AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 25, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #3,901 of 5,483
Got my AFC in yesterday! I've let them burn-in overnight with 30 minutes of pink noise and 4x Lindsey Sterling's Crystallize at 50% of my R2R-11's knob on repeat. Had them on to quickly test before hand, bass was definitely anemic and missing that response you'd find on closed headphones and the detail was a bit messy at first. Got home today after they've been on burning in for the last 15 hours and gotta say, bass is definitely more responsive now and I'm wow'd by the details in mids and highs, much better separation and airiness.

When people compare them to the HD650, they weren't wrong saying its like a super version of it but without the veil. These aren't on my Eikon's level and have a different presentation compared to the LCD-2Cs but as a portable study setup for the near future, I'd say these are a ****ing great pair of headphones.

Jan 26, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #3,902 of 5,483
I’m very new to higher end headphones. I recently purchased the Jotunheim + built in DAC and HDxx. I really like the sound of these but would like a similar sounding closed headphone (I seem to prefer more neutral vs V shaped I think). The Aeons seem to fit that but I’m concerned when I see some descriptions that they sound too flat or not very musical.

I listen primarily to EDM, metal, and classical. I found the bass on the HDxx to be mostly sufficient but a bit weak compared to my MDR-1000x and ATH-m50x. Is the bass on the too weak for electronic music?

I’m thinking maybe I need a different headphone for bass heavy music such as a TH-610 (really probably can’t swing getting both the Aeon and TH900-mkII all at once).

I’m looking for closed headphones as my home/work environment can be pretty loud and I’m also trying to limit sound leak, but would like to get the best sound possible.

Jan 26, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #3,903 of 5,483
I’m very new to higher end headphones. I recently purchased the Jotunheim + built in DAC and HDxx. I really like the sound of these but would like a similar sounding closed headphone (I seem to prefer more neutral vs V shaped I think). The Aeons seem to fit that but I’m concerned when I see some descriptions that they sound too flat or not very musical.

I listen primarily to EDM, metal, and classical. I found the bass on the HDxx to be mostly sufficient but a bit weak compared to my MDR-1000x and ATH-m50x. Is the bass on the too weak for electronic music?

I’m thinking maybe I need a different headphone for bass heavy music such as a TH-610 (really probably can’t swing getting both the Aeon and TH900-mkII all at once).

I’m looking for closed headphones as my home/work environment can be pretty loud and I’m also trying to limit sound leak, but would like to get the best sound possible.

My understanding is that the TH-610 is also very neutral. It might be better to look elsewhere in the Fostex line, maybe a TH-X00 variant, for a real bassy headphone.

The AEON is neutral and its frequency response flat, but that doesn't mean that it sounds dull or lifeless. Really, it just means the bass, mids, and treble are nicely balanced without one aspect of the sound standing out above the others. The bass, then, will not be elevated. But, it is very good quality. Lots of texture and depth to it, very tight and responsive, and it has great impact for a neutral planar. It will not out-thump an M50X, most likely, but it will have much better quality bass, much better bass extension, and, perhaps most importantly for you, will respond to EQ with far less distortion. Planar bass can be a sort of acquired taste. In general, it is less impactful, less physical, but much more detailed. So, it depends a bit on what experience you're looking for. The AEONs won't sound weak in the bass, just different than a dynamic driver.

Jan 26, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #3,905 of 5,483
My understanding is that the TH-610 is also very neutral. It might be better to look elsewhere in the Fostex line, maybe a TH-X00 variant, for a real bassy headphone.

The AEON is neutral and its frequency response flat, but that doesn't mean that it sounds dull or lifeless. Really, it just means the bass, mids, and treble are nicely balanced without one aspect of the sound standing out above the others. The bass, then, will not be elevated. But, it is very good quality. Lots of texture and depth to it, very tight and responsive, and it has great impact for a neutral planar. It will not out-thump an M50X, most likely, but it will have much better quality bass, much better bass extension, and, perhaps most importantly for you, will respond to EQ with far less distortion. Planar bass can be a sort of acquired taste. In general, it is less impactful, less physical, but much more detailed. So, it depends a bit on what experience you're looking for. The AEONs won't sound weak in the bass, just different than a dynamic driver.

Thanks for the detailed reply. It sounds like the Aeon would be a good choice for me.

Jan 27, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #3,907 of 5,483
If you are looking for a bass heavy headphone the fostex th-x00 is a killer deal. I have a pair and love them for EDM. But as an all round headphone the Aeon is in another class. For just EDM-Fostex, for variety of music Aeon. Also the Aeon leak less sound than the Fostex. Although if your more than two feet away either would be fine as far as sound leakage. Or do like me and buy both.:dt880smile:

Jan 28, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #3,908 of 5,483
If you are looking for a bass heavy headphone the fostex th-x00 is a killer deal. I have a pair and love them for EDM. But as an all round headphone the Aeon is in another class. For just EDM-Fostex, for variety of music Aeon. Also the Aeon leak less sound than the Fostex. Although if your more than two feet away either would be fine as far as sound leakage. Or do like me and buy both.:dt880smile:

Thanks for the information. I considered the the x00s but I’d want a removable cable. I see there was a third party outfit doing cable mods.

Maybe the E-Mu teaks will have another drop.

I like the idea of having a separate bass heavy headphone and the Aeon as an all-arounder.

Jan 29, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #3,910 of 5,483
Thanks. I definitely want to go but unfortunately I have to work that weekend. Maybe next year.
awe thats too bad. Its a heck of a fun time! Other then hearing new gear and hanging with my friends I am also excited to get some killer pizza. :L3000:

By the way- i'll make sure to say hi @mrspeakers!

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #3,911 of 5,483
Thanks. I definitely want to go but unfortunately I have to work that weekend. Maybe next year.
Or find a local dealer (cough cough) who might bring the Aeon to you for an audition!

Jan 30, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #3,912 of 5,483
need some help&advice
currently using HUGO2+AEONc for office and home, the set had been burn in over 200+hrs
but i still felt aeon could get better, so i am considering getting an portable amplifier. (SASSY GT OR SASSY II)
i heard that aeon as a planner headphone demands power to drive properly. SASSY II could provide 2W at 32ohm, is that enough for aeon or it needs more?
is there any amplifier could enhance HUGO2’s performance?
thank you!

Jan 30, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #3,913 of 5,483
need some help&advice
currently using HUGO2+AEONc for office and home, the set had been burn in over 200+hrs
but i still felt aeon could get better, so i am considering getting an portable amplifier. (SASSY GT OR SASSY II)
i heard that aeon as a planner headphone demands power to drive properly. SASSY II could provide 2W at 32ohm, is that enough for aeon or it needs more?
is there any amplifier could enhance HUGO2’s performance?
thank you!

Ok, the AEON (13 Ohm, 93dB SPL/mW) requires the following power requirements:

2.55Vrms / 195.15mA / 500.19mW to reach 120dB SPL.

http://www.digizoid.com/power.php

The Hugo2 has a max Current of 500mA (important for planar headphones) and outputs 740mW in to a more difficult 32 Ohm load which is way more than enough Current and Voltage for the AEON. If you play the AEON at 120dB (the threshold of pain) this is all the AEON will ever use (120dB peaks, which is really loud) and the rest is a waste. Don’t focus on an amp based only on output power, but look for one that is well implemented / designed and adds the sound you want for your tastes. Sure, you need enough power but no where near 2W. For measured distortion performance you’ll be hard pressed to beat the Hugo2.

Do you want more bass? More sparkle? The Sassy Amps will definately add more distortion, but you may like the tuning added to the mix which is what matters. Can you audition them?

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #3,914 of 5,483
Ok, the AEON (13 Ohm, 93dB SPL/mW) requires the following power requirements:

2.55Vrms / 195.15mA / 500.19mW to reach 120dB SPL.

http://www.digizoid.com/power.php

The Hugo2 has a max Current of 500mA (important for planar headphones) and outputs 740mW in to a more difficult 32 Ohm load which is way more than enough Current and Voltage for the AEON. If you play the AEON at 120dB (the threshold of pain) this is all the AEON will ever use (120dB peaks, which is really loud) and the rest is a waste. Don’t focus on an amp based only on output power, but look for one that is well implemented / designed and adds the sound you want for your tastes. Sure, you need enough power but no where near 2W. For measured distortion performance you’ll be hard pressed to beat the Hugo2.

Do you want more bass? More sparkle? The Sassy Amps will definately add more distortion, but you may like the tuning added to the mix which is what matters. Can you audition them?

Thank you RELIC, i never could figure out the math by my self.
regarding sassy audition, sadly i contact the maker of sassy, they think there is nowhere near my location have sassy II OR sassy GT for audition.
i have tried mass-kobo 404, and didn't find it to be the improvement at all.
if power is not a concern for hugo2 and aeon, may be i need an amplifier that sound warmer and have more control power?
my other choice is WA8(use as amp)but for that kind of money i could get a desktop set...
aeon+hugo2 produce decent sound that i like a lot(espatially with classical and jazz), but in some post-rock track that i am very familiar with, i just felt part of the sound(bass section) is missing (somehow)
thats why i wonder if aeon is lack of power from hugo2 (also i have to turn up volume to about 60%~70% on hugo2 to get the proper sound pressure.

Jan 30, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #3,915 of 5,483
Thank you RELIC, i never could figure out the math by my self.
regarding sassy audition, sadly i contact the maker of sassy, they think there is nowhere near my location have sassy II OR sassy GT for audition.
i have tried mass-kobo 404, and didn't find it to be the improvement at all.
if power is not a concern for hugo2 and aeon, may be i need an amplifier that sound warmer and have more control power?
my other choice is WA8(use as amp)but for that kind of money i could get a desktop set...
aeon+hugo2 produce decent sound that i like a lot(espatially with classical and jazz), but in some post-rock track that i am very familiar with, i just felt part of the sound(bass section) is missing (somehow)
thats why i wonder if aeon is lack of power from hugo2 (also i have to turn up volume to about 60%~70% on hugo2 to get the proper sound pressure.

Yeah, I can’t help with the synergy solution, but hope you find what you’re looking for. Regarding 60-70% volume it seems like it would be far too loud for me. I am in the lowest red zone with the ETHER Flow - I don’t have the AEON but they both calculate to need about the same power to drive, mathematically. ‘Control’ of the driver... not going to touch that one as almost all decent amps have a good slew rate and the output impedance damping factor isn’t an issue with Hugo2’s 0.025 Ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back