Advanced AcousticWerkes W500 Hybrid Flagship Thread
Sep 17, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #136 of 198
  Okay, I had almost pulled the trigger on the Sony MDR-Z5 that I could get for about 415 Euros, now I get an offer for a new W500 with about 10 % discount (€1042,- instead of 1159,- for the W500 or €1183,- instead of 1315,- for the W500 AhMorph). Impressions would be included. Could anyone please tell me what to do before I lose my mind? I'm looking for a full, thick sound signature with slightly rolled-off, smooooth treble and great, thunderous bass. Has anyone heard both? I  think I have a pretty good feel for the standing of the W500 amongst other TOTL CIEMS (thanks to @jelt2359, among others), but I don't have any idea where the Sony's fit in the picture. For all I know, they might be a great bargain. I'm aware that this is almost impossible to answer, but I'm torturing myself over the question if the difference will be worth 600-700 bucks, and it's gonna be hard to audition both (I would have to order the Z5, drive three hours, compare them and return the Z5 if I like the W500 better), so I would be grateful for a nudge in any direction.

W500 Ahmorph is in another league..you mean the XBA-Z5? it's midfi basshead iem. 

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #138 of 198
I think a question worth asking yourself is "if i buy the z5, will I end up buying the w500 eventually anyway?"

If the answer is yes, it may be worth buying the TOTLs now, and save some time and money in the process.

Sep 22, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #139 of 198
Thanks, @bananafische! You're absolutely right, and this would be exactly my thinking (and has been in the past -- I'm not one to pick up lots of gear and usually try to shoot for the best), however, this is sort of a special use case, in that I have a great headphone for home use and am just looking for something to use when on the go/travelling. Could be the best of the best is just pearls before swine in this case. But I guess I'll have to find out for myself. Like the Sony MDR-EX1000, the XBA-Z5 is very highly regarded for its price class, and I don't think it was Sony's flagship for nothing. I have done quite a bit of reading on it in the meantime, and it's actually often compared very favorably against much higher priced TOTL (C)IEMS, so I'm certainly curious to see what the deal is. Definitely looking for a darker sound sig with elevated midbass, rumbling subbass, full-bodied mids and smooooth (insert as much o's as you got) highs, so I might prefer it to many competitors costing three or four times as much. At this point, I've pretty much narrowed it down to:

AAW W500/W500 AHMorph
Lime Ears Aether (not sure if bassy enough)
Custom Arts Harmony 8 or 8.2
Rhapsodio Solar
Earsonics Velvet (not sure about build quality)
Sony XBA-Z5

I'll probably be able to listen to all of these except the Rhapsodio and then make an informed (and hopefully wise) decision. If someone would like to discourage me from one of these based on my preference or add a new contender to the list, please don't hesitate.

Sep 22, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #140 of 198
Thanks, @bananafische
! You're absolutely right, and this would be exactly my thinking (and has been in the past -- I'm not one to pick up lots of gear and usually try to shoot for the best), however, this is sort of a special use case, in that I have a great headphone for home use and am just looking for something to use when on the go/travelling. Could be the best of the best is just pearls before swine in this case. But I guess I'll have to find out for myself. Like the Sony MDR-EX1000, the XBA-Z5 is very highly regarded for its price class, and I don't think it was Sony's flagship for nothing. I have done quite a bit of reading on it in the meantime, and it's actually often compared very favorably against much higher priced TOTL (C)IEMS, so I'm certainly curious to see what the deal is. Definitely looking for a darker sound sig with elevated midbass, rumbling subbass, full-bodied mids and smooooth (insert as much o's as you got) highs, so I might prefer it to many competitors costing three or four times as much. At this point, I've pretty much narrowed it down to:

AAW W500/W500 AHMorph
Lime Ears Aether (not sure if bassy enough)
Custom Arts Harmony 8 or 8.2
Rhapsodio Solar
Earsonics Velvet (not sure about build quality)
Sony XBA-Z5

I'll probably be able to listen to all of these except the Rhapsodio and then make an informed (and hopefully wise) decision. If someone would like to discourage me from one of these based on my preference or add a new contender to the list, please don't hesitate.
The sound you describe I wouldn't go for the Aether or AAW500. The Solar could work. But I would also consider the 846 too.

Sep 22, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #141 of 198
Oh man, you're crushing me! Why not W500? Too much treble energy?
Tried the 846, wasn't for me. It's been a while, but I felt something about its sound sig was off, think I found it a little ... metallic sounding? In any case, I remember I was neither really fond of the treble nor the bass.

Edit: Any more recommendations?

Sep 22, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #142 of 198
Oh man, you're crushing me! Why not W500? Too much treble energy?
Tried the 846, wasn't for me. It's been a while, but I felt something about its sound sig was off, think I found it a little ... metallic sounding? In any case, I remember I was neither really fond of the treble nor the bass.

Edit: Any more recommendations?
Well you AAW is not so smooth in the treble. Give the 846 a second try with other sources. Also, try the Zeus XIV and the Plus5. Both correspond very well to what you describe IMO.

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #143 of 198
Cheers, mate! Although I think I read a Rhapsodio vs. Zeus comparo that made the Zeus out to be relatively treble forward. Oh well. I certainly got my work cut out for me. To quote the Beatles: It's a long and winding road ...

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #144 of 198
Well you AAW is not so smooth in the treble. Give the 846 a second try with other sources. Also, try the Zeus XIV and the Plus5. Both correspond very well to what you describe IMO.

I really wonder why our impressions of the W500 are so different. My customized pair suffered from a distinct lack of sparkle, resolution and clarity. Assuming you tried the universal version, I suspect the ear tips introduced a treble peak (or two) which contributed to an increase in perceived clarity. This is not uncommon in my experience. 

Sep 22, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #145 of 198
  I really wonder why our impressions of the W500 are so different. My customized pair suffered from a distinct lack of sparkle, resolution and clarity. Assuming you tried the universal version, I suspect the ear tips introduced a treble peak (or two) which contributed to an increase in perceived clarity. This is not uncommon in my experience. 

I only had 15mn with the demo. They were not the sparkliest on the planet, but clearly not part of the "smooth treble" gang.
Cheers, mate! Although I think I read a Rhapsodio vs. Zeus comparo that made the Zeus out to be relatively treble forward. Oh well. I certainly got my work cut out for me. To quote the Beatles: It's a long and winding road ...

There are two version of the Zeus. The original, called the XIV, which I prefer, which is mid forward and mid thick, clearly not treble forward. This is the one I recommend. The Zeus-R is more balanced, but by no means treble forward. The Solar is V-shaped, the mids pushed a bit back, so maybe a less nice sound for you.

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #146 of 198
  Thanks, @bananafische! You're absolutely right, and this would be exactly my thinking (and has been in the past -- I'm not one to pick up lots of gear and usually try to shoot for the best), however, this is sort of a special use case, in that I have a great headphone for home use and am just looking for something to use when on the go/travelling. Could be the best of the best is just pearls before swine in this case. But I guess I'll have to find out for myself. Like the Sony MDR-EX1000, the XBA-Z5 is very highly regarded for its price class, and I don't think it was Sony's flagship for nothing. I have done quite a bit of reading on it in the meantime, and it's actually often compared very favorably against much higher priced TOTL (C)IEMS, so I'm certainly curious to see what the deal is. Definitely looking for a darker sound sig with elevated midbass, rumbling subbass, full-bodied mids and smooooth (insert as much o's as you got) highs, so I might prefer it to many competitors costing three or four times as much. At this point, I've pretty much narrowed it down to:

You can check out the A12 too. Warm and thick sig with smooth highs.

Oct 14, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #149 of 198
  Or try Beyonce Knowles. I hear she has warm, thick and smooth thighs.

Hmm, I like them full-bodied, big-bottomed, with a sweet, lush midrange ... Oh, I'm still talking about headphones, btw. (More of a Rihanna guy myself.) Anyway, thanks for the good advice, but I ended up buying the Oriolus. Very happy right now, it's exactly what I was looking for (see above)!

Also, I heard that there is going to be a new flagship from AAW soon (and that they may cease production of the W500). Apparently they haven't been happy with the AHMorph module, but from what I hear the're going to retire the "normal" version as well in favor of the new, 8 driver one (W800?). Well, I guess we'll see ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back