A look inside the Grado factory
Feb 18, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #17 of 116
I think the irony is that a Grado factory worker is using (what looks like) a really crappy pair of ear buds.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #19 of 116
Lol the american dream, that made me laugh
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #20 of 116
From Grado, such expensive gear, I did not expect to see those particular workers working there, if they have training outside of Grado, doesn't have to be College, at least a good vocational school with some sort of apprentice program. I expect the machines area kept immaculately clean, the workbench again, organized and clean, no cardboard boxes, headphone and amp parts not piled up on top of each other everywhere. Find something else other than card boards. Find a building that has good filtration, air system, with proper good lighting, large clean, smooth benches with plenty of shelves for the worker's tools, and chairs with proper support for a long day of manufacturing. Bunch of people holed up in a room with piles of card board boxes in a small room with bunch of amateur looking people standing around, is not what I expect.

But yeah, this is my opinion, have not said anything to say, my opinion is the right one. I just won't buy a Grado headphone because of the factory they are manufactured. I've always thought Grado headphones looked like DIY project rather than a professional, commercial product. I much prefer if a headphone was made in a high tech factory where the only significant human element is in quality control to test each product, matching drivers, build quality and etc than Grado. If its hand made from start to finish or machined with good quality control doesn't matter to me, as long as done properly, orderly, clean, and well awesome. There is a reason why my Audio Technica's can be heaved across the room and look awesome after, and Grados will break.

I also don't think this factors in whether I'm an audiophile or not. I don't refer to myself as an audiophile anyways...

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #21 of 116
Well you are obviously not, call me crazy, but I always judge a headphone by its sound.

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #23 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From Grado, such expensive gear, I did not expect to see those particular workers working there, if they have training outside of Grado, doesn't have to be College, at least a good vocational school with some sort of apprentice program. I expect the machines area kept immaculately clean, the workbench again, organized and clean, no cardboard boxes, headphone and amp parts not piled up on top of each other everywhere. Find something else other than card boards. Find a building that has good filtration, air system, with proper good lighting, large clean, smooth benches with plenty of shelves for the worker's tools, and chairs with proper support for a long day of manufacturing. Bunch of people holed up in a room with piles of card board boxes in a small room with bunch of amateur looking people standing around, is not what I expect.

Maybe they could work in modern day, squeaky clean, robot operated automated factories and we could then "expect" to pay $200 for an SR60.

My Grado's still sound great after seeing these "awful" pictures.

How can that possibly be?

Good grief..

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #24 of 116
These negative comments crack me up, it's like people have never been in an actual industrial setting. It doesn't look terribly different from some big company machining and testing areas I've seen aside from the size which is dictated by sales volume and not different from how I'd imagine many of the smaller audio shops. People would be in for a surprise if they saw some places they think are squeaky clean white rooms.

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #26 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These negative comments crack me up, it's like people have never been in an actual industrial setting. It doesn't look terribly different from some big company machining and testing areas I've seen aside from the size which is dictated by sales volume and not different from how I'd imagine many of the smaller audio shops. People would be in for a surprise if they saw some places they think are squeaky clean white rooms.

Seriously.

Great post.

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #27 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2. Seems some people got their bubble burst when they found out their pair of beloved Grado headphones were just one in a pile of many in the cardboard box, built from a messy factory room by typical assembly workers.

That said, I still dream about having a pair of RS1!!!
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #29 of 116
Thanks for posting this. I actually think it's really cool that they are made in such a way/place. I mean if it made the phones sound worse then, yeah, I would prefer them being made in better environments; but as it stands they sound amazing, especially for the price. Man, the mail needs to hurry up and get me my SR60s
tongue_smile.gif

The monitor and speakers looked awesome too.
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back