AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 30, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #4,531 of 5,483
Thanks. Good to know, it will save the battery of the micro.
I tried them in turbo and I liked that... So I will have a chance to discover them again with less power )

Yup, without turbo, maybe a touch more airy and I found that there is plenty of headroom, I find myself usually between listening as low as 10 o’clock on the volume knob but cranking as high as one to 2 o’clock when I’m really allowing myself to listen more loudly. And like I was saying before, the X bass bump is a very fun, yet very clean strengthening of the super extended low-end when I feel like I just want to enjoy that a bit more

Oct 30, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #4,532 of 5,483
Very cool! Ly 3 is on the short list!... although as you can see, the W8 is in my crosshairs for my first or I should say my next big kill, LOL
I have a couple of bad boys, and I have a black round plate VT 231 and a whole assortment of others that I play with while rolling around, I have to agree with you on those tall sylvanias

I’d be careful about buying the WA8 unless you can listen to it with the AFCs before committing. The specs I looked at suggest it can deliver a maximum of 85 mA current. With the AFCs that means a power output of around 90 mW. That should give you around 110 dB maximum and should be plenty, but in my experience the AFCs deliver better bass with around 150 mW

Oct 30, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #4,533 of 5,483
I’d be careful about buying the WA8 unless you can listen to it with the AFCs before committing. The specs I looked at suggest it can deliver a maximum of 85 mA current. With the AFCs that means a power output of around 90 mW. That should give you around 110 dB maximum and should be plenty, but in my experience the AFCs deliver better bass with around 150 mW

Oh goodness... well, this is a potential bummer... while I am certain that the WA8 would indeed work fine with most of my other headphones, right now the AFC are my favorite, I’m simply addicted to the incredible resolution and even handedness of them… I will mix your observations in the soup of my decision making. This is a big red flag if it’s true that wa8 would make the AFC’s anemic in any way ...

The funny thing is, and I have to continually give credit to this silly little amp, but the little bear b4 gives a taste of tube warmth. It also drives the AFC’s with room to spare. No loss of bass, whether I’m feeding it with the Oppo or the awesome iFi micro black label ... (the ifi is preferred so I have access to the xbass, the Oppo low boost is more flubby and mid bass oriented. Not really fair to call it flubby I guess, more or less it just can just the mid bass a little bit.

Anyways, I had hopes that the WA8 will be a beautiful tube addition, but it’s absolutely critical that it would play nice with the AFC’s.....

I’m hoping Mr Speakers might chime in at some point to offer his impressions of the pairing.

Oct 30, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #4,534 of 5,483
I own the WA8 and the AFC. GREAT synergy, IMHO. Definitely no shortage of power to drive the AFC properly!!

Oct 30, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #4,535 of 5,483
I own the WA8 and the AFC. GREAT synergy, IMHO. Definitely no shortage of power to drive the AFC properly!!

Ohhhh boy! It’s back in the radar!!

Really?? Where “on the dial” are you doing your most listening? Almost max? In the middle somewhere?

Have you tried it with another DAC feeding it, or primarily with the reputedly excellent internal DAC? ( obviously if I use my iFi in front, I can use the xbass boost feature)

Any shortage of the frequencies you like to hear?

THANKS for your input!

Barrett

Oct 30, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #4,536 of 5,483
Ohhhh boy! It’s back in the radar!!

Really?? Where “on the dial” are you doing your most listening? Almost max? In the middle somewhere?

Have you tried it with another DAC feeding it, or primarily with the reputedly excellent internal DAC? ( obviously if I use my iFi in front, I can use the xbass boost feature)

Any shortage of the frequencies you like to hear?

THANKS for your input!

Barrett
I do not remember where it is on the dial - have not listened to this combo for a while now... (but now I got the itch... :wink:)
I have only used it with the built-in DAC, and always on 3-tube mode (vs. 2-tube mode) which gives it more power and sounds better with every headphone I ever tried it with!
I love some extra bass, and didn't miss any with WA8 and AFC (without any EQ).

Oct 30, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #4,537 of 5,483
I do not remember where it is on the dial - have not listened to this combo for a while now... (but now I got the itch... :wink:)
I have only used it with the built-in DAC, and always on 3-tube mode (vs. 2-tube mode) which gives it more power and sounds better with every headphone I ever tried it with!
I love some extra bass, and didn't miss any with WA8 and AFC (without any EQ).

Oh that’s very excellent to hear! Well now that just sort of doubled my lust for the wa8! I can only imagine that the other favorites of mine, even though they are falling behind a bit, the x00, the HD 600, DT 1990, and the rest of them will probably sound different and exciting on that rig!!

I’m so glad to know that it does not diminish the bass. Using the micro bl alone, I tend to use the xbass perhaps 20% of the time… And usually it happens either with a specific genre, or just a specific song... definitely imagining those three little tubes glowing and all those warm tones hitting my head through the AFCs! oh brother, it’s time to crack the cookie jar! :beerchug:

B

Nov 2, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #4,539 of 5,483
I just replaced my Alpha Dog headphones with a pair of Aeon Flow Closed and am quite happy, but I have a question and some experience to share.

I use the AFCs in my work setup, which consists of a Schiit Lyr 3 w/ a Ken-Rad 6SN7GT VT-231, an Uptone Regen (plugged directly into the back of the Lyr 3 w/ a very short adapter), and a short Audioquest Carbon USB cable plugged into a Jitterbug on the PC side.

First, I'm a big believer in EQ, and I've found that the AFC benefits from it quite a bit. Generally, my approach is to find a good frequency response chart for the headphone and start from that. Then I'll listen a bit and begin tweaking it (for my ears...keep in mind everyone's ears are different, which is one of the reasons for EQ in the first place). I use J River Media Center w/ Parametric EQ (it is MUCH better than the standard Equalizer, btw). PM me and I can give you my Parametric EQ settings (yours will almost certainly be different since your ears are different than mine, but it might be a good starting point). JRMC has easy-to-use checkboxes for each effect, so it's easy to blind A/B your DSP settings with mouse clicks and closed eyes (for each frequency setting, or for the entire Parametric EQ setup).

Now the question: my AFCs came with the standard 5' cable, and I really don't like it (due to noise generated by the sleeve every time I move, and the cable is a bit short for my situation). Can someone recommend a replacement cable, around 10', that isn't ridiculously expensive (i.e. the cost of the AFCs or more)? I'm going to put an upper limit of $250 or so on the cost of the cable. Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #4,540 of 5,483
Now the question: my AFCs came with the standard 5' cable, and I really don't like it (due to noise generated by the sleeve every time I move, and the cable is a bit short for my situation. Can someone recommend a replacement cable, around 10', that isn't ridiculously expensive (i.e. the cost of the AFCs or more)? I'm going to put an upper limit of $250 or so on the cost of the cable. Thanks for any suggestions!

I use HP-1 from DH labs as they sell it in Bulk lengths here... https://silversonic.com/products/headphone-cables/ I made my own 20 Footer and love the cable....no microphonics in my set up at all...

Nov 2, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #4,541 of 5,483
I just replaced my AlphaDogs with Aeon Flow Closed and am quite happy, but I have a question and some experience to share.

I use the AFCs in my work setup, which consists of a Schiit Lyr 3 w/ a KEN-RAD 6SN7GT VT-231, an Uptone Regen (plugged directly into the back of the Lyr 3 w/ a very short adapter, and a short Audioquest Carbon USB cable plugged into a Jitterbug on the PC side).

First, I'm a big believer in EQ, and I've found that the AFC benefits from it quite a bit. Generally, my approach is to find a good frequency response chart for the headphone and start from that. Then I'll listen a bit and begin tweaking it (for my ears...keep in mind everyone's ears are different, which is one of the reasons for EQ in the first place). I use J River Media Center w/ Parametric EQ (it is MUCH better than the standard Equalizer, btw). PM me and I can give you my Parametric EQ settings (yours will almost certainly be different since your ears are different than mine, but it might be a good starting point). JRMC has easy-to-use checkboxes for each effect, so it's easy to blind A/B your DSP settings with mouse clicks and closed eyes (for each frequency setting, or for the entire Parametric EQ setup).

Now the question: my AFCs came with the standard 5' cable, and I really don't like it (due to noise generated by the sleeve every time I move, and the cable is a bit short for my situation. Can someone recommend a replacement cable, around 10', that isn't ridiculously expensive (i.e. the cost of the AFCs or more)? I'm going to put an upper limit of $250 or so on the cost of the cable. Thanks for any suggestions!

I picked up a 10 foot 4pin xlr balanced cable on ebay from venus audio for around $70. They also sell 1/4 inch terminated Aeon/Alpha Dog compatible cables. It seems to have less microphonics than the stock cable IMO (no cloth cover). At it's price point, it's a win! I also have one of their 4pin xlr balanced cables for my Cascades, which has a bit more microphonics due to the wrap on the cable (i think). I find it odd that the Aeon compatible cable has stayed the same price in the 6 months since I purchased the cable, while the Cascade/HD800s compatible cable I bought went up $20.

edit: on the ebay item pages for the seller, it states that they are away with no return eta... but it's a potential option for the future.

Nov 2, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #4,542 of 5,483
I purchased a cable from lqi cables. They have an eBay store and a website. Bought a 2.5 trrs for my Aeon and one for my Audeze. Both very nice. They have copper,silver, and combo available. My 8 foot copper cable with Utopia connects was $233 with shipping. I believe you can deduct $40 without the Utopia connectors.

Nov 3, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #4,543 of 5,483
I just replaced my Alpha Dog headphones with a pair of Aeon Flow Closed and am quite happy, but I have a question and some experience to share.

I use the AFCs in my work setup, which consists of a Schiit Lyr 3 w/ a Ken-Rad 6SN7GT VT-231, an Uptone Regen (plugged directly into the back of the Lyr 3 w/ a very short adapter), and a short Audioquest Carbon USB cable plugged into a Jitterbug on the PC side.

Now the question: my AFCs came with the standard 5' cable, and I really don't like it (due to noise generated by the sleeve every time I move, and the cable is a bit short for my situation). Can someone recommend a replacement cable, around 10', that isn't ridiculously expensive (i.e. the cost of the AFCs or more)? I'm going to put an upper limit of $250 or so on the cost of the cable. Thanks for any suggestions!

I ordered mine from Oidio: https://oidiosound.co.uk/headphone-cables/mrspeakers.html

Nov 4, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #4,545 of 5,483
....Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I still have not tried out the balanced side of my Jotunheim with either the AFC, or my HD 600s… Please feel free to chime in, especially if someone thinks that using these balanced will be a fun and different experience
When I had a Jot, I preferred it balanced with my main home headphones, Ether C Flows. I don't recall if I used the Jot with the AFCs, certainly not enough to remember (my AFCs are normally at work).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back