AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 31, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #3,931 of 5,483
Thank you RELIC, i never could figure out the math by my self.
regarding sassy audition, sadly i contact the maker of sassy, they think there is nowhere near my location have sassy II OR sassy GT for audition.
i have tried mass-kobo 404, and didn't find it to be the improvement at all.
if power is not a concern for hugo2 and aeon, may be i need an amplifier that sound warmer and have more control power?
my other choice is WA8(use as amp)but for that kind of money i could get a desktop set...
aeon+hugo2 produce decent sound that i like a lot(espatially with classical and jazz), but in some post-rock track that i am very familiar with, i just felt part of the sound(bass section) is missing (somehow)
thats why i wonder if aeon is lack of power from hugo2 (also i have to turn up volume to about 60%~70% on hugo2 to get the proper sound pressure.
I own the AEON closed and WA8. In a word: magical match. (ok ok, that was 2 words...)
When I use the WA8 - I use it as DAC and Amp. Not amp only. Multiple reviewers commented on built-in DAC and Amp being such a great match, and most any other external DAC (including Hugo or Hugo2 - cannot remember which) did not sound as good. I personally never tried external DAC since the built-in one works so well...

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #3,933 of 5,483
I own the AEON closed and WA8. In a word: magical match. (ok ok, that was 2 words...)
When I use the WA8 - I use it as DAC and Amp. Not amp only. Multiple reviewers commented on built-in DAC and Amp being such a great match, and most any other external DAC (including Hugo or Hugo2 - cannot remember which) did not sound as good. I personally never tried external DAC since the built-in one works so well...

after doing some research i ordered a sustain 84 tube amp, hopefully it would make a difference. WA8 is on my list, but i heard it is not that portable....considering the weight

Feb 1, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #3,934 of 5,483
Just received my Aeon Closed, having tried mine with the DarkVoice I have come to the conclusion it doesn't make a great combination. It could be the tubes, as they're completely stock. Does anyone have any reasonably priced recommendations that would make a good match for the Aeons? My HD650s are great with the stock tubes, so haven't thought about rolling tubes until now!

However, the Aeon's sound fabulous with my Mojo!

Feb 1, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #3,935 of 5,483
I am happy to have a Hugo 2. For myself no amp needed. Power is plentiful and clean and not edgy at all.

I do enjoy the AEON with the WyWires Platinum and the Kimber cables, I haven't heard a number of other silver or silver plate cables, but based on my small sample a) they open the soundstage and b) add resolution. I'm hesitant to recommend too many pure silver cables as some I have heard make the mods sound thinned out, so a copper silver hybrid or silver plate may be worth consideration...
https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...376577cf79e/1501710642492/AXIOS_HB_Prices.jpg

Ouch!

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #3,937 of 5,483
Dave,
You're one within a small group in headphone enthusiast community I respect, but bewildered you bring Kimber cables into discussion. Does Kimber have headphones cables other than Axios on their website? From what I see Axios cheapest 2m set over $800 and their 2m silver/copper and silver headphone cables are obscenely expensive. How that pricing is justifiable is inconceivable to me. Been audio enthusiast since early 1970's serving overseas in military when caught the bug. Discouraged more than a few cable makers are shamelessly capitalizing on gullible consumers and think this should be called out by people of integrity who put self-respect over financial interests.

Well said.

Also, if you use cables more expensive than the headphone itself, and you recommend them to make the headphone better then I think you’re missing a large part of the conversation.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #3,938 of 5,483
thank you for the recommendation, the cable is almost as expensive as aeon.... i am hesitated
dose the cable really offer the upgrade that match the price(compare to the dum cable provide by default with HP)?

I was able to get the wywires cable when there was a sale going on, so I paid around 400ish. To me it is a no doubt, definitive, (whatever superlative you want to use) upgrade. As others have said before, getting the cable, or interconnect that syncs with your system is like upgrading all of your components. Especially the the Ether flows, they sound better with each tweak I make. And I went a long time thinking upgrade cables would not make a difference; until I tried a new usb cord and noticed the difference. I have replaced everything since then.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #3,939 of 5,483
Just received my Aeon Closed, having tried mine with the DarkVoice I have come to the conclusion it doesn't make a great combination. It could be the tubes, as they're completely stock. Does anyone have any reasonably priced recommendations that would make a good match for the Aeons? My HD650s are great with the stock tubes, so haven't thought about rolling tubes until now!

However, the Aeon's sound fabulous with my Mojo!

The DarkVoice specifications are for 32-600 ohm headphones, as an OTL driving 13 ohms it seems probable the AEON is out of its power band. No disrespect to the product, it's just likely a poor match for this headphone. Some OTL amps aren't optimized for lower impedances, one exception I know of being the ZOTL amps, which I use, they're perfectly fine.

Dan,
You're one within a small group in headphone enthusiast community I respect, but bewildered you bring Kimber cables into discussion. Does Kimber have headphones cables other than Axios on their website? From what I see Axios cheapest 2m set over $800 and their 2m silver/copper and silver headphone cables are obscenely expensive. How that pricing is justifiable is inconceivable to me. Been audio enthusiast since early 1970's serving overseas in military when caught the bug. Discouraged more than a few cable makers are shamelessly capitalizing on gullible consumers and think this should be called out by people of integrity who put self-respect over financial interests.
https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...376577cf79e/1501710642492/AXIOS_HB_Prices.jpg

Yes, the Axios is really expensive. I want to be perfectly clear I wouldn't recommend it to most people either as a value or as appropriate to their systems, but there are reasons I would and do recommend them (or consideration of other premium cables).

First, it'd be remiss to not state there are many who think any upgraded cables are hogwash, overpriced or overhyped. I used to be a cable skeptic (I could hear a difference but couldn't justify the price) until my systems and headphones became resolving enough that cable changes became pretty apparent to me. I don't care if everyone agrees with me or believe me, it's a free planet and that's your right, and I understand. I also understand why some people will never buy a premium cable even if they could hear a difference. Further, I always say that while cables can make a difference in a system they are best considered a finishing touch when you have your system where you want it first.

So, why do I recommend premium cables? First is I do feel that many good ones can improve the resolution of a good system, and that some cables can create a more holographic effect, and that is why I invested in so many different high end systems. A system is a sum of its components and weak links can become more apparent, so for me I've upgraded all interconnects and headphone cables. For many systems I think DUM and DUMMER are sufficient but if your system is where you want it, a cable upgrade can offer sonic AND aesthetic differences. Reducing cables to just "price performance" misses a variable that some value highly and others set at zero.

I have the copper, silver copper, and silver cables and really like them a lot with pretty much anything I connect them to sonically. Also the silver has a LOT of silver in it, these are beefy cables. The silver can be a bit much if the gear is bright or analytical, but on my WA 5 with an Yggy it has a dimensionality that is rather jaw dropping. I'll have the WA 5 with me at the SoCal CanJam and I'll bring a few cables, so skeptics can listen and tell me they can't hear a difference. :wink:

Is the Kimber better than the WyWires Platinum? I wouldn't try to answer, they work great with our headphones and have a tremendous clarity. We sell the WyWires because I think they hit all the right notes at a price that's rational in the context of most systems our customers use with AEON and especially relative to an ETHER, and the Kimber are sold through the kind of stores that sell the TOTL gear and you can hear, test and judge for yourself. But I have always been clear, before you invest in any cables beyond our stock, invest in the DAC and amp you really want. Cables are a finishing touch, and

But when it comes to build quality and aesthetic the Kimber are just superb, and I think they make my great systems look as great as they sound. The WyWIres are functional and look really good, DUM and DUMMER look quality, but the Kimber's are drool-grade gear, gorgeous to look at and they're hand wound and built. Heck, I think they invented their weave and came up with a split that requires no housings or joints. It's craftsman work and I value things of beauty that are hand made for more than just what they do, I love that there are people who do beautiful hand work, and support their making a living doing something of of beauty.

So to conclude a bloody long answer; for people who have really invested in their systems and are running gear like WA33s, vintage Cavalli gear, Eddie Current, or other great gear, and who enjoy the aesthetic as well as the sonic value of these cables these are certainly worth checking out, they sound great, they're beautiful, and I think that's a great compliment to a great system. Could you buy a premium cable that sounds as good and costs less? I don't know and won't answer, I'm sure others will. I'm glad to have both in my collection, use and enjoy them both, and sell the WyWires because they are great products we feel are a worthy upgrade if you are the type who considers that to be of value.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 1, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #3,940 of 5,483
The DarkVoice specifications are for 32-600 ohm headphones, as an OTL driving 13 ohms it seems probable the AEON is out of its power band. No disrespect to the product, it's just likely a poor match for this headphone. Some OTL amps aren't optimized for lower impedances, one exception I know of being the ZOTL amps, which I use, they're perfectly fine.

Yes, the Axios is really expensive. I want to be perfectly clear I wouldn't recommend it to most people either as a value or as appropriate to their systems, but there are reasons I would and do recommend them (or consideration of other premium cables).

First, it'd be remiss to not state there are many who think any upgraded cables are hogwash, overpriced or overhyped. I used to be a cable skeptic (I could hear a difference but couldn't justify the price) until my systems and headphones became resolving enough that cable changes became pretty apparent to me. I don't care if everyone agrees with me or believe me, it's a free planet and that's your right, and I understand. I also understand why some people will never buy a premium cable even if they could hear a difference. Further, I always say that while cables can make a difference in a system they are best considered a finishing touch when you have your system where you want it first.

So, why do I recommend premium cables? First is I do feel that many good ones can improve the resolution of a good system, and that some cables can create a more holographic effect, and that is why I invested in so many different high end systems. A system is a sum of its components and weak links can become more apparent, so for me I've upgraded all interconnects and headphone cables. For many systems I think DUM and DUMMER are sufficient but if your system is where you want it, a cable upgrade can offer sonic AND aesthetic differences. Reducing cables to just "price performance" misses a variable that some value highly and others set at zero.

I have the copper, silver copper, and silver cables and really like them a lot with pretty much anything I connect them to sonically. Also the silver has a LOT of silver in it, these are beefy cables. The silver can be a bit much if the gear is bright or analytical, but on my WA 5 with an Yggy it has a dimensionality that is rather jaw dropping. I'll have the WA 5 with me at the SoCal CanJam and I'll bring a few cables, so skeptics can listen and tell me they can't hear a difference. :wink:

Is the Kimber better than the WyWires Platinum? I wouldn't try to answer, they work great with our headphones and have a tremendous clarity. We sell the WyWires because I think they hit all the right notes at a price that's rational in the context of most systems our customers use with AEON and especially relative to an ETHER, and the Kimber are sold through the kind of stores that sell the TOTL gear and you can hear, test and judge for yourself. But I have always been clear, before you invest in any cables beyond our stock, invest in the DAC and amp you really want. Cables are a finishing touch, and

But when it comes to build quality and aesthetic the Kimber are just superb, and I think they make my great systems look as great as they sound. The WyWIres are functional and look really good, DUM and DUMMER look quality, but the Kimber's are drool-grade gear, gorgeous to look at and they're hand wound and built. Heck, I think they invented their weave and came up with a split that requires no housings or joints. It's craftsman work and I value things of beauty that are hand made for more than just what they do, I love that there are people who do beautiful hand work, and support their making a living doing something of of beauty.

So to conclude a bloody long answer; for people who have really invested in their systems and are running gear like WA33s, vintage Cavalli gear, Eddie Current, or other great gear, and who enjoy the aesthetic as well as the sonic value of these cables these are certainly worth checking out, they sound great, they're beautiful, and I think that's a great compliment to a great system. Could you buy a premium cable that sounds as good and costs less? I don't know and won't answer, I'm sure others will. I'm glad to have both in my collection, use and enjoy them both, and sell the WyWires because they are great products we feel are a worthy upgrade if you are the type who considers that to be of value.

thank you for your detailed opinion on the matter, which makes me considering getting one of the cable that you mentioned for AEON+HUGO2 set.
however in my country, there is no dealer who have those cables that you mentioned, so for me its the original price plus shipping and import TAX and the risk that the cable is lost in the custom or during the horrible delivery service system. but i am not skeptical about cable upgrade at all, i have tried and experienced SQ improvement in the past bring by the upgrading cables(not expensive one). all i am trying to figure out is, how much would this cable actually improve the performance of aeon+hugo2. dose it really worth all the trouble? just tells me in compare to DUM cable, dose AEON sound much better? and in what way?
thank you,

Feb 2, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #3,941 of 5,483
I will bring my WyWires home this weekend, if I have a few minutes I will take a few notes.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 2, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #3,943 of 5,483
after doing some research i ordered a sustain 84 tube amp, hopefully it would make a difference. WA8 is on my list, but i heard it is not that portable....considering the weight
My opinion on portability of WA8:
It is portable in the sense of moving it from room to room inside your house. That is MY use case for it...
It is portable enough to easily take from home to work (office) and back.
It is NOT portable for when out and about... :wink:

Sorry for going a little off-topic. It is an amazing match with the AEON closed!!
Feel free to PM me if you have more questions on WA8 :)

Feb 2, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #3,944 of 5,483
Dan,

I can with confidence that Kimber is not a company gouging or abusing its customers with unfair pricing. I’ve known Ray Kimber since 1977 and never has he been anything other than fair based on his BOM.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Feb 2, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #3,945 of 5,483

I see! That's fair enough, then, thanks for the advice :)
I did have a look at the WA8 but that's too expensive for me at the moment! Looks beautiful, though! Would love to find something that would match better with my Aeons! :) You and your team did a great job with these cans!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back