2359glenn | studio
Sep 22, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #22,426 of 39,986
I can get in to some metal, mostly older stuff I use to listen to.
I definitely liked Thin Lizzy. Not even so sure what they call metal today, too many different types of it .

Just got this yesterday and I am enjoying it with the GEL3N & the ZMF Ori
5ba567c19239e.image.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #22,429 of 39,986
Neat
I have a old Philco that will cut 78rpm records off the radio. Early recording but don't know were to get 78 blanks.
Have a bunch o old radios.

Ha! How cool...mine says radio/phono but I don't see the phono input. Manual says a few models up from this one offered the "recording arm turntable" as an option, you had to switch out the playback arm for a "recording arm" :)

Montgomery Wards catalog page for mine in 1941 says $47.95...or $5.00 down and $5.00 a month.

Inflation calc says 47.95 in 1941 is equivalent to $857.48 today!!!

So a console radio like this was a major $$$ investment in Entertainment for its day!!! Can imagine what your Recording Philco must have run..!!

Thinking about converting this one to be a fun Bluetooth Speaker :)

Sep 22, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #22,430 of 39,986
There should be a phono input to fed audio in. Most of these radios sound pretty good when fed with a good clean signal.
You should be able to find a RCA input but it might be some thing different think the RCA jack came out in the 40s
My Philco has 2 arm's one for recording and one for playback.
Actually the Philco was my parents I can remember playing records on it and it falling over on me when I was little.
The phono graph opened out the front and I leaned on it and the radio fell forward on me. Didn't get heart but it scad me.
Yours might be older the Philco has two 6K6 output tubes and a 6J5 phase inverter 5Y3 rectifier all other tubes were locktal.

Sep 23, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #22,432 of 39,986
There should be a phono input to fed audio in. Most of these radios sound pretty good when fed with a good clean signal.
You should be able to find a RCA input but it might be some thing different think the RCA jack came out in the 40s
My Philco has 2 arm's one for recording and one for playback.
Actually the Philco was my parents I can remember playing records on it and it falling over on me when I was little.
The phono graph opened out the front and I leaned on it and the radio fell forward on me. Didn't get heart but it scad me.
Yours might be older the Philco has two 6K6 output tubes and a 6J5 phase inverter 5Y3 rectifier all other tubes were locktal.

We had a German Grundig console with turntable and AM/SW radio when I was growing up. In a really pretty cabinet. And we almost had it fall over on us too, but a big sister saved the day :)

Definitely cannot find an RCA input anywhere...have asked the gentlemen who sold it to me if he knows anything about where and what kind of input Jack it would be.

Don't know if any caps have been replaced in it. Seller said he restrung the dial/pointer, not sure if he did anything else.

Here is the specs:
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/montgomery_04br907a.html

:)

Sep 23, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #22,433 of 39,986
A bit off topic, but I framed a few more and hung some concert posters on my wall yesterday, the wall does not look so bare now and the concert posters look damn cool all framed up.

DSC00607.JPG

Sep 23, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #22,434 of 39,986
The RCA jack is on the right
We had a German Grundig console with turntable and AM/SW radio when I was growing up. In a really pretty cabinet. And we almost had it fall over on us too, but a big sister saved the day :)

Definitely cannot find an RCA input anywhere...have asked the gentlemen who sold it to me if he knows anything about where and what kind of input Jack it would be.

Don't know if any caps have been replaced in it. Seller said he restrung the dial/pointer, not sure if he did anything else.

Here is the specs:
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/montgomery_04br907a.html

JV
The RCA jack is on the Right side of the chassis. The left has the power transformer and 5Y3 rectifier. Right has the audio output transformer.
It is not on the back it is on the side of the chassis. On the schematic it says phono/TV audio input.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/download.asp?FN=\M0011000.pdf
It should sound pretty good no tweeter though. Electromagnetic speaker there weren't magnets
powerful enough for big speakers so it had a electromagnet that doubled as the choke.
A 6J5 phase inverter (1/2 a 6SN7) two 6F6 audio outputs in push pull,

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #22,436 of 39,986
The RCA jack is on the right

JV
The RCA jack is on the Right side of the chassis. The left has the power transformer and 5Y3 rectifier. Right has the audio output transformer.
It is not on the back it is on the side of the chassis. On the schematic it says phono/TV audio input.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/download.asp?FN=\M0011000.pdf
It should sound pretty good no tweeter though. Electromagnetic speaker there weren't magnets
powerful enough for big speakers so it had a electromagnet that doubled as the choke.
A 6J5 phase inverter (1/2 a 6SN7) two 6F6 audio outputs in push pull,

Hello Glenn...

Right-o! It was right there on the right all along, I had just missed it. It does work. Sounds OK, thinking some caps may need a refresh.
Hear ya on the speaker having an electro magnet that does double duty as the choke doing double duty.

Thank you very much for the schematic!!

Sep 23, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #22,438 of 39,986
Sep 23, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #22,439 of 39,986
Hello Glenn...

Right-o! It was right there on the right all along, I had just missed it. It does work. Sounds OK, thinking some caps may need a refresh.
Hear ya on the speaker having an electro magnet that does double duty as the choke doing double duty.

Thank you very much for the schematic!!

I can tell you what caps likely to be bad I used to restore old radios.

You fed audio into the phono input??

Sep 23, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #22,440 of 39,986
I can tell you what caps likely to be bad I used to restore old radios.

You fed audio into the phono input??

Hello Glenn...

Spoke to the seller, he said it worked after replacing a couple of tubes, and restringing it, so he was happy and didn't do anything else. So yes, I would appreciate a list of caps that are routinely wise to replace.

Yes, fed an MP3 player to the phono input. worked ok. Pretty good amount of HUM is apparent, but it has that audio character typical for the time..where the low mids are emphasized.

Appreciate!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back