Acoustune Impressions thread
May 4, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #332 of 805
I'm new to Accoustune and decided to take a punt and got a set of HS1657CU earphones from eBay and have to say I'm impressed so far. The build is something that stands out, they seem to be very solid and look great. There isn't much with regards to reviews on the HS1657CU's which I find quite surprising, anyone had any experience on this model?
Wait for it. someone here owns / auditioned all 3. '57, 77, 97...

May 11, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #333 of 805
Wait for it. someone here owns / auditioned all 3. '57, 77, 97...
Yup. Auditioned all 3 '57, '77, '97, owns 1650 - all within the context of slightly elaborate desk/portable listening setup. I won't venture into sharing notes on audio impression since it has been a few months, but I made a mental note w.r.t. to my 1650: [did not pull the trigger unless '97 retails at '77; also the original '50s are handy w/ listening on the go with iPhone hooked on DD Hifi lightning <> 3.5MM and/or out of my Questyle QP1R*]
1 '57 (most compelling): substantial improvement on my classic rock / band - separation seems better so was easier to "get" the layering in more complex musical passages...
2 '77 (less aligned with my taste / genre): ...with slightly more "clinical" presentation on the brass instrument...
3 '97 (very compelling but priced higher than what I'm willing to pay for): ...and higher definition / nuances, which I appreciated but did not necessarily "crave for" when switching back to '57

Note:
>> AMP: audition was on IFI iDSD BL (burr-brown DAC) with settings adjusted to match IEM-impedance, which often tones down edginess of earphones / headphones.
>> Source: iPhone Deezer Lossless hooked on to my AMP through a USB Camera

* Remains my "go-to" setup vs. my other gears: "IEMs: EE Valkyrie Mk2" "Senn HD600,700,800" - something about portability and dynamic driver sound packaged at that price. So easy.

May 11, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #334 of 805
Yup. Auditioned all 3 '57, '77, '97, owns 1650 - all within the context of slightly elaborate desk/portable listening setup. I won't venture into sharing notes on audio impression since it has been a few months, but I made a mental note w.r.t. to my 1650: [did not pull the trigger unless '97 retails at '77; also the original '50s are handy w/ listening on the go with iPhone hooked on DD Hifi lightning <> 3.5MM and/or out of my Questyle QP1R*]
1 '57 (most compelling): substantial improvement on my classic rock / band - separation seems better so was easier to "get" the layering in more complex musical passages...
2 '77 (less aligned with my taste / genre): ...with slightly more "clinical" presentation on the brass instrument...
3 '97 (very compelling but priced higher than what I'm willing to pay for): ...and higher definition / nuances, which I appreciated but did not necessarily "crave for" when switching back to '57

Note:
>> AMP: audition was on IFI iDSD BL (burr-brown DAC) with settings adjusted to match IEM-impedance, which often tones down edginess of earphones / headphones.

* Remains my "go-to" setup vs. my other gears: "IEMs: EE Valkyrie Mk2" "Senn HD600,700,800" - something about portability and dynamic driver sound packaged at that price. So easy.

@ usd.608 approx. + shipping looks interesting enough if the Zen can put up to this pair...

1620755332753.png

May 11, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #336 of 805

Note:

Thanks for the insight, have you by any chance tried the HS1300? I'm interested in your opinion and how it stacks up with the HS1657.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #337 of 805
Isn’t an used 1695ti more interesting?
@ usd.608 approx. + shipping looks interesting enough if the Zen can put up to this pair...

1620755332753.png

May 11, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #338 of 805
Isn’t an used 1695ti more interesting?
if you can get that for a significantly reduced price, sure. But your it07 might be hard to beat w/ that. The 1697ti should be your ticket, this can trade punches w/ the Encore...

May 11, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #339 of 805
May 11, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #341 of 805
Can the Acoustune 1657Cu be worn wire-down?
And... would they be good for an all-rounder use case?
Wire-down: yes, no significant issue for my ear but experience varies by individual ear shape and sizes. They stick just fine when not moving around. Looping around the ear does help secure them for a more consistent lock and hence sound though.

All-rounder...: good enough for me in the sense that I don’t get “critical” / “fault-finding” and can focus on the music. 80% of my listening is done with these beautiful pairs.

...with exceptions: [headphones] I still bother to get to my full-size headphones for orchestral work to get that concert hall dimensionality though albeit for 10-15% of my listening (20 mins a day max) [home stereo] and sometimes for that organic and lush sound coming from my LP collections that even DSD files can’t beat for classical music. My ears are quite discerning to the sounds of acoustic instruments due to my classical music training playing in ensembles etc, otherwise I don’t “pick up” these nuances in other genres.

May 11, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #342 of 805
Thanks for the insight, have you by any chance tried the HS1300? I'm interested in your opinion and how it stacks up with the HS1657.
I have not auditioned that one unfortunately. Good form factor is appealing though.

May 12, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #343 of 805
May 13, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #345 of 805

Users who are viewing this thread

Back