2359glenn | studio
Sep 18, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #22,396 of 39,986
Hi UT,
One reason I am doing it is because I am trying to find great sounding inexpensive tubes. Paid less for all eight tubes than the current price for one of the drivers you use. On the other hand, the tube prices now are starting to go into the stratosphere, and it gets harder and harder to find good buys - most of the tubes I use were bought a few years back.
However, one of the tubes in the picture I just bought (Sylvania 6BL7) for $5 including shipping.

Sep 18, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #22,397 of 39,986
39F2496F-1BE8-4CB0-BB20-C0869473EFEB.jpeg

Ooo La La, with 6 pack of 6BX7 and 1940’s Visseaux 6N7G....

Wanted 6BL7’s but was too lazy to change them after a long day at work...

Hey....Mordy...all these tubes pretty inexpensive

And sound great....

Sep 18, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #22,398 of 39,986
Changed driver to 1970 “Harman Kardon” (actually Philips) 12AU7...

Can’t beat the 12AU7 and ECC804 for a completely quiet/black background...

Really sounds great!!

Thank you Glenn for letting me run a 12v tube, without a hassle

:)

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #22,401 of 39,986
All excited y'all...

Bought a ticket to see the Pharoah Sanders Quartet at a local theater, Sept 28th - 7:30pm, the show will be professionally video'ed for an upcoming documentary on Pharoah's life,

He is a big time Jazz Legend...77 years young, and he played with all the big big names in Jazz back in the 60's when America was experiencing great turmoil, and changes.

This is right down my alley!

sanders.jpg

Can't wait!!

Sep 20, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #22,402 of 39,986
All excited y'all...

Bought a ticket to see the Pharoah Sanders Quartet at a local theater, Sept 28th - 7:30pm, the show will be professionally video'ed for an upcoming documentary on Pharoah's life,

He is a big time Jazz Legend...77 years young, and he played with all the big big names in Jazz back in the 60's when America was experiencing great turmoil, and changes.

Can't wait!!

Listened to the beginning of the Karma album. Not for me, just as the music I listen to isn't your taste at all:

Your stuff is from the late 60's and early 70's - my stuff is from the 20's LOL....

Sep 20, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #22,403 of 39,986
All excited y'all...

Can't wait!!

Listened to the beginning of the Karma album. Not for me, just as the music I listen to isn't your taste at all:

Your stuff is from the late 60's and early 70's - my stuff is from the 20's LOL....

I wont even torture you guys with the stuff I listen to!

Sep 20, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #22,404 of 39,986

Understand Mordy!

And agree - you and I are diametrically opposed when it comes to musical selections :)

But I would say "my stuff" starts in the 60's and 70's and runs right up to today, in the same Genre...

:) :) :)

Sep 20, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #22,406 of 39,986
I am at work, listening to my portable rig, Mordy....this might be a bit more accessible for you:

Listen to the title track "All Blues"....

Cheers, my friend!

Nyet, not for me either. Now, the music I listen to is from the past, but played by present day people. Here is a beautiful bluesy recording of the foremost New Orleans band of today, recorded 3 months ago.
Maybe it will strike a chord.....

BTW, the band leader is women trumpet player, Shaye Cohn, who plays in the idiom of the classic jazz trumpeters but in her own style.
It's fun to watch how she indicates who should play a solo or in unison with hand and foot signals and nods.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #22,407 of 39,986
I wont even torture you guys with the stuff I listen to!
Thin Lizzy? I like some of their stuff. Currently listening to Amelie Lens (and I'm pretty sure no one on here will like her style of techno). The wife is away, so the amps and speakers are getting a really good work out.

Sep 20, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #22,408 of 39,986
Nyet, not for me either. Now, the music I listen to is from the past, but played by present day people. Here is a beautiful bluesy recording of the foremost New Orleans band of today, recorded 3 months ago.
Maybe it will strike a chord....
BTW, the band leader is women trumpet player, Shaye Cohn, who plays in the idiom of the classic jazz trumpeters but in her own style.
It's fun to watch how she indicates who should play a solo or in unison with hand and foot signals and nods.

Hear Ya Mordy...

Mine ain't for you, and yours ain't for me...

Just the way it is...cheerio...

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #22,410 of 39,986
Mordy...you might like "Trombone Shorty" - the current New Orleans musician...although he is not playing the 1920s era stuff...
Hi JV,
Found a Trombone Shorty when he was 13 with Wynton Marsalis - not bad:

But this nine year old is much cuter:

This little girl blows her heart out......
The tune was originally recorded 100 years ago - one of the first jazz recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back