AD700 First Impressions
Mar 12, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #152 of 176
Awesome that this stellar cans are finally, finally getting the recognition they deserve.

Smooth, vast soundstage. Not to mention that they shine on almost any source you throw at them.

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #153 of 176
I bought AD700 and I enjoy the soundstage and clarity. I listen to all sorts of genres.

I tried AD700 last night with some acoustics, Tiesto and Oxygene by Jean-Michel Jarre. It's enjoyable.

Now, I am wondering if I should have gotten AD900. I am especially interested in it's soundstage. Awaiting donunus review.
smily_headphones1.gif

I suppose AD700 and AD900 are some of the best unamped cans for big soundstage.

Anyone know which portable closed cans are known for their soundstage?

Mar 12, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #154 of 176
Does anyone notice that the rounded part inside the headphone that sticks out a little behind the cloth hurts their ear after a while? Maybe it's just my particular ear, but on the right side it seems to press against one of the ridges on my ear and it gets irritating after an hour or so.

I'd be interested to know if the AD900 is the same *physical* construction as the 700 other than cosmetic/electronic, etc, and if they have the same driver housing or whatever it is.

Mar 12, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #155 of 176
That's the driver. It's angled. Supposed to give a wider soundstage. I don't feel the thing. It's very comfortable for me.

From what I read, AD900 drivers will be nearer to your ears.

I'm trying my AD700 now with the Israel trance group Astral Projection. Sounds good. I can "feel" the sounds "dancing" around.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #156 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by Success /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the driver. It's angled. Supposed to give a wider soundstage. I don't feel the thing. It's very comfortable for me.

From what I read, AD900 drivers will be nearer to your ears.

Okay, thanks. Maybe it's just the angle, and the 900 would actually be better.

Quote:

I'm trying my AD700 now with the Israel trance group Astral Projection. Sounds good. I can "feel" the sounds "dancing" around.
smily_headphones1.gif

they do sound good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #157 of 176

Quote:
Disclaimer: Think of this as a fanatic raving thread because i struck gold so to say. Please don't get tempted to buy the ad700s because I love them so much. Get them if you like the descriptions I made about them. If I put myself in others shoes, they are really not that impressive. They just happened to strike a chord in me that hasn't been touched in years. Mysterious shyte coming from such a cheap can.

Too late... lol my new AD700s are ordered and will arrive next week.

Well, I did read lots of threads involving the AD700, and will be getting them because of all the recommendations for gaming, and classical music. Right now, I lack a relaxed wide-soundstaged pair of headphones I can listen to and unwind at the end of the day. All my other phones are too impactful for smooth classical pieces.

These will be my first (considered) "audiophile" caliber cans. :) I can't wait.

Oh, and I welcome myself to Head-Fi. And according to the first line of this post, I feel sorry for my wallet already... lol

PS: The OP saying the AD700s are slightly warm, does anyone know how they compare with Denon AH-D1001 warmth?
If you can tell, that's my main reference point so far. I've only briefly tried a Senn HD555 at a very very low volume in a nearby audio store, with my old iPod Nano 2G. lol I must say though, the soundstage on that I thought was incredible at the time. I was looking to replace my Bose Triports. I had ended up getting the Denons.

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #160 of 176
oooooh.. I can't wait  lol. It's on the way to me right now. It'll arrive in the next day or two... I'm interning full-time until this friday, so I might not be able to receive it... Depending on whether FedEx will require my signature I might be able to pick it up on Monday instead...
Though I may get them sooner if they leave it at my door, someone might take it before I get home...

I'll post up impressions of it when I get them.
Like "AD700: Impressions from a Junior Head-fier" something like that.  :)

Jun 20, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #162 of 176
YAY! They're burning in now. Gonna make the review thread next week :D look out for it!
One thing's for certain (from brief listening), I'm keeping these babies!

Jun 20, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #164 of 176
at first listen, no I never found them to be too sibilant. My D1001s are way more sibilant, to the point of me wincing at some recordings everytime a letter "s" i pronounced. The AD700 does, however, reproduce sibilant recordings faithfully.

I'm wondering if there's a frequency response graph anywhere in the internet. Headroom doesn't have one for me to compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back