AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 8, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #3,841 of 5,483
i have listened to the Utopia, Stax 009, HD800s ect.. and I will be honest, I would not purchase them. I have spent much time listening to the 009 on Stax amps here in Japan. I wanted to like them. I wanted to justify paying for them since I knew I would not live in Japan forever, but could not. Same with the Sen Hd800 & 800s. I have spent hours with these using multiple type amps and yet again, I felt I would get listening fatigue after while due to the lack of neutrality. I realized I was most content with a HP which could handle all types of music equally. I found this in both the Aeon Closed and Open.

I recently purchased a HD800S after having sold my first pair about a year ago. There is something about a modded HD800 or a HD800S from a decent tube amp that is quite special. Otherwise I would not bother with it, given the alternatives available now. Utopia was a big disappointment to me - lots of hype for a headphone with a treble spike that reminded me of the unmodded HD800 and a forward character that I found fatiguing in the extreme. No thanks.

... For me, the ÆONs are quite good, but the Ether Flows are superior as far as sound quality is considered, that alone makes it hard to consider both as members of the same class. Some might still prefer an ÆON due to tuning. ....

The bright and thin sound of the Ethers has me running for the exit. I was very wary of trying Mr Speakers again after that experience, but I'm glad I took a chance on the Aeon closed. A well balanced and neutral headphone IMHO. The Ether might have areas where it is technically superior to the Aeon, but I could care less because the tonality of the Ether is fundamentally broken to my ears. YMMV.

Jan 8, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #3,842 of 5,483
So, yet again, what makes a HP mid-fi if it is not the price?

In the two channel stereo world of ten years ago or more, mid-fi was a pejorative term for mass market audio components i.e. pretty much everything you could buy at Best Buy. The term has been used to mean price, but more commonly it was an elitist way to disparage products that you did not need to buy at a high-end stereo store. Midfi products were assumed to be lower quality, but rarely reviewed or tested by high-end publication. I think the term should just be retired since we know that price is a very poor indicator of performance.

Jan 8, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #3,843 of 5,483
I wonder how these will sound next to the latest Closed cans from Sennheiser...the HD 820...

Jan 8, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #3,844 of 5,483
I wonder how these will sound next to the latest Closed cans from Sennheiser...the HD 820...

LINK

If it is sonically similar to the HD800S, but just in a closed back form as the promotional info suggests, then I will probably pass. The Aeon Closed does so much right already that I can't see myself forking out the cash for an HD820.

Jan 8, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #3,845 of 5,483

Yeah, just saw the announcement. Slap a piece of plastic over the ear cups and now you got a closed HP. I guess I could have slapped my hands over the cups and came to the same end point. At least the AFC used nice looking carbon fiber.

Jan 8, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #3,846 of 5,483
Yeah, just saw the announcement. Slap a piece of plastic over the ear cups and now you got a closed HP. I guess I could have slapped my hands over the cups and came to the same end point. At least the AFC used nice looking carbon fiber.

It is glass, not plastic and it acts as like a lens to direct the sound to absorbers. Very clever actually and not "slapped" on. However, I would be worried about cracking the glass. It is the same brand of glass used on iPhones, but maybe thicker.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #3,847 of 5,483
I skimmed through last 10 or 15 pages but didn't find anyone using AFC with Magni 3/ Modi 2 Multibit. I know magni 3 has more than enough power to run AFC very easily but anyone has experience with this setup and how does it sound? At my work the only option I have for DAC/AMP is Magni 3/ Modi 2 Multibit and would really like to hear from someone that has tried this before I place my order.

Jan 8, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #3,848 of 5,483
The bright and thin sound of the Ethers has me running for the exit.

The what now? What amp were you using? The Ethers sound like the ÆONs, just with better bass extension, more punch, and a slightly different tonality, but none of them are thin or overly bright (but I like bright, so I may be more tolerant). At least that was my experience with the Jotunheim.

I was very wary of trying Mr Speakers again after that experience, but I'm glad I took a chance on the Aeon closed. A well balanced and neutral headphone IMHO.

Agreed.

Jan 8, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #3,849 of 5,483
The what now? What amp were you using? The Ethers sound like the ÆONs, just with better bass extension, more punch, and a slightly different tonality, but none of them are thin or overly bright (but I like bright, so I may be more tolerant). ....

Not to my ears. I didn't feel the love for the Ether Flow. Wanted to. Tried to. Couldn't.

Jan 9, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #3,850 of 5,483
I skimmed through last 10 or 15 pages but didn't find anyone using AFC with Magni 3/ Modi 2 Multibit. I know magni 3 has more than enough power to run AFC very easily but anyone has experience with this setup and how does it sound? At my work the only option I have for DAC/AMP is Magni 3/ Modi 2 Multibit and would really like to hear from someone that has tried this before I place my order.
I am using this combo at home, and I think it sounds great with the AFC.

Jan 9, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #3,853 of 5,483
We're close to having a new dealer in Weston, FL. Is that close enough to be of interest?

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back