AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 30, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #31 of 5,483
Been eyeing the Ether C, then out of nowhere comes this Aeon.

It will be really tough to resist a purchase.

Looks like they will be debuting a new bendy head stand as well?

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #32 of 5,483
I've been waiting two years... TWO YEARS... to talk about this!  I'm still not used to the new name - as I've known it by it's code-name.

Quote:
  With the way the carbon fiber is inset, looks like could quite possibly be an open version too.  

No comment.  
tongue.gif

Everything about this is reminding me of Audeze's launch of the EL-8

I think the main difference is that these sound better.  
wink.gif

Any popular headphones that they sound similar to?

So far, it reminds me of the original ETHER C... still burning in and still listening though.  
smile.gif
  @Stillhart and @MattTCG, what are your thoughts so far?

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #33 of 5,483
@warrenpchi I think that I really like it! 
biggrin.gif
  Closed headphones are just a difficult endeavor and it's so difficult to get the tone to sound natural. Aeon does these things very well. It sounds very open and I hear no weird closed cup resonances. 

I love the tuning. While it has a Mr. Speakers house sound, the Aeon is more accessible and friendlier. Bass is more present with a warmer overall signature. The elongnated cups gives the stage good legs especially along the y axis. 

The build quality is exceptional. There is only one pivot point on the entire headphone with the Nitonal band acting as a hinge up top. The durability should be among the very best with very little potential for problems with the mechanics of the headphone itself. 

Aeon sounds good from my HTC One and better from a Dragonfly Red and better still from a desktop amp. It scales up nicely as you feed it a better amp. I can see people enjoy this at work or on the go and then appreciate the improvement at home when plugged into a more serious desktop amp. 

Low level detail is good even at soft volume levels but this headphone seems to really open up and shine at a medium volume level. While the ETHER flagships still reign king for resolution and transparency, the Aeon comes across to me as more accessible and just plain fun to cue up music with. Great headphone, great price. This one may do pretty well I think. 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #35 of 5,483
The Ether series has been really disappointing I'm hoping this one will be good. Tylls measurements look good even the square waves like closer to a dynamic than a planar so I'm pretty excited. Ugly headphone though lol

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #38 of 5,483
Subbed, looking for a clear, detailed, full bodied and still musical sounding headphone between 700-1300 USD price range. I haven´t heard any Mr Speakers headphone yet but its a well regarded brand with very good reviews on the Ether C and Ether C Flow, please share some AEON reviews!

EDIT: Or first impressions maybe?
L3000.gif

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #43 of 5,483
That's probably what I'll end up using them for.

I use my PC for a TON of stuff (everything from music to movies to editing stuff to thesis writing) but love to game on it when I have the time.  Since I'm stuck with using closed back on it, my options have been a little limited when it comes to upgrading my a900xs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back