38 Portable Amps Review
Sep 16, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #106 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardsean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jamato,

How much of a difference do the eneloop batteries make, and where can they be bought?

eneloops (sanyo) are beautiful batteries, i just got 8 x AAA for my supermacro, they are lower noise floor and have a far longer life overall, they are the best choice for a portable amp, even though the AAAs rate @ 800mAH, dont worry, they are such quality that they last as long or if not longer than 1000mAH ratings that i have used. they simply dont need to overstate there case with overhyped ratings.

as to the audible effect, i wouldnt like to say, apart from the claim they are less noisy within this type of product = amp.

regarding ordering, heck i had to get them off ebay, all sealed, even got a free mini tester and a hard flip case with mine
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #107 of 213
The eneloop have a lower internal resistance, which is good for current supply and improves sound quality, imo. The eneloop are true to their rating (I have a charger that can give you actual readout of the stored amperes in the battery after charge). Even in appearance the eneloop are nicer, not that it makes any difference in sound. I have these in AA and AAA and have been very happy with the results.

Sep 18, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #108 of 213
Yes TTVJ Hybrid Millett is very hard to evaluate indeed.
In general, it's exceptional for classical, jazz, slow music which involve emotional and smoothness.

But with CANS such as ER-4P/S, UE11, UE9, The Millett is simply superb. There is some sort of synergy going on and They do Rock and Metal Rock very well as well using the above cans.

With ES2 and Millett, I only lasted 15min, it sounded too boring for my taste. Hornet and ES2 seems to mate very well.
smily_headphones1.gif

With Millett, the CANs you use are very important, if it's got a great synergy, it simply sounds superb. It's definitely better than my SM LE by far. But with unmatched CAN, it could sound pretty uninvolving, less dynamic, and boring! And yes it could sound horrible with Rock and Dance for certain CAN. It's unfortunate really.

UE10 and Millett, they don't do rock or Hip Hop very well.

I guess you have to test the amp with your CAN yourself whether they suit your need.

Sep 20, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #110 of 213
The LM4562 (2) with the OPA2111 have been installeed in my D1 since Saturday and have been burned in for about 108 hours since. It is my opinion that it is the equivalent of the LaRocco PRII MkII. So I will be changing the ranking of the D1 on the 3rd post of this thread.

The total burn in on this 2nd unit is 220 hours. Note: The first had to be returned due to technical difficulties, iBasso was top notch and even picked up the cost to return the 1st D1.

Sep 26, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #111 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Supermicro IV w/ the 4/11 mods outclasses everything except a Reference. I just did a test yesterday and it re-confirmed my previous findings. You must also realize that the Supermicro IV w/ the 4/11 mods was already the best (at least IMO). For an amp to come and surpass it is IMO a major accomplishment. Specially when you get 6 times the battery life, both 1/4" and 1/8" inputs/outputs, and a metal enclosure to protect the unit.

Are you saying the Micro has 6 times battery life or the Reference?

It looks like you are referring to the Reference since you continue to describe it with metal enclosure.

Sep 27, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #112 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by DDW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you saying the Micro has 6 times battery life or the Reference?

It looks like you are referring to the Reference since you continue to describe it with metal enclosure.

I am talking about the Reference which has a 200+ hour play time on 4 AAA batteries vs. 35 hours on the Supermicro IV w/ one AAA battery.

Oct 6, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #114 of 213
Have you ever done any opamp rolling with the P1? I have changed the opamps in my P1 and would rank it much, much higher than where you have it. I would have to open it up to determine what ones I ended up with but it jumps in sound quality by a huge amount.

Oct 7, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #116 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool reviews! Seriously, that format is cool
580smile.gif

Just wondering... Which amp synergized best with your HD600?

The closest I have is an HD580 w/ the HD600 grills and the HD650 cable. I will do some listening but I would think that clean amps with good extension would be favored. Things like SR71, MiniBox-E, Mini3, Supermicro IV, Reference, and the like.

Oct 7, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #117 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you ever done any opamp rolling with the P1? I have changed the opamps in my P1 and would rank it much, much higher than where you have it. I would have to open it up to determine what ones I ended up with but it jumps in sound quality by a huge amount.

No I have not, the unit I tried belongs to Vorlon1. If you give me some pointers I will talk to Vorlon1 to do some op-amp rolling. Perhaps we could do it at the same time we roll op-amps on the MiniBox-E.

Oct 7, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #118 of 213
I will have to open mine as I don't remember the opamps I used. I have it packed away right now but as soon as I get to it I will let you know what I find. :^)

It is too bad they didn't use better or more synergistic opamps as the P1 can really shine.

Oct 7, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #120 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The closest I have is an HD580 w/ the HD600 grills and the HD650 cable. I will do some listening but I would think that clean amps with good extension would be favored. Things like SR71, MiniBox-E, Mini3, Supermicro IV, Reference, and the like.

Thats fine. That will be what I am getting, HD580 with HD650 cable and hopefully I'll be able to find HD600 grills somewhere.

I'm not sure whether I will need a new amp for it or if my GoVibe V6 will suit it...

I was looking at the Supermicro, but I heard Xin takes years to ship their amps, so I think that one will be out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back