A Tale of Two Tube Amps - The Woo Audio WA7 and ALO Audio PanAm
Feb 25, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #46 of 115
Great review! I got mine today and the bassiness you described is the same for me. The treble seems ok, tho. The WA7 is definitely a step up from my Vincent HP amp. I have not even tried the DAC yet due to driver issues I have yet to work out.

Feb 26, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #47 of 115
Quote:
@currawong,

you mentioned the aurorasound and vaunix usb bus power devices to isolate the WA7 from the noisy onboard usb power. What would be your opinion on the teradak linear PSU and the teralink USB isolator combo?

I noticed that both the aurorasound and the vaunix use switching power supplies as with the ifi iusb. Would they be in any way superior to the cheaper teralink/teradak combo other than providing more usb ports?

I don't have experience with the Teradak unfortunately. I didn't experiment comprehensively with using a better PSU with the WA7's DAC but with other usb-powered DACs such as the Dragonfly it will make a noticeable improvement.

Edit: I had a listen to some good recordings of music I'm familiar with and without an Aurorasound USB Pro attached and instruments seemed to sound less "flat" and more real with it attached. It was a subtle difference, but noticeable, for me at least. The inbuilt DAC is still very good and my main DACs don't provide their money's worth of improvement over it IMO.  I think most people would simply be satisfied with the WA7 by itself and without all the tweaking.

Quote:
Awesome review Currawong, yours and Mr. Bigsby's make excellent companion reviews! Though I was probably sold on the WA7 the moment I first saw the screw-less case design.. Mine is arriving tomorrow, can't wait!

Question though: If I'm currently using the AudioQuest Dragonfly as my DAC w/my iMac as the source, am I better off to continue using the Dragonfly, or should I use the WA7's built-in DAC instead? Wondering how the two DACs compare...

Reason I ask is because I'm quite happy with my current RCA interconnects, and I'd rather not drop cash for a spiffy new USB cable, especially if there's not much sonic difference between the two DACs...

You may as well keep using the Dragonfly if you're happy with it.  I thought about comparing the inbuilt DAC to others, but decided not to as I wanted to keep the review reasonably simple.

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #48 of 115
Great review Currawong! :D

I'm slowly treading into the world of Hi-Fi's wanting to get a better listening experience. I was doing alot of research for my first headphones, amplifier and DAC. Sennheiser HD650s seemed to be most people's recommendations but to power these headphones I would need a suitable amplifier. Since most of my music comprises of MP3s, people suggested I also add in a DAC. So the right choice seemed to be entry level Schitt amp/dac.

There are so many amps and dacs to choose from. So to simplify things, I wanted an All-in-One. That's where I first discovered Head-Fi and this review of the Woo Audio W7. I immediately fell in love with it. The W7 looked very simplistic but so gorgeous. The name "fireflies" really does fit. After reading your review, I pulled the trigger and ordered one. Now I have to wait until the end of March!

The reason I went with the Woo Audio W7 instead of the entry level Schitt's is because I'm the type of person that will tend to upgrade from entry level to mid-high end after a couple of months.Like when I built my first gaming computer, it could only play on medium graphical settings. After 6 months, I upgraded my computer to play games at maximum settings. So to save myself wasted money and hassle of trying to resell entry level gear, I went straight to the mid level.

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #49 of 115
Quote:

I hope to find out soon!  But my WA7 is not supposed to ship until the end of March. 
frown.gif

When did you order?. I ordered on Jan 29th with an estimated "end-March" shipping date. But I just got an email that my WA7 shipped today. /yay

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #50 of 115
I ordered on Jan 29th too...and like you, I just got a pleasant surprise. Mine should be here tomorrow!

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #51 of 115
I ordered mine Feb 4th, and also got the late March shipping estimate.  But then I got another email Feb 9th that said they were running behind, but that it would ship after "mid" March.  So ... I'm keeping my fingers crossed it'll be sooner than later!

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #52 of 115
I got mine today at work...and I remembered to slip a power cable into my bag when I left home! 
tongue_smile.gif

(unfortunately, I forgot the USB cable.  Doh! )

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #54 of 115
Thank you for that great review.
Can you or anybody on the forum tell me if the WA7's are an excellent fit for the Senn. HD800's.
Does it have enough power to drive them and the smoothness to remove the edgeness from the 800's? 
Lastly, Connect to iPad 3(Goldenear App) via usb through CCK and/or iPad Dock RCA cable?

Thanks any suggestions would be appreciated.

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #55 of 115
Quote:
Thank you for that great review.
Can you or anybody on the forum tell me if the WA7's are an excellent fit for the Senn. HD800's.
Does it have enough power to drive them and the smoothness to remove the edgeness from the 800's? 
Lastly, Connect to iPad 3(Goldenear App) via usb through CCK and/or iPad Dock RCA cable?

Thanks any suggestions would be appreciated.

Its almost like it was designed for the HD800 in mind, stock tubes are recommended i think.
WA7 powers anything.

Mar 5, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #60 of 115
Currawong, got your WA7 today. It's hardly warmed up and I had a listen on the TH-600 demo and I passed the headphones to my wife and casually asked how much it cost. After I told her, she calmly said, "Why don't you sell your old DAC/Amp and buy this instead?". NEVER have I ever had her approval on audio purchases, let alone encouragement!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back