$500 for new headphones - advice needed plz!
Jul 11, 2012 at 2:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ryanwessel

New Head-Fier
for the past year ive been using Sennheiser EH-250 - a cheap pair. I use them for making music, producing. so hearing all of the sound is very important. Accuracy and quality is must. but i also want some bass booming. I'm fairly sure i can get some very quality headphones (over ear) for 500 hundred, and im hoping you head fi'ers can direct me the cans i need! please let me know what you think.

What can anybody reccomend for me? i have a 500 dollar budget, and i mainly use them on the computer. i have no amp either, (does the amp make a dramatic difference)? color, theme, and the looks in general aren't important to me, just the sound. I need that perfect sound!

look forward to reading your responses!
thank you,

sincerely,

ryan

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:
For the past year ive been using Sennheiser EH-250 - a cheap pair. I use them for making music, producing. so hearing all of the sound is very important. Accuracy and quality is must.
but I also want some bass booming. I'm fairly sure I can get some very quality headphones (over ear) for 500 hundred, and I'm hoping you head fi'ers can direct me the cans I need! please let me know what you think.
What can anybody recommend for me? i have a 500 dollar budget, and i mainly use them on the computer. i have no amp either, (does the amp make a dramatic difference)? color, theme, and the looks in general aren't important to me, just the sound. I need that perfect sound!

Computer's usually come with low cost DACs and the "headphone jack" are not really great for driving headphones.

If all your looking for is good 2-channel audio.

Denon AH-D2000
Fiio E10 USB-DAC-Headphone amplifier.

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250-Ohm headphones.
External AC powered DAC/Amp.?

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 15
anybody? i've read a lot of reviews.. but i know most of the users here know way more than i do! if u were in my shoes, knowing what u know now, how would u spend the 500? acurate sound is high priority

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 15
dac = desktop amp? correct?
sorry im audio iliterate..

and you suggested those two because of the connector i would probably use? if i were to buy an affordable (~$100) desktop amp that used the longer input, would u suggest anything else?

Jul 11, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:
dac = desktop amp? correct?
sorry im audio iliterate..

and you suggested those two because of the connector i would probably use? if i were to buy an affordable (~$100) desktop amp that used the longer input, would u suggest anything else?

DAC (Digital to Analog Converter),
Audio is stored in a digital (zero & ones) format, amplifiers are analog (wave), we hear in analog (wave).
DACs are in everything that outputs audio, like TVs, mp3 players, iPods, IPhone, IPads, MACs, PC computers, stereos, sound cards, etc.

External add-on DACs can usually drive basic headphones to some degree or another.
Some DACs do come with a true built-in headphone amplifier.

I recommended the DT770 & AH-D2000 because they are "bassy" headphones.
The AH-D2000 ($300-$350) is very easy to drive, would work great with portable stuff, as well with a computer.
Computers built-in audio is not really great, more like barely decent, the AH-D2000 would be much better sounding plugged into the E10 ($80)
and the E10 plugged into the computer's USB port.

The DT770 Pro 250-Ohm is cheaper ($180) and would work with the E10 ($80)
but a an external DAC with a more powerful amplifier then the E10's would be preferred.
Or a sound card like the Asus Xonar Essence STX ($180)

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
for the past year ive been using Sennheiser EH-250 - a cheap pair. I use them for making music, producing. so hearing all of the sound is very important. Accuracy and quality is must. but i also want some bass booming. I'm fairly sure i can get some very quality headphones (over ear) for 500 hundred, and im hoping you head fi'ers can direct me the cans i need! please let me know what you think.

What can anybody reccomend for me? i have a 500 dollar budget, and i mainly use them on the computer. i have no amp either, (does the amp make a dramatic difference)? color, theme, and the looks in general aren't important to me, just the sound. I need that perfect sound!

look forward to reading your responses!
thank you,

sincerely,

ryan

Heya,

Denon D2000
Denon D5000
Hifiman HE-400
AudioTechnica A900X
AKG K550

With a Fiio E10, or any old AV receiver, or even a NFB-12.1 if you want something more (but not needed at all).

Very best,

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 15
With that money, Kenwood KH-K1000 would be my choice. With more money, Grado RS-1 or Koss ESP/950. Only the 950s need an amp, and they include it, happily enough. The RS-1 and K1000 can be driven quite fine from a soundcard or whatever else (assuming it doesn't bleed noise), and those aren't terribly expensive. I guess I could take on the challenge of breaking up the myth of the "not designed for headphones, headphone jacks" but it seems like fighting Godzilla. And I'm not wearing my Jean Reno shoes today.

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
DAC (Digital to Analog Converter),
Audio is stored in a digital (zero & ones) format, amplifiers are analog (wave), we hear in analog (wave).
DACs are in everything that outputs audio, like TVs, mp3 players, iPods, IPhone, IPads, MACs, PC computers, stereos, sound cards, etc.

External add-on DACs can usually drive basic headphones to some degree or another.
Some DACs do come with a true built-in headphone amplifier.

I recommended the DT770 & AH-D2000 because they are "bassy" headphones.
The AH-D2000 ($300-$350) is very easy to drive, would work great with portable stuff, as well with a computer.
Computers built-in audio is not really great, more like barely decent, the AH-D2000 would be much better sounding plugged into the E10 ($80)
and the E10 plugged into the computer's USB port.

The DT770 Pro 250-Ohm is cheaper ($180) and would work with the E10 ($80)
but a an external DAC with a more powerful amplifier then the E10's would be preferred.
Or a sound card like the Asus Xonar Essence STX ($180)=

This helped me alot :) thank you for taking your time to explain that. I'm just about the music lol. I guess i will have to get an amp as well

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
@ purple angel - I just ordered both items you suggested from amazon. Ill tell you how it goes! thanks again.

Which "both items", AH-D2000/E10 or DT770/STX?
Or both headphones?

Jul 12, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
D2000 / E10

so excited to get these 

A lot of  Denon AH-D2000 owners seem to like to recommend the Denon AH-D2000.
After you've used them for a little bit, maybe post to this thread a review on them, if you feel like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back