A look inside the Grado factory
Feb 18, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #2 of 116
The irony!

grado-11.jpg

Feb 18, 2009 at 9:45 AM Post #5 of 116
Old news and isn't if horrifying? Among reasons I still refuse to buy a Grado.

Feb 18, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #7 of 116
Not exactly horrifying, but I'm still quite surprised. I would always picture in my head a giant factory with beautiful headphone loving workers (no offense to them!). It looks like a house. No wonder I couldn't locate it on Google maps...

Feb 18, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #8 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Old news and isn't if horrifying? Among reasons I still refuse to buy a Grado.

Yes thats a VERY good reason, your an audiophile for sure!

Feb 18, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #9 of 116
Excuse me here when I say this, but......

You do realize that a very large portion of the HiFi scene is made in small workshops like this.

Many speaker and amp operations are made in converted basements or garages. Those looks like pretty standard work benches to me (maybe need a bit more cleaning and organizing). That says nothing to the quality of the product.

Truth is that Grado is a small operation.
How many high end headphones will you sell in a day? How many turntable cartridges? It is a small market.

Like many of you, I would like to see the durability go up of Grado. At the same point in time, it seems to work fine as most people do not have many problems. In fact, it is less than the Denon problems with breakage.

Not everyone loves headphones and it is just a job on what is basically a small assembly line. Hand crafted, Hand inspected, and sound good? Sounds more legitimate to me than many of the large operations who use all machine made in countries not known for giving fair pay or hours.

Also, there isn't anything particularly high tech about headphones or cartridges.

Be Reasonable!

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #11 of 116
I for one could do without the Grado tours....I love my Grados but there's something about seeing these expensive phones stacked up in an old cardboard box that I just simply do not need to see.

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #13 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I for one could do without the Grado tours....I love my Grados but there's something about seeing these expensive phones stacked up in an old cardboard box that I just simply do not need to see.

I tend to agree with you sir.

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #14 of 116
What did you expect? Intel cleanrooms? Sort of thing I would expect from a small company.

Quote:

I love my Grados but there's something about seeing these expensive phones stacked up in an old cardboard box that I just simply do not need to see.

Snob

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #15 of 116
I think those stacked headphones were SR-60s most likely. I don't think it harms them at all being stacked, if they are placed with care. Also, photos tend to make things look messier than they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back