 29, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #766 of 1,345

Quote:

Pardon my ignorance, but is separation the ability to distinguish different instruments easily? if so, then yes; they are very good at doing that.
I havent heard them significantly struggle; although they can sound a little off when blasting them at insane volumes (but this could change with more burn in, or a better source and amp)

Yes yes, and if these sound like TF10s with a less fatiguing sound sig then that sounds perfect to me, I can't study with m50s or TF10s when I study as i just get a headache after an hour and I can't listen to my MD's cos their drivers are so delicate it takes me liek 15 seconds to take them in and out and it's just annoying so I guess TMA-1s here i come!

Apr 29, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #767 of 1,345

Quote:
Yes yes, and if these sound like TF10s with a less fatiguing sound sig then that sounds perfect to me, I can't study with m50s or TF10s when I study as i just get a headache after an hour and I can't listen to my MD's cos their drivers are so delicate it takes me liek 15 seconds to take them in and out and it's just annoying so I guess TMA-1s here i come!

do your ears get tired of listening to the TF10's or is it because of the way they fit your ears? I actually find the TF10's to be very easy to listen to for extended periods. the ~3-6k region for me is the most sensetive part of my hearing; which makes these perfect for me. Speed isnt rediculously quick like the TF10's, although they arent far behind (I feel the seperate driver on the TF10's allow them to really nail massive high and low frequency beats simultaneously without any distortion)

If you want to save some money, I highly reccomend you get yourself some comply's for the MD's. They take less than 5 seconds for me to insert them in my ear and you get no driver flex since the air can escape between the pores. Installing the comply's backwards eliminates the interference from the foam, so you dont lose out on any detail.
In my opinion, the TMA's dont isolate as well as a pair of IEM's; so if you're in a busy environment, you may become motivated to turn up the volume to compensate(and they are very loud by the way)

Apr 30, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #768 of 1,345

Quote:
I can't say I've read every review though from the ones I've read no one has actually specifically mentioned its ability in instrument seperation and speed, if anyone can comment on this it'd be great. Thanks!

Note: I don't consider myself to have good ears. 

But from my experience (about 2-3 weeks now) they do a great job at instrument separation and keep up with some pretty fast folk music I have. 

Also, as an owner of M50s I can say that I can study while listening the TMA-1's for much longer than my M50s. M50s I could go maybe 2 hours. Then my ears would hurt, would be sweaty, or I would have a headache (very slight, but present). The recessions the TMA-1's possess don't detract from the music for me and allow me to wear them comfortably (both on the ears with glasses and in terms of no headache) for 6-8 hours while studying (finals :D). 

Any other questions feel free to ask!

May 2, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #769 of 1,345
I bought a pair after many hours of research, and I'm really pleased with them.

The only problem is that I bought them on sale, from a store saying that the box was opened to show a customer, but never worn. I looked at them thoroughly, and they appeared to have some chipped paint near the holes where the cups are - on both sides. Is this natual or should I take them back? Seems like someone had them for a few days & took them back, and then the store listed them as never worn I'm higher hopes of making a sale.

May 2, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #770 of 1,345

Quote:

The only problem is that I bought them on sale, from a store saying that the box was opened to show a customer, but never worn. I looked at them thoroughly, and they appeared to have some chipped paint near the holes where the cups are - on both sides. Is this natual or should I take them back? Seems like someone had them for a few days & took them back, and then the store listed them as never worn I'm higher hopes of making a sale.

Mine have a few small "chips" on the rails in which the cups slide.  They're not near the holes, but rather along the edges.  They've been this way since day one.  It's subtle so it's impossible for me to photograph and, to be honest, it never bothered me to begin with.

May 2, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #771 of 1,345

Quote:

Quote:

Mine have a few small "chips" on the rails in which the cups slide.  They're not near the holes, but rather along the edges.  They've been this way since day one.  It's subtle so it's impossible for me to photograph and, to be honest, it never bothered me to begin with.

+1
As nice as they are, I doubt their QC inspects them as thoroughly as the customers. mine werent perfect either, there's one minor chip on the rail and the headband padding was glued slightly closer to the right cup; incase you were wondering

May 3, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #772 of 1,345
you know i had the same problem with paint chipping so when i got the second pair i decided to fix the problem by putting tape around the holes and presto! it worked. the adjustable mechanism still works and the cups still swivel even if the holes are blocked. it doesn't look that bad if you only do it to the holes you mostly use. Every thing else is fine for me nothing else is cracking or chipping. They look like new right now even after hours and days of use. So i guess in the long term the only thing that will break is the paint which i really don't mind since underneath the material looks pretty awesome and i would really like to see a version without the rubber matte finnish. 

May 3, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #773 of 1,345

I had mine a few months and didn't have a problem with chipping at all. Still looked brand new when I sold them a few weeks ago.

Quote:
you know i had the same problem with paint chipping so when i got the second pair i decided to fix the problem by putting tape around the holes and presto! it worked. the adjustable mechanism still works and the cups still swivel even if the holes are blocked. it doesn't look that bad if you only do it to the holes you mostly use. Every thing else is fine for me nothing else is cracking or chipping. They look like new right now even after hours and days of use. So i guess in the long term the only thing that will break is the paint which i really don't mind since underneath the material looks pretty awesome and i would really like to see a version without the rubber matte finnish. 

May 4, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #775 of 1,345
Yes, they are. The only x factor is the sound signature, because that is pretty hit and miss. But the sound quality is good, the build quality is superb, and it looks pretty nice too.

Quote:
I've been wondering since I got these... Are they fairly priced fir what you get? I have no frame of reference, so I wanted to ask you guys.

May 4, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #776 of 1,345
I'm reconsidering the HD-25's again just because I think it's a safer choice but now since I have enough money for a UM3x I'm torn whether or not to get a Headphone or another IEM.. maybe I should sell my MD's...

May 4, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #777 of 1,345

Quote:
I've been wondering since I got these... Are they fairly priced fir what you get? I have no frame of reference, so I wanted to ask you guys.

I agree with kyuuketsuki. The aspect of these headphones that is debatable, in terms of being worth the money, is the sound signature. They are really comfortable for me (I wear my thick fram glasses on top of the cups), very sturdy (dropped them about 6 times from 4 feet the first two days I owned them; I almost cried, but they don't have a scratch on them), and just feel good in your hands (or on your head). 

As for the sound signature, it turned out to be well worth the money for me. It was the type of sound I have been looking for in a headphone (both EQ'ed and unEQ'ed). Although it is not neutral at all, I love it. It just sounds good to my ears. 

So in summation, definitely worth it (for me).

*Note: purchased for $159.99 with no tax and free shipping.

May 4, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #778 of 1,345
In terms of sound quality i would say that they are indeed worth the price. The build quality is just outstanding! the design is fresh and very functional. The sound is great for a small close back, it definitely beats the audio technica M50s, it can be analytical while still being fun to listen to. Analytical can sometimes make tracks too flat and un-engaging to listen to. If you are looking for Sound bang /buck headphones i think the Fisher Audio FA-003 is a better choice but you are not getting the build quality of the TMA-1 and its handy features. I personally am considering the FA 003 because i have heard such good things about the sound. 

May 5, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #779 of 1,345
Can anyone sell me a straight cable for under $15? I'm trying to save as much money as possible for mother's day. Or recommend me one that is compatible with the tma's & is somewhat short? I find the Straight Cable to be a little long for my tastes, but I can live with it if anyone can sell it to me.

May 5, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #780 of 1,345

Quote:
Can anyone sell me a straight cable for under $15? I'm trying to save as much money as possible for mother's day. Or recommend me one that is compatible with the tma's & is somewhat short? I find the Straight Cable to be a little long for my tastes, but I can live with it if anyone can sell it to me.

any 3.5mm male-male cable will work. if you're in North America, try monoprice.com. otherwise an appliance store should carry the basic ones for under $10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back