AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 19, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #3,886 of 5,483
I have a pair of Elears and some T90s, both of which I like for different music. I want to try a planar headphone next, and would also like something closed so I can use in public. I also have Campfirw Andromedas (which I adore) for public but sometimes I want something ... bigger? I’ve heard good things about the AFC.

My question is if the AFC works as a good compliment to the other headphones I have? I’m new to the audiophile world and I’d like to put significant time into listening to different types of headphones. Right now it’s a toss up between going Planar with the AFC, or going for huge soundstage with something like the HD800s, which would also be a different sound from what I have right now.

I am leaning towards Mr Speakers, partly because I much prefer the idea of supporting people deeply involved in the community, but wonder if it’s different enough from the Elears and Andros?

(Forgot to add: I have a few desktop amp/dacs at home but primarily use a Mojo, or drive directly from Todal on an iPhone6 for the andros)
I have the Elear, Andro, and AFC, as well as a Vega and others, so I’ll give you my view. The AFC is the headphone equivalent to the Andro, and is one level better in every way. I use my Andro when out and about but at home the Aeon is chosen over it every time.

Jan 19, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #3,887 of 5,483
Awesome, that’s music to me ears :D

(Oh and I’m so tempted by the Vegas too - how do they fit into your listening?)

(Edit again: your headphone list reads like what I’m aiming for ... my TH-X00s arrive this week, got the Purple Hearts, and I have been thinking about Atticus and Nighthawks for a while. Throw in the Meze classic and that’s basically al the cans I’m looking at ahah)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #3,889 of 5,483
Just circling back on this. Did that South Florida dealer place their order? Eager to test the AFC against my EL8C, then make a decision. Thanks.

Not yet. I've met glaciers that work faster.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 20, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #3,892 of 5,483
Curious if there’s official distributors in China (Beijing)? I can grab from an online seller here otherwise.

Indeed there is, check our store locator for the distributor contact information.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jan 21, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #3,893 of 5,483
Indeed there is, check our store locator for the distributor contact information.
That you, I found the page. HK and Guangdong, both a little far to audition (2000miles) but postage from HK is usually fast :)

Just as a note, I couldn’t find the store locator link within your website. I had to go back to google and search MrSpeakers Store Locator. I’m viewing on mobile.

Jan 21, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #3,894 of 5,483
That you, I found the page. HK and Guangdong, both a little far to audition (2000miles) but postage from HK is usually fast :)

Just as a note, I couldn’t find the store locator link within your website. I had to go back to google and search MrSpeakers Store Locator. I’m viewing on mobile.

Thanks for the feedback, we'll improve that.

Jan 21, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #3,895 of 5,483
I have the Elear, Andro, and AFC, as well as a Vega and others, so I’ll give you my view. The AFC is the headphone equivalent to the Andro, and is one level better in every way. I use my Andro when out and about but at home the Aeon is chosen over it every time.

I disagree. I also have the Campfire Andromeda with the upgraded Reference 8 cable and I wouldn’t say the AFC is at a higher level.

The Andromeda is better in transparency and details but the AFC is more coherent and better soundstage but at the cost of lower fidelity. Also the Andromeda with the Reference 8 cable delivers a satisfying bass. This is based on the Poly + Mojo and ofcourse might be different on an other setup.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #3,896 of 5,483
I disagree. I also have the Campfire Andromeda with the upgraded Reference 8 cable and I wouldn’t say the AFC is at a higher level.

The Andromeda is better in transparency and details but the AFC is more coherent and better soundstage but at the cost of lower fidelity. Also the Andromeda with the Reference 8 cable delivers a satisfying bass. This is based on the Poly + Mojo and ofcourse might be different on an other setup.
I’m using the iDSD micro black label for both. To my ears they are both excellent at not accentuating any part of the music, everything is well balanced, with an exception of the bass being dependent on the oi of source for the Andro. With xbass enabled in the micro for the Aeon and using ultra low sensitivity for the Andro both put out a good clean elevated bass.

I’ve not noticed any details missing between the two, and the Aeon takes the Andro sound and makes you even more immersed in it.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #3,897 of 5,483
I’m using the iDSD micro black label for both. To my ears they are both excellent at not accentuating any part of the music, everything is well balanced, with an exception of the bass being dependent on the oi of source for the Andro. With xbass enabled in the micro for the Aeon and using ultra low sensitivity for the Andro both put out a good clean elevated bass.

I’ve not noticed any details missing between the two, and the Aeon takes the Andro sound and makes you even more immersed in it.

Could be. The Campfire Andromeda is the most source sensitive headphone / IEM I have ever experienced. Even the cables has a significant impact. So i am not surprised about your results on the iFi black label.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #3,898 of 5,483
I'm looking for a closed back that will give me something none of my other closed backs (including the Beyer t5p gen 2) give me. That is a refined airy top end. Does the AFC have this?

Jan 22, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #3,899 of 5,483
... a refined airy top end. Does the AFC have this?

I'd suggest that treble quality has at least as much to do with the DAC as the headphone - possibly more.

Paired with a DAC that treats treble correctly they are fine. Mostly smooth and reasonably detailed. Not the sparkle of a HD800S/HEKv2, but what would you expect? It's a closed can that costs a lot less than either of these.

Jan 22, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #3,900 of 5,483

Or the iDSD micro black label could be a simply better match for AFC than Mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back