AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 15, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #4,592 of 5,483
Yes, I know, but it's close and I'm just saying it may not be enough for clean distortion free listening on dynamic passages. By the way, do you know how much Current the Onkyo outputs? That will be a huge factor in sound quality because the AEON has such low impedance and is a planar magnetic headphone. It's not just a matter of Power (P=Voltage*Current), but also the right kind of power delivery.

If you love the Onkyo then by all means give it a shot. Let us know how it sounds to you.

I haven't ordered anything yet. I can't try them at store before ordering.

I am searching for a Closed Back + DAP portable setup. My budget is $1500, 800 for AEON and up to 700 for a DAP.

What is your suggestion ? I want a neutral sound (seems like 90% of the products in the market are bass heavy and I don't want a one)

Nov 15, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #4,593 of 5,483
So should I buy a balanced cable ? I never used a one and I don't know if it really makes a difference in the sound.

I got a balanced cable for my AFO and aside from more distinct channel separation I hear no difference to the stock cable on my Aune S6, neither in volume nor sound quality.
Maybe it's just my ears, though.

Nov 15, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #4,594 of 5,483
I haven't ordered anything yet. I can't try them at store before ordering.

I am searching for a Closed Back + DAP portable setup. My budget is $1500, 800 for AEON and up to 700 for a DAP.

What is your suggestion ? I want a neutral sound (seems like 90% of the products in the market are bass heavy and I don't want a one)

I'd suggest the Mojo for sound quality within your budget, but it will need a source like your smartphone, or a cheap DAP, or the Poly, and is not as portable. For more portability you can look at DAPs like the iBasso DX150, or the FiiO X7ii. There's also the cheaper Astell & Kern DAPs as well as Shanling. I wouldn't recommend the FiiO X5iii as it's very warm sounding. Lots of choices out there if you look.

Please, understand that I'm not definitively saying the Onkyo is insufficient, but I just raised a potential flag regarding the output.

Nov 15, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #4,596 of 5,483
Where did you get it? What is the product name of the 2.5 mm headphone cable ?

I got it from Forza Audioworks, but I opted for a 4-pin XLR in place of a 2.5 mm jack, because I'm only using my cans at home.

Nov 15, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #4,597 of 5,483
Pretty much every 2.5mm TRRS came I've found is at least $200 which is ridiculous for a cable. I bought my AFC used on here and they came with a 4 pin XLR balanced connector and I just bought a 2.5mm TRRS to 4 pin XLR adapter on Amazon for $23. If I was buying myself I'd go that route again as the Periapt 4 pin XLR cable for these is relatively reasonable. https://periaptcables.com/products/10-type-10-dual-mr-speaker?variant=13627730067561

Nov 15, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #4,598 of 5,483
I'd suggest the Mojo for sound quality within your budget, but it will need a source like your smartphone, or a cheap DAP, or the Poly, and is not as portable. For more portability you can look at DAPs like the iBasso DX150, or the FiiO X7ii. There's also the cheaper Astell & Kern DAPs as well as Shanling. I wouldn't recommend the FiiO X5iii as it's very warm sounding. Lots of choices out there if you look.

Please, understand that I'm not definitively saying the Onkyo is insufficient, but I just raised a potential flag regarding the output.

After thinking a lot I abondoned Mojo, a smartphone - mojo - headphone circuit is much less portable than a dap -headphone.

There are a lot of DAPs in the upper price range, for $1200 , for $2500 etc. but
I got it from Forza Audioworks, but I opted for a 4-pin XLR in place of a 2.5 mm jack, because I'm only using my cans at home.

I found a 3.5 to 2.5 mm adapter, it is very cheap but it shouldn't be that simple :) Will it work ?

Nov 15, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #4,599 of 5,483
There are a lot of DAPs in the upper price range, for $1200 , for $2500 etc. but

Every one I mentioned is around your budget. Good luck with your search regardless.

Nov 16, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #4,600 of 5,483
Performance is not related to Loudness! It can sound loudly but with a poor performance.
The Aeon deserve a very good powerful source.
I was happy with my 1000 Euro 6 driver IEM until I tired Aeon. These are phenomenal detail retrieval and instrument separation beasts with a proper source!

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #4,601 of 5,483
After thinking a lot I abondoned Mojo, a smartphone - mojo - headphone circuit is much less portable than a dap -headphone.

I found a 3.5 to 2.5 mm adapter, it is very cheap but it shouldn't be that simple :) Will it work ?
No, unbalanced cannot be converted to balanced, for example, if the cable has 3.5/6.5mm jack, it cannot use a converter to 2.5mm/XLR to make it balanced. Balanced cables can be converted to single ended. For example, a cable terminated in 4pin XLR/ 2.5mm balance can be converted to 3.5mm/6.5mm single ended by using a converter

Nov 16, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #4,602 of 5,483
Every one I mentioned is around your budget. Good luck with your search regardless.

Oh couldn't complete the dentence.

There are a lot of DAPs in the upper price range, for $1200 , for $2500 etc. but I
No, unbalanced cannot be converted to balanced, for example, if the cable has 3.5/6.5mm jack, it cannot use a converter to 2.5mm/XLR to make it balanced. Balanced cables can be converted to single ended. For example, a cable terminated in 4pin XLR/ 2.5mm balance can be converted to 3.5mm/6.5mm single ended by using a converter

Hmm, things are more complex than I tought.

W

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-Balanced-Headphone-cable-connectors/dp/B073GQ1BYB

Is this what I need to connect AFC to the DAP's balanced 2.5mm input ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back