AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 10, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #4,563 of 5,483
Got these Tuesday, have been able to clock some listening time and I have to say, these things are amazing, by far the most revealing headphones I have ever had. I am definitely hearing things I have never heard before in some of my favorite recordings. Also the 3D feeling to the sound, just amazes me. Very happy with these.

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #4,565 of 5,483
Got these Tuesday, have been able to clock some listening time and I have to say, these things are amazing, by far the most revealing headphones I have ever had. I am definitely hearing things I have never heard before in some of my favorite recordings. Also the 3D feeling to the sound, just amazes me. Very happy with these.

Agree, I could flatter them similarly, 3D, and super revealing!... yup :)

B

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #4,567 of 5,483
Oh goodness! What language is this site filled with?! Lol... can I purchase from them??

B
Not directly. You can find this thing on yahoo.jp and order through any mediator in Japan.

Coming back to AFC. They are hungry for power. I run my BL in turbo mode, I cannot get enough volume in Normal with some recordings, so I believe there is no any player on the market which can drive them efficiently.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #4,569 of 5,483
Ok, all new to me , but totally worthwhile... I’ve wondered of a nice way to protect my ifi while mobile, thanks!

B
you can buy it from them. Lead time was around 3 weeks.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #4,570 of 5,483
Hey Guys,

I don't listen very loud, reasonable ~70-85 dB. The sensitivity of this headphone and impedance would suggest that I could achieve this pretty easily w/o a headphone jack on my iphone and macbook, but Tyll mentioned it was a bit inefficient w/o an amp. Has anyone had problems achieving adequate volume on phones or laptops?

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #4,571 of 5,483
Not directly. You can find this thing on yahoo.jp and order through any mediator in Japan.

Coming back to AFC. They are hungry for power. I run my BL in turbo mode, I cannot get enough volume in Normal with some recordings, so I believe there is no any player on the market which can drive them efficiently.
You must not have any hearing left because I'm driving them with an iBasso DX150 using the balanced output on the standard Amp 6 and or gets plenty loud even in low gain mode, Lord enough to to be painful. Is hate to have my hearing be so bad that I need it to get that much louder.

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #4,572 of 5,483
You must not have any hearing left because I'm driving them with an iBasso DX150 using the balanced output on the standard Amp 6 and or gets plenty loud even in low gain mode, Lord enough to to be painful. Is hate to have my hearing be so bad that I need it to get that much louder.
The issue was the battery which was almost empty by that time and I could not get enough loudness with BL in Normal mode ), just tried it again with the full battery - can be painful

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #4,574 of 5,483
The issue was the battery which was almost empty by that time and I could not get enough loudness with BL in Normal mode ), just tried it again with the full battery - can be painful

Yeah, I use them with the ifi bl in “normal” too.. I have tried turbo, but not needed in my case. In normal, I am between 10 and 2 almost always, depending on genre...

Old recordings that actually still have wide dynamics and same for most classical, for the same reasons, gets cranked up a bit more at times.

B

Nov 12, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #4,575 of 5,483
Yes, I tend to boost highs and lows a bit with the AFC (some of that is my hearing though...I've lost a bit of high frequency hearing over the years).

It would be interesting to hear what MrSpeakers says about EQ (software, hardware, or otherwise). It would be especially helpful if they posted an "official" frequency response graph for the headphones also, and/or some recommended EQ settings.

Nothing wrong with EQ, the only caveat being that if you've lost some high-frequency hearing and are using EQ to compensate you may be exposing yourself to high-frequency levels that may further affect your hearing. I'm NOT an audiologist but I do think this is a concern, and at least you may want to talk to a professional about that. Beyond that the EQ in Amarra and Tidal works really well, with a good UI. I don't use it often as I have to deal with how the headphones sound out of the box and EQ can make you lazy about dealing with colorations... :)

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back