2359glenn | studio
Sep 30, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #22,472 of 39,998
Generally keep the pairs to same brands and physical constructions. The latter is more important because rebranding is quite common.
the 6g13c is perfect dead silent, the imbalance was present but sounds great when i just reversed the tubes and it sounds awesome now :) I might just leave these in for a while to test etc. :p

Sep 30, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #22,473 of 39,998
well besides the annoying hum on the left channel atm.... it sounds good :)

Ok this is not good. You have to troubleshoot to find out what's causing the left channel hum. Make sure the RCA connector is pushed in fully behind GOTL. Swap the same pair of power tubes around and see if the hum switches to the right?

Sep 30, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #22,475 of 39,998
Ok this is not good. You have to troubleshoot to find out what's causing the left channel hum. Make sure the RCA connector is pushed in fully behind GOTL. Swap the same pair of power tubes around and see if the hum switches to the right?
i didn't but it was only apparent with the 6as7gs tubes and it's dead silent with the 6h13c i'll test it later :)

Sep 30, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #22,476 of 39,998
i didn't but it was only apparent with the 6as7gs tubes and it's dead silent with the 6h13c i'll test it later :)

Alright if your 6h13c is dead silent and balanced, then it's very obvious you have problems with some of your 6bx7s and 6as7g. Just use the 6h13c for now and enjoy. Too much swapping in a short period of time does no favours for those sockets. :)

Sep 30, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #22,477 of 39,998
Hi Glenn,
I have adapters for both the EL11/12 to 6SN7 and EL3N to 6SN7, as well as a dual adapter for two octal tubes into one (6SN7 pinout). However, the EL11/EL3N adapters are made for the Feliks amps, and I am not sure if two of them on a dual adapter would work in the GOTL.
Will it work?

This will not work and will likely harm the amp.

I know @whirlwind has tried this with dual EL3Ns as driver in his GOTL and it does work.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1pc-Gol...639044?hash=item2ca65c7884:g:-W4AAOSw5IJWggQB

For EL11 or EL12, you will have to use this but not knowing how this is adapted, I cannot wholeheartedly recommend it. It's probably ok. What's his name who got this made, use 2 of these in Elise power sockets. So I believe this dual adapter is adapted similarly to the dual EL3N above.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1pc-Gol...623692?hash=item2cb7a5490c:g:aC4AAOSwJ7RYW8eI

You will use the dual adapter in the 6sn7 driver slot. Probably could use it in the power slots too but there wouldn't be room to use 2 x dual adapters in any given row of the power slots.

Just hypothetically assuming that you can use dual 2 EL11 as drivers in GOTL and 4 x EL12 spez as powers, I wouldn't know how that would sound. This is bothering on the frankenstein realm. Perhaps it might sound awesome but who knows...

Sep 30, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #22,478 of 39,998
I was the pioneer to use 6 x EL3Ns in Elise so I know very well how that sound. I'm also very familiar with how GOTL sound with ECC35 and 6 x 6bx7gt.

I will take the GOTL setup with those tubes, any time, any day, any song over the 6 x EL3Ns in Elise.

Sep 30, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #22,479 of 39,998
Hi Glenn,
I have adapters for both the EL11/12 to 6SN7 and EL3N to 6SN7, as well as a dual adapter for two octal tubes into one (6SN7 pinout). However, the EL11/EL3N adapters are made for the Feliks amps, and I am not sure if two of them on a dual adapter would work in the GOTL.
Will it work?

None of the single pentode tube adapters for Feliks amps will work.
This will work
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Gold-D...623692?hash=item2cb7a5490c:g:aC4AAOSwJ7RYW8eI
You can also use this on the outputs if you stagger them. Don't know how it will sound the impedance of these tubes might be to high.
Maybe with high impedance phones? But you will need 4 of these tubes and 2 adapters just to try.

Sep 30, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #22,480 of 39,998
i know this might be a silly question to ask, but having any driver tube, 6x 6BX7GT power tubes my left channel is lacking bass compared to the right channel, I attempted many tests, switched the cable from right to left connected to my headphones, switched drivers used different headphones, tried both SE and XLR and i come to the same conclusion it must be something with the power tubes, I just wish I could find some reliable consistent power tubes :frowning2: so my conclusion is obviously the power tubes are causing an imbalance or lack of bass from my left channel ?!?! well any feedback will be greatly appreciated thanks :)

When buying 6BX7/6BL7s usually have to be bought as singles. You have to make sure they are NOS not used!!!!
In TVs 1/2 of the tube was used as the vertical oscillator and the other 1/2 the vertical output. that is why only one side is cooked.

True NOS is more important then matched tubes. Usually you can find six single GE 6BX7s that are NOS.

Sep 30, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #22,481 of 39,998
I was the pioneer to use 6 x EL3Ns in Elise so I know very well how that sound. I'm also very familiar with how GOTL sound with ECC35 and 6 x 6bx7gt.

I will take the GOTL setup with those tubes, any time, any day, any song over the 6 x EL3Ns in Elise.
You are also one of the first to send your E-amp all the way back for service. LOL

Sep 30, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #22,482 of 39,998
When buying 6BX7/6BL7s usually have to be bought as singles. You have to make sure they are NOS not used!!!!
In TVs 1/2 of the tube was used as the vertical oscillator and the other 1/2 the vertical output. that is why only one side is cooked.

True NOS is more important then matched tubes. Usually you can find six single GE 6BX7s that are NOS.
Good point. However, many sellers sell used tubes as "NOS"/"NIB".

Sep 30, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #22,484 of 39,998

Sometimes the noise and hum is due to corrosion on the pins so I suggest that you clean them. I use fine sandpaper.
And sometimes the noise and hum is due to sitting unused for 60 years or so. If so, they might quiet down after burning in for several hours.

Sep 30, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #22,485 of 39,998
Good point. However, many sellers sell used tubes as "NOS"/"NIB".

There is a German seller that sold EL12 tubes as NOS at a high price. Angpsi is now selling off his tubes and had them measured and double checked. On a scale of 0-100, the "NOS" EL12 tubes measured 36 and 12 respectively. This may explain why UT had so much trouble with his EL12 tubes bought from the same seller.

Come to think about it, any recommendation for an inexpensive tube tester that will do the job?

On the other hand, I get the impression from my reading that test results may not indicate the true condition of a tube. In other words, a tube may measure well and still be unusable because of noise and hum. True?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back