AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 5, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #4,546 of 5,483
Well I've had these cans for 3 weeks now and I like the sound, but the comfort.......probably an issue with my non asymmetric shape of my head but the pads do leave much to be desired..they where good in the beginning (black felt in there) but I've been having pressure discomfort for the past weeks!

Have been massaging the pads to keep them as "plump" as the where when purchased, but there is a clear discomfort, something that I never felt with my hifiman 400i! Having said that, still a better sound with these, but while listen as long as I do (and I usually listen for 2-4 hours with my headphones) I can see the pads becoming an issue down the line!

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #4,547 of 5,483
When I had a Jot, I preferred it balanced with my main home headphones, Ether C Flows. I don't recall if I used the Jot with the AFCs, certainly not enough to remember (my AFCs are normally at work).

Oh fun! I will be getting a balanced cable for these ASAP. Will be fun to try to discern the differences!

Any major sonic differences that you can sort of put into words… That you have found between balanced and single ended coming from the Jot, into the a AFC’s? Or I guess you used the balanced more with Ether’s.. was the difference something like a spaciousness?

B

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #4,548 of 5,483
Well I've had these cans for 3 weeks now and I like the sound, but the comfort.......probably an issue with my non asymmetric shape of my head but the pads do leave much to be desired..they where good in the beginning (black felt in there) but I've been having pressure discomfort for the past weeks!

Have been massaging the pads to keep them as "plump" as the where when purchased, but there is a clear discomfort, something that I never felt with my hifiman 400i! Having said that, still a better sound with these, but while listen as long as I do (and I usually listen for 2-4 hours with my headphones) I can see the pads becoming an issue down the line!

~following~

No discomfort here yet, but I take off and on a bunch because I make jewelry and I’m up and down a bunch..

B

Nov 6, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #4,549 of 5,483
Oh fun! I will be getting a balanced cable for these ASAP. Will be fun to try to discern the differences!

Any major sonic differences that you can sort of put into words… That you have found between balanced and single ended coming from the Jot, into the a AFC’s? Or I guess you used the balanced more with Ether’s.. was the difference something like a spaciousness?
It's been quite a while... I'd say more instrument separation, somewhat less flat headstage, more body in lows and lower mids.

Nov 7, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #4,550 of 5,483
Just got a pair of these and really like them, but as I saw mentioned in Inner Fidelity the skidder for the band are a bit loose and they sidsl down some, he mentioned they could be tightened, I just want to make sure that all I have to do is tighten the screw on them that holds the leather strap as well and I should be good, don't want to break them.

Nov 7, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #4,551 of 5,483
Just got a pair of these and really like them, but as I saw mentioned in Inner Fidelity the skidder for the band are a bit loose and they sidsl down some, he mentioned they could be tightened, I just want to make sure that all I have to do is tighten the screw on them that holds the leather strap as well and I should be good, don't want to break them.

I was wondering too! My right side was more mobile, more loose than the left.. I gingerly tightened that Phillips head, and it seems to be a bit “stickier” like it should feel, and I hope that is how it’s supposed to adjust..

B

P.S. I’m totally still blown away by these, I compare with other of my cans, but it’s more about the unique planar thing that these do. I just love em!

Nov 8, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #4,552 of 5,483
I assume mrspeakers (Dan) is a bit busy to be chiming in to this thread all the time..

But.. (especially because until I finish holiday shopping for others) I probably can’t get a woo wa8 until after Christmas.. and I’ll spend a few weeks pining for the wa8...

I’d be grateful if possibly a few more wa8 owners who may also have AFC’s can chime in and share the way they feel about the synergy.

Thanks!

B

Nov 8, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #4,553 of 5,483

I was wondering too! My right side was more mobile, more loose than the left.. I gingerly tightened that Phillips head, and it seems to be a bit “stickier” like it should feel, and I hope that is how it’s supposed to adjust..

B

P.S. I’m totally still blown away by these, I compare with other of my cans, but it’s more about the unique planar thing that these do. I just love em!

Yup, you can tighten the screw with a typical philips screw driver. I’d tighten the screw a quarter turn at a time until it’s what you want.

Nov 8, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #4,554 of 5,483
Update from the guy who just got AFCs and had a question about a replacement cable and general feedback: I ended up purchasing a Corpse Cable, which sounds excellent and has zero microphones thanks to a rubber-like covering, and is reasonably priced compared to most alternatives.

As far as DSP stuff in JRMC goes, I've finally arrived at Parametric EQ settings that make most music sound fantastic to my ears. I've also added the CanOpener plug-in and highly recommend it as well. The "Effects" plug-in has an interesting option called "Surround Field" which helps some tracks, but hurts others.

Anyway, the headphones sound fantastic! Definitely an upgrade over my superb MrSpeakers Alpha Dog headphones, although those were great too (I'm not using them at home).

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #4,556 of 5,483
Why do you use the EQ, what's wrong with the AFC?

The AFC doesn't have a perfectly flat frequency response and everyone's ears (including mine) are different, so you should try EQ unless you prefer hearing certain frequencies louder than others.

Nov 8, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #4,557 of 5,483
Low highs (treble) issue?
If I take my "neutralized" 6 BA IEM, hi-hats sounded more distant in comparison but AFC were with white filters, so I believe that was the reason...no?

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #4,558 of 5,483
Yes, I tend to boost highs and lows a bit with the AFC (some of that is my hearing though...I've lost a bit of high frequency hearing over the years).

It would be interesting to hear what MrSpeakers says about EQ (software, hardware, or otherwise). It would be especially helpful if they posted an "official" frequency response graph for the headphones also, and/or some recommended EQ settings.

Nov 9, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #4,559 of 5,483
Yes, I tend to boost highs and lows a bit with the AFC (some of that is my hearing though...I've lost a bit of high frequency hearing over the years).

It would be interesting to hear what MrSpeakers says about EQ (software, hardware, or otherwise). It would be especially helpful if they posted an "official" frequency response graph for the headphones also, and/or some recommended EQ settings.

I tend to echo this with a couple of caveats… I don’t boost the highs in the AFCs, but what I find about these headphones is something remarkable when it comes to applying any equalization. Relative to some of my other headphones, I find that these headphones respond to equalization in a very very clean way that doesn’t impede enjoyment.… For instance, certainly sometimes (with some of my other headphones) using the bass boost on my IFI micro black label can simply overwhelm the balance of the music (or get a bit bloated or flubby, is flubby a word?!). With the Aeon closed headphones, personally I find myself switching on and off the X Bass frequently, just depending on the song… The reason I find for this is that I feel that the low frequency and ultra low frequency sub bass is always tangible and present (yes even without the eq additional lows), but with some genres I like to push it up just a little bit, and these headphones seem to really really love it. I also have extremely good luck with my schiit loki equalizer when I’m sitting at my desk top. I really love that Loki! Perfect for peeling off a bit or adding a bit very very non destructively.

For contrast, I’ll mention that in my experience, I’m not fond of all bass boost circuits. I feel that my oppo ha-2se pairs pretty nicely with the AFC’s , the oppo is clear and spacious and plenty powerful enough, while providing a flat beautifully articulated bass and sub bass... but the low boost feature on the oppo is way too focused on upper bass, and clogs the low mids and upper bass in my experience, and I just don’t bother with it

B

Nov 10, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #4,560 of 5,483
I'm with you guys

DSC_0834.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back