A look inside the Grado factory
Feb 18, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #61 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't believe you don't see any differences. That McIntosh shop looks AWESOME.

well since you brought it up...
AAh, the haze of smoky cutting fluid, nothing like it in the machine shop...
metal1.JPG

a workers station:
assem1.JPG

service.JPG

source:
link
I dont see anyone soldering away at a vintage MC275. I'd like to meet the workers who actually recap 25 year old amps. their workbench is probably even more perfect for countering your argument.

I also find it ironic that your definition of quality is basically full automation with a minimum of human contact, where that above tour guide states that nearly everything is done by hand.

I have nothing against mcintosh, but they were your example.
Come off the high horse.
Quote:

EVERYTHING LOOKS CLEAN, well lit, plenty of room to work, all the assemblers look like they belong, far from a sweatshop, high tech, all their machines and instruments look in great shop, well maintained, and best of all, I don't see parts just thrown in a card board box messily all over the place!

the smoke of hot cutting fluid is NOT clean, and could indicate a ventilation problem in the machine shop.

Feb 18, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #63 of 116
And the RS-1 and GS-1000 use CnC'd metal circles to hold the earcups. It's only the lower Grados which use the molded plastic.

Feb 18, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #64 of 116
metal1.JPG

ROFLMAO!!

C'mon dude, that's obviously a picture taken from behind a glass, you can see people's reflection in the glass. That's hilarious!

As to the other photos you posted, still miles and miles better than what I see in the Grado shop in terms of professionalism. They look incredible, unbelievable, mind boggling stupendous in comparison to the Grado shop. They look like a high tech manufacturing/repair shop, not some dirty, hand built shed in my dad's backyard where he stores landscaping equipment.

Feb 18, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #65 of 116
Quote:

As to the other photos you posted, still miles and miles better than what I see in the Grado shop in terms of professionalism. They look incredible, unbelievable, mind boggling stupendous in comparison to the Grado shop.

What do you expect? Mcintosh prices are just a bit wee higher than even the most expensive Grado phones.

Stop trolling.

Feb 18, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #67 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacdan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy cow, the place looks like a sweatshop!

eh?

No it doesn't...

Honestly, I've never seen a worked in workshop that ever clean during operation as it's near impossible and in fact, a hazard.
This ain't a kitchen you know.

If maybe I dunno, the workers were white, you wouldn't have the same impression?
This post shows you never been in a workshop before / you never did any kind of workshop at school.

Feb 18, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #68 of 116
This is *exactly* what I would want my fav cans to have as a design floor:

grado-06.jpg

Awesome ... like an elves workshop or something ...

And I can imagine no work force or sets of hands that might have better put together my GS1k's and RS1's than these:

grado-48.jpg

I'm totally stoked that mine are Made in US Grados but built by fat and happy and lovely Mexican women! Hell ... I wouldn't mind working at the Grado labs, myself ...
wink.gif

In all seriousness ... there's a certain organic quality to the Grado "house sound" that is very much reminiscent of those more rustic and homey and grassroots sort of work environments pictured in that tour.

I like it.

I do have a bone to pick with John Grado, though ... but that's already covered in another thread.

wink.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #69 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you expect? Mcintosh prices are just a bit wee higher than even the most expensive Grado phones.

Stop trolling.

x2

The only reason I don't like Grado is the sound and it's the only reason I have when I buy headphones and speakers.

Feb 18, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #70 of 116
I bet Sennheiser's, AKG's and Audio Technica's shops in China look a lot worse.

My HD485 and K81DJ are made in China. AD700 are also made in China.

Feb 18, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #71 of 116
The interior pics of Grado Labs only reinforce my appreciation of the company. I like knowing that I am supporting a small family-run operation. I really don't see any evidence of the workshop being messy - cramped perhaps, but that's because it's in a small row house in Brooklyn! Honestly, I wouldn't give a damn if the place were a pigsty, as long as the phones work and sound great. It's good to know that small businesses like this can still compete and achieve international acclaim.

Feb 18, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #72 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, those workbenches are actually decently organized.

Seriously I know people think that engineering labs are spotless....

In fact, engineering and science labs in research universities are some of the dirtiest places on earth. They have traces of lead and many toxic chemicals. Constantly smell of rust and a hint of sulfur. Parts are everywhere, especially cut part leads for things like capacitors and resistors.

Yet, in every way, it is considered professional.

I mean seriously, look at pictures of the chemistry lab that Dr. Gilmore works in (and that is one of the cleanest labs I have been in at the school).

Ironically, the Machine shop is probably one of the cleanest as well.

I must comment on this by saying that the university of Chemistry and Life Science that I attended was very very clean and thorough and nothing at all what you are describing here.

Feb 18, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #73 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ROFLMAO!!

C'mon dude, that's obviously a picture taken from behind a glass, you can see people's reflection in the glass. That's hilarious!

As to the other photos you posted, still miles and miles better than what I see in the Grado shop in terms of professionalism. They look incredible, unbelievable, mind boggling stupendous in comparison to the Grado shop. They look like a high tech manufacturing/repair shop, not some dirty, hand built shed in my dad's backyard where he stores landscaping equipment.

LOL!

You really know how to embellish and grossly exaggerate with the best of them. Are/were you a journalism major?

Feb 18, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #74 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL!

You really know how to embellish and grossly exaggerate with the best of them. Are/were you a journalism major?

Come on, that's not fair at all. It's hard for him to get a good look when his head is so far up his ass.

Feb 18, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #75 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardstyler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bet Sennheiser's, AKG's and Audio Technica's shops in China look a lot worse.

My HD485 and K81DJ are made in China. AD700 are also made in China.

I bet not as my AD900s are made in Japan. And its already been verified the AD700 is made in Japan. Good try though, AD900 is rock solid, incredibly well built awesome work of art.

But yeah I'll stop, having way too much fun for my health as it is, my head may implode from too much fun. But seriously, this dude is appalled at Grado shop and will never ever, buy any Grado product as long as they look like torture devices and DIY projects.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike6502 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come on, that's not fair at all. It's hard for him to get a good look when his head is so far up his ass.

You need to learn to have some fun and remove your head from your own ass, the humor dies immediately in the gaseous stank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back