AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 12, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #3,871 of 5,483
Thank you for replying. Have you or others reading these posts compared isolation of Oppo PM-3 to Aeon C? From what I gather, Aeon C sound quality is considered a step above PM-3's, then again it costs hundreds more. Think the PM-3 is overdue for an update, but suppose if sales hold, Oppo will not spend the resources to do so.

Basically, yes. The Oppo has a darker signature, though still relatively neutral, due to its lack of treble extension. It also has a peak around 2k that I found very troubling and EQing that out made them darker still. Don't get me wrong, I loved them. However, the AEON C outclasses them in nearly every way, even build quality, comfort, and neutrality, which are the greatest qualities of the PM3. The PM3 is still more portable and easier to drive. I sold my Oppos because I just couldn't see a point in owning them alongside the AEONs.

Regarding isolation specifically, the Oppos are great, the AEONs are even better. And, the AEONs are easier to seal over glasses, which is huge for me personally.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #3,873 of 5,483
I grew up in AZ, and I love both Mexican and New Mexican food, so you're good. Living out here, I miss pico de gallo, but I would never give up the chile.

Regarding the MrSpeakers, I like the AEONs better than the Ether C, but mostly for tonality. The closed AEONs are amazingly neutral to my ears, and I didn't get that from the Ethers. Which means, the AEONs may not scratch that same itch. Great cans though. Like green chile, they go with everything.

See, I worked in the food stuff, so not OT at all. :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #3,874 of 5,483
Thank you for replying. Have you or others reading these posts compared isolation of Oppo PM-3 to Aeon C? From what I gather, Aeon C sound quality is considered a step above PM-3's, then again it costs hundreds more. Think the PM-3 is overdue for an update, but suppose if sales hold, Oppo will not spend the resources to do so.

I'm actually on the same boat as you just a month ago (A/B-ing PM-3 and Aeon Flow Closed/AFC before buying) for isolation and comfort, the AFC won hands down. IMO on most tracks the Aeon can go down lower/deeper and have faster response in almost anything. The PM-3 won in styling and portability though and way easier to drive so better value if you don't want to spend $$ on DAC/amp

Highly suggest you A/B the PM-3 and AFC when possible though.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #3,875 of 5,483
These are incredible. At first, I was a little disappointed. But after hours of listening, these are frankly fantastic.
I wanna showcase them to my friends, what are the songs where these headphones truly shines ? I wanna impress my friend who are not audiophiles like me. Thought about "Time" by Pink Floyd, but what else ?!

Jan 13, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #3,876 of 5,483
These are incredible. At first, I was a little disappointed. But after hours of listening, these are frankly fantastic.
I wanna showcase them to my friends, what are the songs where these headphones truly shines ? I wanna impress my friend who are not audiophiles like me. Thought about "Time" by Pink Floyd, but what else ?!
Tell your friends to play their favorite songs. The headphone shines in everything.

Jan 17, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #3,877 of 5,483
Hi all

I've had my Aeon Cs since early June (I pre-ordered), and I was wondering if anyone else is finding them uncomfortable after a while? I usually wear headphones for several hours a day while working and have done so for almost 20 years, and while these are definitely the best-sounding cans I've owned, I'm finding the clamping force to be quite painful after a while (an hour or so). I don't have an unusual head shape though that's subjective, of course. Anyone else experiencing anything like this? They're amazing and I really don't want to have to go back to my AKG K550s.

Jan 17, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #3,878 of 5,483
Hi all

I've had my Aeon Cs since early June (I pre-ordered), and I was wondering if anyone else is finding them uncomfortable after a while? I usually wear headphones for several hours a day while working and have done so for almost 20 years, and while these are definitely the best-sounding cans I've owned, I'm finding the clamping force to be quite painful after a while (an hour or so). I don't have an unusual head shape though that's subjective, of course. Anyone else experiencing anything like this? They're amazing and I really don't want to have to go back to my AKG K550s.

That is not really a common complaint. Most people seem to find them comfortable. Personally, I think they are the most comfortable headphones I've worn. I do have a high tolerance for headphone discomfort though. I can wear Audeze SINEs for nearly 20 minutes.

Are your ears touching the edges of the pads or the flat interior surface? Is it a skin rubbing issue (I find velour pads irritate my stubble)? Or, is it just blunt pressure becoming annoying?

Since there is not a way to adjust the headband, what with the Nitinol wire, and no way to pad-roll to something thinner, it may just be down to adjusting the sliders. Which I'm sure you've tried already.

Jan 18, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #3,880 of 5,483
Hi all

Same here. Maybe my head is bigger than average?

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #3,881 of 5,483
How do these compare with the Audeze Sine?

By comparison, the SINEs are more n-shaped, with less bass extension and less treble extension, more focus on the mid-range. Essentially, the Audeze house sound of middy lushness, deep textured bass, and polite treble, but with less finesse than something like an LCD-2. Very good resolution and separation. Better soundstage and imaging than one would expect, but still not great (another common Audeze feature). They do sound pretty amazing. I mean, no one's buying them for the comfort factor.

The AEON C are much, much more neutral. Deeper extension in the bass and better linearity, but less quantity. Mids might be less present (it's close), but they are smooth and even with better resolution, better soundstage, better imaging, and a more expansive sound. The AEONs are much better in the treble and have more treble. The SINEs have a couple of moderate spikes in treble, the AEONs do not. The AEONs seem a bit brighter overall at first, but I think it is really just more extension, the more neutral bass, and the better clarity and speed that makes them seem so.

In comfort, the SINEs are notoriously uncomfortable, while the AEONs are for me and (despite the recent posts) most people exceptionally comfortable. Degrees of comfort will vary, but anyone who says the SINE is more comfortable than the AEONs is probably trying to sell you a bridge.

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #3,882 of 5,483
Hi all

No promise, but try Rosing the pressure on the headband, many people snug the headphone up too much which increases clamp. It's designed to barely rest on your head when tensioned correctly.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 18, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #3,883 of 5,483
By comparison, the SINEs are more n-shaped, with less bass extension and less treble extension, more focus on the mid-range. Essentially, the Audeze house sound of middy lushness, deep textured bass, and polite treble, but with less finesse than something like an LCD-2. Very good resolution and separation. Better soundstage and imaging than one would expect, but still not great (another common Audeze feature). They do sound pretty amazing. I mean, no one's buying them for the comfort factor.

The AEON C are much, much more neutral. Deeper extension in the bass and better linearity, but less quantity. Mids might be less present (it's close), but they are smooth and even with better resolution, better soundstage, better imaging, and a more expansive sound. The AEONs are much better in the treble and have more treble. The SINEs have a couple of moderate spikes in treble, the AEONs do not. The AEONs seem a bit brighter overall at first, but I think it is really just more extension, the more neutral bass, and the better clarity and speed that makes them seem so.

In comfort, the SINEs are notoriously uncomfortable, while the AEONs are for me and (despite the recent posts) most people exceptionally comfortable. Degrees of comfort will vary, but anyone who says the SINE is more comfortable than the AEONs is probably trying to sell you a bridge.
Thank you. Very informative. I like the Sine, I think it has great slam and impact, but I always thought it lacked refinement and wasn't as airy and subby as I would like.
I own the T5p gen 2, would the Aeons be somewhat of a sidegrade?

Jan 18, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #3,884 of 5,483
Thank you. Very informative. I like the Sine, I think it has great slam and impact, but I always thought it lacked refinement and wasn't as airy and subby as I would like.
I own the T5p gen 2, would the Aeons be somewhat of a sidegrade?

I haven't heard the T5p unfortunately, so I can't comment there. But, I can comment on the SINE. I own both the SINEs and the AEONs, and I listen to both frequently. But, the AEONs are just better overall and have none of the flaws of the SINEs. In fact, I can't say I find any flaw with their sound. There are headphones that do one particular aspect better, but no headphone I've heard is a better all-rounder. So, in that sense, they would certainly be an upgrade. On the other hand, they are different enough in the sound signature for me to keep both in my rotation. So, sidegrade then? I guess it's hard for me to decide.

A clear upgrade in my mind was the AEONs over the Oppo PM3. Everything the PM3 tried to do, and they did do it well, the AEONs did better. And since they both seemed to aim for the same neutral sort of signature, it came down to great sound/great comfort/great style with a few real detriments to amazing sound/amazing comfort/great style with no flaws. It made it very hard to keep listening to the PM3, and eventually I sold them. The AEONs superiority over the SINE in sound is a little more dependent on what kind of sound you like.

Jan 19, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #3,885 of 5,483
I have a pair of Elears and some T90s, both of which I like for different music. I want to try a planar headphone next, and would also like something closed so I can use in public. I also have Campfirw Andromedas (which I adore) for public but sometimes I want something ... bigger? I’ve heard good things about the AFC.

My question is if the AFC works as a good compliment to the other headphones I have? I’m new to the audiophile world and I’d like to put significant time into listening to different types of headphones. Right now it’s a toss up between going Planar with the AFC, or going for huge soundstage with something like the HD800s, which would also be a different sound from what I have right now.

I am leaning towards Mr Speakers, partly because I much prefer the idea of supporting people deeply involved in the community, but wonder if it’s different enough from the Elears and Andros?

(Forgot to add: I have a few desktop amp/dacs at home but primarily use a Mojo, or drive directly from Todal on an iPhone6 for the andros)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back