2015 Tokyo Autumn Fujiya Avic Headphone festival
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2015 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36
Just wrapped up the Tokyo headphone show, was as always awesome. There is so much awesome audio "stuff" at these shows its crazy.

Campfire IEMs were well traveled.. :wink:

Lots of CDM love going on.

I thought the new Fitear was really cool.

Next show for us will be the December e-Earphone show in Akihabara.

Cheers.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Oct 25, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 36
[Edited: Pix added]

Great to see you there Ken.

I did really enjoy your AK380 -> CDM -> HE1000 setup there. A very sublime setup with the smoothness from the tubes.

These were nice not-so-little-yet-comfortable DAPs by Pioneer & Onkyo which were announced in IFA. We, in Japan, finally got to demo these and I do really like them. They're very reasonably priced.

VentureCraft is also getting into the DAP game and this was also a nice sounding player. The software was still very clunky alpha and the housing felt rather plasticky though. Their pricing is around  ¥90,000 which I think is quite steep compared to the Pioneer XDP-100R and Onkyo DP-X1.

I also tried the Heada Amp. You can read about it in Burrawong's Review here

FitEar debut their first hybrid with Fostex collaboration. I have to admit this one didn't thrill me as much as i found the treble a little rolled off for my tastes.

Antelope showed their Zodiac Platinum with Rubidium Atomic Clock.

This was surprise #1. Stax announced the release of the SR-L700 and to be honest, I wasn't expecting very much however when I heard it, I felt tonally it was a good fit between the SR-009 and SR-007Mk1s. The SR-007/9s probably edged out in terms of resolution over the SR-L700 however, tonally the L700s were very well balanced.

The Sennheiser HD800s was also a recent announcement. Very subtly it smoothed out the treble peaks.

Axel Grell

Currawong

Marshal Banana

Audeze showed off it's LCD-4s. Another nice sounding headphone however heavy as always.

There's been much talk about the Cowon Plenue so I had to give it a shot. It was nice too but I have to say, unless I have the Pioneer/Onkyo/VentureCraft the differences aren't glaringly different.

The Shure KSE1500 was the #2 surprise. I have to admit when I first heard it I was telling myself, "It's not that great"....I think I couldn't believe it myself that it sounded brilliant that I convinced myself that it was "just nice". We were given only 5 mins to listen & take pix as there was a rather convoluted queuing system just to listen to these. However later when Jude showed of his personal loaner/review unit, he had his AK380 line out into the KSE1500's line-in amp and it was just really brilliant. Mentally I jumped onto the other side of the spectrum and til now, a few days later, I can't forget about the KSE1500 - which will be detrimental to my wallet. Keep an eye out on these chaps.

Chord had a very fancy presentation of the Mojo which unfortunately I didn't attend. I have to say I do like the Mojo. It's left a bigger impression on me than the Hugo (but I haven't heard the Hugo for many many months).

Noble Kaiser 10 Universal Aluminium were really beautiful sounding. Excluding the Shure KSE1500 electrostats earphone/DAC-Amp combo,I would have to say that the K10 Universal Aluminiums would have been the most impressionable earphone to my ears. In fact I was desperately trying to hunt down Brannan to see if I could borrow a pair for 2 weeks. Most of you would wonder why I would do that when I already have the custom K10's but somehow I just feel the urge to compare the two.

One of my favourite transportable tube amp makers Analog Squared Paper was there too. Shikada-san continues to improve his offerings with tweaks here and there. 

Ultrasound showed their Edition M's there. They're the introductory to the Edition series using 30mm drivers. They're not as V shaped as their Edition 8s. They are very light too. However tonally they're not my taste.

AudoQuest's Skylar (background) was present along with the NightHawk and Beetle.

Who are these handsome devils!?

Suyama-san of FitEar and John Darko of DigitalAudioReview

Kawahata-san of Fostex & Jude

Nao-san of Sony and Currawong

The fans at Yamazaki-san's Atomic Floyd exhibit 

Narumi-san, our friendly Ultrasone girl

Tomoe-san, our local celebrity made a show too

Hope you guys enjoyed this long lengthy picture post. Yours truly
(Photo courtesy of Kenzo Kono of Emilai) 

Oct 26, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #4 of 36
Posts from the other thread (which I haven't moved, as it would muck up Ken's nice first post):

I was there today. At arrived at 10:30 and made the mistake of lining up with the people who wanted to purchase merchandise (this was mostly because I could not communicate with the people who were at the reception because they did not speak English). I spent 30 minutes lining up :)

If you have not been there yet, it can be a bit overwhelming. I recommend several things:

1. Bring your best source with the corresponding cables (useful for almost everything--see below). 
2. Bring your own portable amplifier (useful for testing headphones).
3. Plan ahead. Is there an specific piece of equipment you would like to listen to? Line up the music you want to use (create a playlist). In some booths you don't have much time.

I think it is well worth the visit. It is free, and I would not mind paying an entrance. 

It is overwhelming. Soo many brands, soo many options. Soo many things to listen to.

Some of the top-of-the-line headphones are connected to their own source and you cannot listen to your music. This includes Stax and the new Black HD800. It basically means that you can't really know how well they sound, specially since you don't know the music and they is wayyy too much ambient noise.

It is kind of funny that you can listen to your own music on the silver HD800s  in many other booths --albeit, with the specific amplifier they are trying to push. I guess they are becoming a benchmark headphone.

Some booths give you a ticket to comeback to audition their equipment. One of these is Shure. The KSE1500 are attracting a large crowd. ONce you sit on a table a timer starts. I am not sure how long it was, but it felt like 5 minutes. The KSE1500 are amazing. Sean Sullivan and Matt Engstrom were there. They were very humble with the praise and obviously happy that their team work has paid of. Sean also let me let me try the SE846 (a big thank you).

I also had a chance to meet Jude, who made good on his promise to let anybody to try his KSE1500. 

But in reality this is hardly a place where you can decide which equipment you want to buy. The headphone stores provide a much better environment for testing.
For me, it was more useful to know where things are going. Oh, and I benefited from talking to the Comply staff (Daniel) who looked at the shape of my ear to recommend me what to get. We discussed the merits of different tips.

Overall, I would strongly recommend it to anybody who still has a chance to be there. 

And this is probably the last time HF gets invited to the Fujiya show...

Sitting on the floor is an unusual thing in Japan, and I've been here long enough I normally don't do it, but by that time in the afternoon my feet were killing me, so spending some time listening with the Shures was welcome.

Wow, currawong has lost a few lbs from last spring / year! I wonder if the Shure will take him back to the dark side :wink:.
arnaud

Funnily enough, the L507s almost might. But I have the HE1000s, HD800s and Ethers...

I had a good time today.

Seeing familiar faces was once again the highlight.

I tried more Daps this time than my usual dac/amps, which weren't so prevalent this time.

Tapatalk wont let me upload photos..again.

I really miss Japan/Toyko (people, food, sights) <3 and I was I "love" since the first entry to E-earphone shop 
biggrin.gif
 spent a serious time there...

I guess in the next days some of you will share some photos and impressions from the show? Thanks in advance.

I was there today. At arrived at 10:30 and made the mistake of lining up with the people who wanted to purchase merchandise (this was mostly because I could not communicate with the people who were at the reception because they did not speak English). I spent 30 minutes lining up :)

If you have not been there yet, it can be a bit overwhelming. I recommend several things:

1. Bring your best source with the corresponding cables (useful for almost everything--see below). 
2. Bring your own portable amplifier (useful for testing headphones).
3. Plan ahead. Is there an specific piece of equipment you would like to listen to? Line up the music you want to use (create a playlist). In some booths you don't have much time.

Some of the top-of-the-line headphones are connected to their own source and you cannot listen to your music. This includes Stax and the new Black HD800. It basically means that you can't really know how well they sound, specially since you don't know the music and they is wayyy too much ambient noise.

It is kind of funny that you can listen to your own music on the silver HD800s  in many other booths --albeit, with the specific amplifier they are trying to push. I guess they are becoming a benchmark headphone.

Some booths give you a ticket to comeback to audition their equipment. One of these is Shure. The KSE1500 are attracting a large crowd. ONce you sit on a table a timer starts. I am not sure how long it was, but it felt like 5 minutes. The KSE1500 are amazing. Sean Sullivan and Matt Engstrom were there. They were very humble with the praise and obviously happy that their team work has paid of. Sean also let me let me try the SE846 (a big thank you).

But in reality this is hardly a place where you can decide which equipment you want to buy.

People were lined up from 10am for the general open.  The purchasing room actually got to go up through a separate line specifically for that floor.  Don't know if it would have been a longer wait elsewhere.  People were also let in early to go to the presentation rooms. I showed up early and got in the second elevator up.  And was there nearly all day - aside from lunch break.

As to:
1.  A very good idea.  So many DAPs - bring a microSD card with a few playlists on it if you want to try them out.
2. Meh.  If you have a portable setup, this can be handy.  Especially if you're looking for IEMs.  For full size?  Maybe not so much.  Oh wait - there is ONE HUGE EXCEPTION: Audeze had no source at their table at all.  And only an optical input for their amp available.  Nice beautiful LCD-4 on display, but nothing to hear from them except... the noise of the show floor.  A show oversight, but I'm sure they rectified that not long afterwards, hopefully someone who goes tomorrow can see if they had something to play for those beasts.
3. You don't have to.  The show floor is open for 7-8 hours.  If you show up early, you can take a walk around and see what peaks your interest.  I went through and noted some of the things I wanted to see or hear, and then went back (in no real particular order) and listened to them.  The exception is for blockbuster stuff like the KSE1500, or the 800s, or (especially) the Stax booth.  Some booths are also in terrible places (ie Beyerdynamic - couldn't get in to listen to the 1770 or the gen2 T1 due to constant crowd and their booth placement at the back with next-to-no room.)  I went to the Shure booth around 11:30 (30 minutes after open) and there was already a line.  Every time I went back the line seemed worse - so I gave up.  I'll chalk that up to "something I wouldn't buy anyways" to console myself.  The Hugo Mojo line was also pretty long.

Some of the booths are way to crowded to do any real listening to open headphones unless you crank them.  I'm guilty of standing behind people listening and talking over them to people in the booth...  Or the Astell&Kern anti-theft modules on their DAPs (secured to stands) going off every time somebody plugged something into them, although the rep got really quick at silencing and resetting them.

Depending on the booth/distributor/vendor partnerships, some stuff was in decent sized rooms of their own  - the 6th floor.  I listened to a lot of the iFi stuff (their 2 channel shelf setup is great) and even the Kingsound stats (not something I'd buy, but doesn't deserve the vitriol.)  Talking to the distributors and engineers is a great experience as well.  Definitely helped me pick a few.  And stuff dies down a bit between 12:30 and 2, and some presentations do a good job of emptying the floor (ie Sennheiser.)

But in general?  Not a place you can do critical listening.  Definite a couple thousand attendees - and lots of them young portables enthusiasts.  (The target for the show this year, it seems.  Lots of CIEM and universal IEM booths, and just as many, if not more DAPs - some really great, and some not.)

I'd love to be back tomorrow.  But unfortunately I decided to go home.  And a comedy of train scheduling later... it's 2am when I walk through the door.  Still, well worth it to meet a lot of great engineers and see their products.

managed to skip the line!

The lines used to be quite bad, but enough has been spread out throughout the day that they weren't as bad as in past years. Some people line up to get the bargains that are on sale. 

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #5 of 36
I was there on Saturday I really enjoyed the shown, however it was overwhelming. All kinds of amazing headphones and related gear. There were about 5 floors full of equipment and people. It was almost a mission to audtion some of the new stuff. I did not meet Currawong however I met Jude, nice guy.
I Spend Sunday in Akihabara shopping for photography equipment.
All I can say is if you like headphones, the Fujiya avic is Disneyland for headphones, amps and related equipment.:D

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #6 of 36
Having litteraly only 1h to enjoy the show I expected this would really just be about saying hi to old friends like Jude et al.

It turned out to be one of the nicest experience since I have been going to these spring and fall festivals.

I already posted my impressions in the various threads so this is just linking to OPs in chronological order:

Stax L-700: http://www.head-fi.org/t/677809/the-stax-thread-iii/6780_30#post_12021579

Sennheiser HD800S / New orpheus (discussion with axel grell, the father of the HD580/6x0 and HD800, no less!):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/731658/rumor-new-sennheiser-flagship-to-be-surfaced-soon/510_30#post_12021549
And
http://www.head-fi.org/t/785577/sennheiser-hd800s-unveiled/300_30#post_12021524

Shure KSE1500: http://www.head-fi.org/t/785377/shure-kse1500-review-shure-kse1500-sound-isolating-electrostatic-earphones/360_30#post_12021649

I wish I had more time and hang out with everyone during and after the show. Life's too crazy at the moment unfortunately, will try to do better next time :wink:.

Cheers,
Arnaud

Oct 26, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #9 of 36
Great show!
It was nice to meet some well known headfiers.
I really liked the new shure KSE1500 (maybe the best IEM I heard so far), the Dharma D1000 (very new flavor), the new Lambda 700 (fantastic sound for a price not so high) and the Ether I listen for the first time (I think my favorite planar headphone).
The Fitear Air were good but not as good as other high end hybrid IEM like UM Maverick or Oriolus to my ears.
I liked also a lot the Onkyo customs IEM, especially there monodriver entry model which is I think a fantastic value.

Oct 26, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #11 of 36
Wish I was there.

Was Estron there with a new FitEar plug for their cable?

Oct 26, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #12 of 36
Big thanks for photos and impressions!

Oct 26, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #13 of 36
Arrrrrr I'd love to attend and go back to Tokyo....love this city

Oct 26, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #15 of 36
[quote name="Mimouille" url="/t/785747/2015-tokyo-autumn-fujiya-avic-headphone-festival#post_12024461"I waaaaaannt to cooooome.[/quote]

Well.....

Ok....i quit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back