2359glenn | studio
Sep 23, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #22,441 of 39,994
Hello Glenn...

Spoke to the seller, he said it worked after replacing a couple of tubes, and restringing it, so he was happy and didn't do anything else. So yes, I would appreciate a list of caps that are routinely wise to replace.

Yes, fed an MP3 player to the phono input. worked ok. Pretty good amount of HUM is apparent, but it has that audio character typical for the .time..where the low mids are emphasized.

Appreciate!!

:)

First thing is change the filter capacitor and get rid of that hum. It is a 15-15-10 a 20-20-20 @ 450 volts would be fine.
Problem is getting the can out and the new one being the same size. Easier to jump singles in 20uf 450 volt.
Can you solder??

Sep 24, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #22,443 of 39,994
image.jpeg

Hope everyone is feeling okay, this evening...

:)

Sep 25, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #22,444 of 39,994
That is a good idea but some of these caps don't have that mounting plate the twist lock ground pins are right in the chassis.
You need a high wattage soldering iron.

The best was old military stuff the caps had a octal base and plugged into a tube socket. Caps were to expensive for commercial
radios.

Sep 25, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #22,445 of 39,994
Those twist and lock ground pins were the way that most tv's were back in the day.
You stuck the pins through the chasis, then twisted them to lock them in.

Sep 27, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #22,449 of 39,994
Hope all are well this evening....

I have the WiFi served Jazz coming to me via a Rasperrry Pi (credit card sized computer) which feeds my dual mono DAC which outputs to the Glenn OTL which happily feeds my SENN 650's via 6X 6 BL7's the the "crazy good" Mazda ECC804...

The Rasperry Pi runs Linux, who uses a program called "VLC" to play the lossless files on a large USB hard drive connected to the router down the hall.

My iPhone has a "VLC Remote app"...I can load playlists, songs, albums, do the skip, shuffle, repeat, and control volume etc...all from my phone...

Ain't technology grand :) :) :)

image.png

Cheers, all...

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #22,451 of 39,994
Tonight is the big night for the 77 year old Saxophone player: "Pharoah Sanders"...

Last time I went and saw a horn player this age...he had some really good 30 somethings from the big city, who played like mad, while the elderly horn player stood behind the stage curtain just out of view of the audience, and enjoyed the musicianship of the youngsters, only playing a little bit.

Kind of expect the same tonight.

But since it is being filmed for a documentary...might get more.

Cheers :) :) :)

Sep 28, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #22,452 of 39,994
The ribbed Fotons that I think Mordy mentioned earlier in this thread sound fantastic paired with Tung Sol 5998 power tubes and the Auteurs. Very nice combo.

Sep 28, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #22,453 of 39,994
Where is Mordy?
Hi JV,
Fear not, I am around but not home and far away from my beloved GOTL - visiting my daughter in Canada. My sound system is YouTube via an old Chromebook, using Nakamichi noise reduction headphones.
Somehow, this "system" does not invite extended listening sessions, and the wow factor is noticeable absent....

Not much activity on the forums I check....

Will be back middle of coming week - meanwhile concentrating on family and grandchildren.

Curious if a pair of EL32 or EL11/EL12N could be used in the C3g slots if suitable adapters could be made - I think all these tubes are pentodes.
On the other hand, why bother? The GOTL sounds great with the "regular" tubes.
BUT.......

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #22,454 of 39,994
Hi JV,
Fear not, I am around but not home and far away from my beloved GOTL - visiting my daughter in Canada. My sound system is YouTube via an old Chromebook, using Nakamichi noise reduction headphones.
Somehow, this "system" does not invite extended listening sessions, and the wow factor is noticeable absent....

Not much activity on the forums I check....

Will be back middle of coming week - meanwhile concentrating on family and grandchildren.

Curious if a pair of EL32 or EL11/EL12N could be used in the C3g slots if suitable adapters could be made - I think all these tubes are pentodes.
On the other hand, why bother? The GOTL sounds great with the "regular" tubes.
BUT.......

Pretty sure the C3g Pentode sockets are configured in strapped triode mode...but a good question for Glen.

Sounds good on family, Mordy...

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #22,455 of 39,994
Back from the show. Pharoah did much better than expected. Took him a while to get up a full head of steam and he walked like an old man, for sure, But once he got goin'...

P1190781.JPG P1190812.JPG P1190976.JPG

But man o man...the guy below STOLE the show...a heck of a drummer "Jonathan Blake" had the crowd on their feet multiple times...he was really outstanding. Will be buying some CD's featuring him...

P1190853.JPG

Cheers, all!!!

:) :) :) :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back