AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 10, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #3,858 of 5,483
Been using these with the Black Label, and the depth is just shallow at best. Fiddling with my equalizer apo trying to bring out the depth of the bass, and I just can't figure out how to do it.

Is this normal? I almost want to believe it's just a quirk of the planar magnetic as it feels like the sound being delivered from the higher frequency is on the same level as anything from the bass, where as with the dynamic headphones there's a definitive difference between the slower low end and the faster high end.

Just so we're clear, it's not a lack of 'punch' that has been talked about already in this thread, but the lack of depth. If I had to try and describe it, it's like the sound is pushed up against a vertical plane and flattened out. Particularly noticeable in the same song I've been linking as reference, there's a ton of bass that fluctuates throughout this, but with the AFC I'm just getting a fairly flat bump for most of it, only through fiddling with the equalizer apo specifically for this song (which causes a detriment to the higher frequency ranges mind you, including those in the song,) and straining to listen for it in a dead quiet environment does the bass hint at what it should sound like.

I otherwise adore these things, since everything else sounds rich and fantastic. Like the sound is quick to turn around from thing to thing, but bass is just... flat.

My gym use Bose Soundsport ( 150$ wireless earbuds ) manages the bass effortlessly, the rest of the song doesn't sound as good, but it has the entire bass range. Just comparing the two for now, again the rest of the song is noticeably worse, but the bass is leaps and bounds more rich and detailed. There's a slight annoying metallic ring/jangle at the peak of each 'bass hit' (I'm not versed in whatever the actual terms for all this is, forgive me.) but it's definitely detailed / deep.

Comparing to a pair of dt 1350s ( 200$ on ear) through the same black label, for one I have to tone down the edits I was doing for the afc, two, the bass depth is better than that of the soundsport's and without the metallic jangling at the bass peaks. again, the rest of the song, better than the soundsports, but doesn't hold much of a candle to the afc. On the flip side, the afc isn't holding a candle to the bass response.

How do I replicate the bass of the dt 1350's in the AFC?

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #3,859 of 5,483
Can anyone comment on how the bass on these would be compared to the VModa M-100? I am a bass head and looking for a new headphone to use. I love the deeper bass of the VModa. Thanks

Jan 10, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #3,860 of 5,483
That's great news! Can you tell us the store's name?

Not just yet, it's a high-end shop. Have to get their contract and order in place.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 10, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #3,861 of 5,483
Been using these with the Black Label, and the depth is just shallow at best. Fiddling with my equalizer apo trying to bring out the depth of the bass, and I just can't figure out how to do it.

Is this normal? I almost want to believe it's just a quirk of the planar magnetic as it feels like the sound being delivered from the higher frequency is on the same level as anything from the bass, where as with the dynamic headphones there's a definitive difference between the slower low end and the faster high end.

I'm not sure what you mean by "flat." Typically this would be used to describe soundstage, but I think you're more focused on bass delivery?

Our headphones are typically designed for a response that is acoustically fairly flat. I don't know the 1350 but my first two thoughts are either that this is a can that emphasizes bass (certainly the Bose are), or second that you don't have a good seal.

It's easy to assess the seal, just turn off music and rub your finger tips together while circling the headphone. If you can hear the rubbing you have a bad seal (possible with glasses, thick curly hair, etc). If so, we can help just let us know what you find.

If it's not the seal, it may be what you are used to, and your best bet would just be to stop switching back and forth and abandon EQ for a while. You could just use the Black Label's preset bass boost if that's how you prefer music. Give yourself some time, both to get used to the sound and to let the headphone burn in.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jan 10, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #3,862 of 5,483
it may be what you are used to, and your best bet would just be to stop switching back and forth and abandon EQ for a while. You could just use the Black Label's preset bass boost if that's how you prefer music.

as I mentioned, I'm obviously not versed in whatever the terms commonly used are, but what I have a problem with isn't so much a matter of taste rather than a delivery of something different than what it could/should be. I would attribute what I mean is to something like the textured surface of something, where flat would be less and less texture and vice versa. To illustrate as you pass over the surface the tones would be rising and falling kinda like how vinyl records work.The magnitude of difference being, particularly in the reference song, the imperceptibility of the AFC as I have it at default is such that this proverbial surface responsible for bass might be quite the flat and polished surface, the other surfaces of the song are quite textured for the afc, but the bass is not. The far cheaper DT1350's have the opposite problem, but the difference isn't as pronounced as that with the AFC.

The main problem I'm having with all this is going back to the reference song and the proverbial surfaces, where the piece has a fairly textured bass surface, the AFC renders it as being smooth and without detail.
From what little I've been able to learn about planar magnetic vs dynamic, lack of detail shouldn't exactly be a problem for planar magnetic, but again I don't know much.

That's how I ended up here asking if it's normal to be missing bass detail. (Before the amp, the bass just didn't exist, I had hoped all my problems would go away with the addition of an AMP, but now I have a bass presence, but again, it's not detailed. it's as I've been calling it "flat".

I've been playing with various positions too, trying to just see if there was any given headphone position that was better than another. I did find a spot more optimal than what I was using, as far as headphone seal goes, it's fairly well sealed per your suggestion of running a finger around it.

I threw the foam pads in, the bit of extra material to pass through seems like it's just so I can put more power through them comfortably with something along the science of longer / slower waves traveling farther / penetrating better so you get a better bass response? Just a shot in the dark based on what I noticed, but I'm all ears for why the pads are actually better.

I'm NOT trying to come across as hyper critical of the product, I just have a goal and am curious of how to reach the goal. I'm beyond happy with how well everything sounds compared to everything else I've used, sans bass, and I would just be peachy if I could figure out how to make it work. (I recall reading somewhere you started by modding headphones yourself... so maybe you could appreciate what I'm after here. I figure step one is talk to the guy who hand crafts the things and still manages to be down to earth to talk with his customers, see if the guy could offer some insight, point out complexity of what I'm asking or even simplicity if it's a matter simply solved.)

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #3,863 of 5,483
Dynamic and planar headphones do indeed have different bass characteristics. Generally dynamic have higher THD and roll off earlier; I don't know the 1350 at all so I'm not directly qualified to answer your question in this regard, and I didn't find reputable measurements that can be trusted, so I'll simply leave the early reply as-is with one addition... If the 1350 does have higher THD, often the harmonics can be easier to hear than the fundamental, especially at lower volumes. This relates to the Fletcher-Munson effect, which essentially shows we're less sensitive to lower bass notes than to the harmonics, especially at lower levels. If nobody else has a direct comment here, it is entirely possible you're hearing more THD as "detail," but I could be totally wrong on this point.

Jan 10, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #3,864 of 5,483
Can anyone comment on how the bass on these would be compared to the VModa M-100? I am a bass head and looking for a new headphone to use. I love the deeper bass of the VModa. Thanks
Based on your preference I believe the Aeon will sound somewhat thin- for more bassy full size closed headphone I would check the fostex based line such as the Th-x00, E-mu teak or for the ZMF line of headphones like the Atticus-

Jan 11, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #3,865 of 5,483
Not just yet, it's a high-end shop. Have to get their contract and order in place.

Sorry for the double Q (sent you an email but no reply) but I got mine off a retail shop in Indonesia called AnalogHead - is that true there are somekind of dealer here? or was it just sales speak tricking me? also is the Micro iDSD any good at driving this thing?

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #3,866 of 5,483
Hey guys, just received my Aeon Flow !
My question will seem stupid, but how do I insert the foam pads ? Directly in the hole for the ears ? Is that normal that I can feel it when I put the headphones on ?
Review incoming when I figure it out :)

Jan 11, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #3,867 of 5,483
Head-fi'er opinions please. Aeon C vs Nightowl Carbon. Which headphone isolates from outside sounds best? Which best with Chord Mojo? Lastly, fit on smaller heads, seal with larger ears?

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #3,868 of 5,483
Hey guys, just received my Aeon Flow !
My question will seem stupid, but how do I insert the foam pads ? Directly in the hole for the ears ? Is that normal that I can feel it when I put the headphones on ?
Review incoming when I figure it out :)

Yes. The white pads are pre-installed, just pluck them out and swap.

Jan 12, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #3,869 of 5,483
Head-fi'er opinions please. Aeon C vs Nightowl Carbon. Which headphone isolates from outside sounds best? Which best with Chord Mojo? Lastly, fit on smaller heads, seal with larger ears?
Aeon isolates better, nightowl leaks more sound. Aeon pads bigger and deeper, nightowl more shallow and less pressure.

Jan 12, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #3,870 of 5,483
Aeon isolates better, nightowl leaks more sound. Aeon pads bigger and deeper, nightowl more shallow and less pressure.

Thank you for replying. Have you or others reading these posts compared isolation of Oppo PM-3 to Aeon C? From what I gather, Aeon C sound quality is considered a step above PM-3's, then again it costs hundreds more. Think the PM-3 is overdue for an update, but suppose if sales hold, Oppo will not spend the resources to do so.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back