AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 13, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #4,576 of 5,483
The issue was the battery which was almost empty by that time and I could not get enough loudness with BL in Normal mode ), just tried it again with the full battery - can be painful
I was wrong - the reason was the iMatch ultra-sensitivity mode which I turned on ocasionally together with Normal mode))

Nov 15, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #4,580 of 5,483
I'm running them at around 1000 mW and I believe in "the more the better".
It is also stated in many reviews that Aeon need power to perform at their max potential.
So you can listen to them with the DAP keeping in mind that they can perform better with a serious amplification - these are planar-magnetic headphones)

Nov 15, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #4,581 of 5,483
In Onkyo's spec sheet, it shows its impedance 16-300 ohms unbalanced and 32-600 balanced. But AFC is 13 ohms, outside of the both ranges. Will this cause a problem ?

The impedance is not the whole story. One needs to look at the sensitivity of the headphone, which is the more telling specification for required power. The impedance will change the amount of Current vs Voltage drawn, but the sensitivity will show you how difficult the headphone actually is to drive. The AEON is 93dB SPL/mW so it requires more total power than many other headphones.

However, to check the ballpark of the power needed you can always use a headphone power calculator like the following (hint - the Onkyo likely won’t cut it for the AEON):

http://www.digizoid.com/headphones-power.html

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #4,582 of 5,483
The impedance is not the whole story. One needs to look at the sensitivity of the headphone, which is the more telling specification for required power. The impedance will change the amount of Current vs Voltage drawn, but the sensitivity will show you how difficult the headphone actually is to drive. The AEON is 93dB SPL/mW so it requires more total power than many other headphones.

However, to check the ballpark of the power needed you can always use a headphone power calculator like the following (hint - the Onkyo likely won’t cut it for the AEON):

Thanks

According to the calculation, it needs 6.47 mW for 100 dB(moderate) and 63.7 mW for 110 dB(loud).

Onkyo's power: 75+75 mW for unbalanced( I don't know if this means a sum of 150 or just 75) , 150+150 mW for balanced. Both of them are more than enough anyway.

AEON comes with both unbalanced and balanced cables and Onkyo has both inputs. I can use either one in the setup. So, balanced is better for the sound quality ?

Nov 15, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #4,583 of 5,483
Thanks

According to the calculation, it needs 6.47 mW for 100 dB(moderate) and 63.7 mW for 110 dB(loud).

Onkyo's power: 75+75 mW for unbalanced( I don't know if this means a sum of 150 or just 75) , 150+150 mW for balanced. Both of them are more than enough anyway.

AEON comes with both unbalanced and balanced cables and Onkyo has both inputs. I can use either one in the setup. So, balanced is better for the sound quality ?

Consider that those figures are for rms, so when listening to music I would look at those figures as a reference to peak levels instead. If you want to listen at an average level of 80-85dB, which is good, there may be some dynamic peaks at 100dB or more, depending on the music. I’m a big advocate for not wasting money on unused power specs, but I also recognize that there should be some headroom to avoid distortion. Depending on the design of the player you may run out of clean amplification sooner than the max spec which is why I’d go for something with a bit more than the Onkyo. Of course, YMMV.

Regarding balanced, often times the balanced output is more powerful than the single ended output (SE) and many people don’t accurately volume match when comparing. A louder signal typically sounds better to us humans, it’s how we are wired in the brain. When accurately volume matched the balanced output could sound better than SE but it all depends on the topology and implementation of the design.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #4,584 of 5,483
AEON comes with both unbalanced and balanced cables
Strange, when I bought my open AEON in April it came with an unbalanced cable only. Has something changed in the meantime and MrSpeakers started adding a balanced cable to the set?

Nov 15, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #4,586 of 5,483
I have the AFC and a new Astel & Kern se100. It drives them very well in single or balanced modes. The balanced outputs 4v and the AFC reaches very loud levels at 60% volume on the A&K. I believe the standard line would also power them nicely. The se100 is very detailed and neutral sounding. Also exceptional UI and beautiful to hold as well. But you do pay for it.

Nov 15, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #4,588 of 5,483

Thanks

According to the calculation, it needs 6.47 mW for 100 dB and 63.7 mW for 110 dB.

Onkyo's power: 75+75

Strange, when I bought my open AEON in April it came with an unbalanced cable only. Has something changed in the meantime and MrSpeakers started adding a balanced cable to the set?

Sorry, I read it wrong.

So should I buy a balanced cable ? I never used a one and I don't know if it really makes a difference in the sound.

Nov 15, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #4,589 of 5,483
Thanks

According to the calculation, it needs 6.47 mW for 100 dB and 63.7 mW for 110 dB.

Sorry, I read it wrong.

So should I buy a balanced cable ? I never used a one and I don't know if it really makes a difference in the sound.
I would try workout first, if you're happy without it why spend the money on one?

Nov 15, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #4,590 of 5,483
Thanks

Yes, I know, but it's close and I'm just saying it may not be enough for clean distortion free listening on dynamic passages. By the way, do you know how much Current the Onkyo outputs? That will be a huge factor in sound quality because the AEON has such low impedance and is a planar magnetic headphone. It's not just a matter of Power (P=Voltage*Current), but also the right kind of power delivery.

If you love the Onkyo then by all means give it a shot. Let us know how it sounds to you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back